Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 8, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,522 of 12,086
These headphones are so sensitive!
I have like no room to play with the volume control! (Vali 2)
Is there something I can put between my DAC and amp to lower the volume being output by the DAC so that I have more room to play with the volume on the amp?
Right now it's being fed by my Modi multibit which outputs 2v, if I could lower that to ~1v that would seriously help...
Any ideas?

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #8,524 of 12,086
  These headphones are so sensitive!
I have like no room to play with the volume control! (Vali 2)
Is there something I can put between my DAC and amp to lower the volume being output by the DAC so that I have more room to play with the volume on the amp?
Right now it's being fed by my Modi multibit which outputs 2v, if I could lower that to ~1v that would seriously help...
Any ideas?

Are you using the Vali on the lower output gain?
And yes, Schiit makes a box called the SYS which will give you some more volume control. Put the SYS between the Vali and your source, and you can lower the output without any loss of fidelity.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #8,525 of 12,086
Are you using the Vali on the lower output gain?
And yes, Schiit makes a box called the SYS which will give you some more volume control. Put the SYS between the Vali and your source, and you can lower the output without any loss of fidelity.

Yes, I'm on low gain.
Great idea! I guess I'll order a SYS.
Thanks!

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8,526 of 12,086
Yes, I'm on low gain.
Great idea! I guess I'll order a SYS.
Thanks!

I have a SYS, use it for a lot of purposes, and both directions (in reverse just need to turn up volume to full, then it can be used without issue). I have never heard any sound degradation due to SYS. And I have a friend who uses it exactly for that purpose, to give him some volume control when he plugs in his very easy to drive Grado headphones.

Hope you have luck!

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #8,527 of 12,086
After several thoughts on my poor skillz in woodwork I decided to go to my friends in Kennerton for an advice and help.

Here are the cups treated with Tikkurila anticeptic and finally sanded with 1000 - 2000 - 2400 sandpaper

Then Carnauba wax was applied (to take care of the cups and preserve the wood)

Finally the cups were powered by Kennerton Team from the inside

Here is the wood video:

https://youtu.be/qczGRCoqYJg

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #8,528 of 12,086
After several thoughts on my poor skillz in woodwork I decided to go to my friends in Kennerton for an advice and help.

Here are the cups treated with Tikkurila anticeptic and finally sanded with 1000 - 2000 - 2400 sandpaper

Here is the wood video:

Uh did he finish the inside of the cups? You're gunna get more brightness due to the reflectivity..

Is it the hazy in person? The images make the finish look hazy.

Sep 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #8,529 of 12,086
Uh did he finish the inside of the cups? You're gunna get more brightness due to the reflectivity..

Is it the hazy in person? The images make the finish look hazy.

Actually I don't know yet - I am going to get the cups only on Monday

The inside of cups was cleaned from dust and a tattoo was made, nothing else
I am going to dampen the inside anyway

Sep 9, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,530 of 12,086
After quite a while of listening to the TH-X00 (mahogany) . I realized my preference lean towards a warm sound signature. The TH-X00 gives THE perfect bass for my taste but there is just a bit too much treble for me. Overall it is a great headphone. Great for EDM. Sometimes EQ a little to reduce the treble.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #8,531 of 12,086

Here is the wood video:

Sweet,  they turned out very nice....

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #8,532 of 12,086
After quite a while of listening to the TH-X00 (mahogany) . I realized my preference lean towards a warm sound signature. The TH-X00 gives THE perfect bass for my taste but there is just a bit too much treble for me. Overall it is a great headphone. Great for EDM. Sometimes EQ a little to reduce the treble.

I think, I pretty much have the same preference.
I also own Mahogany for quite a while, loving it to bits.
I am happy with its bass, however probably still could take 5% more bass. 
And I probably could take 5% less of the treble. (5% is not much.)
 Yeah, little EQ in Foobar makes it almost perfect.
I am just wondering if PH for example would be more to my taste.
Mahogany is still my best hps ever owned. 
It is just going for that last possible 5% to my own personal taste. :) 

Sep 9, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #8,534 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back