Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #3,376 of 12,087
I've had a pair for a short while now and estimate my set has about 50 hours on it to this point. I haven't really observed much in the way of audible changes in the process of initial listening. When I was reading others' reviews prior to the drop of this headphone, I was under the impression that bass was quite good but that it was not really a 'bass-head' phone. When I received it and played the first track, I was pretty shocked at the sheer amount of bass present. Initially, and even currently, I would most certainly consider it a bass-head phone. And I would say I even describe it as over the top. The bass is boomy and bleeds all over into the mids, to my ears. And this is coming from someone who really appreciates some dollops of quality lows! I find the mids a bit blurred and the highs to not have much presence/sparkle. I was hoping for more insight with this headphone in the mids & highs. As things sit right now, I'm not sure this one is a keeper for me. I may let it go to build funds for other things. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,377 of 12,087
  I was pretty shocked at the sheer amount of bass present. Initially, and even currently, I would most certainly consider it a bass-head phone. And I would say I even describe it as over the top. The bass is boomy and bleeds all over into the mids, to my ears.

You don't mention what amp/DAC you are using. Perhaps it is not a good pairing?

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,378 of 12,087
+1... none of the Fostex "donor" headphones have detachable cables which means none of their/contractors current manufacturing lines are configured to handle the work.  They would have to change their own line/contractor line or find a new factory.  All of which incur a cost so ridiculous you wouldn't want to see the final selling price on a limited 2000 unit run.  Besides the mahogany cups these are primarily a "parts bin" design and I'm sure the cost/changes required for that was minimal.  Take hardware from the 600/900, pads from the 500RP, and tweak the driver... boom new model on the cheap.  Love mine, not knocking these in anyway... just trying to put this question to bed.  

Detachable cables?  NOT IF YOU LIKE IT ANYWHERE NEAR THE CURRENT PRICE  :D

Well, the new TH900 MkII is going to have detachable cables. But they're a Fostex proprietary connection.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #3,379 of 12,087
I have the Lawton pads on the X00 and really enjoy the soundstage and more importantly the fit. My ears feel more in tune, I am enjoying the X00- just love Fostex drivers . The sound is very detailed and working well single ended on the Cavalli Liquid Gold and the Oppo BDP 105 DAC with the Nordost Heimdall USB Man the sound is really captivating. 

Could you compare the sound of the thx00 with Lawton compared to stock?

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,380 of 12,087
I don't understand how others are having good results with this pairing. My ZMFs sound fine with the QP1R but the TH-X00 sounds very thread bare. I just remembered that I have a Sony portable table top radio with a mini jack and gave it a shot. With the TH-X00 plugged into Sony boom box and the tone controls defeated it totally blows away my QPR1 and the THX00 now sounds robust with some bass. I don't have access to my desk top amplifier right now but a least I see the potential. Unless I have the "bad sound option" switched on my QP1R, this head phone requires a few watts to flesh it out.

Maybe you have the settings on the QP1R on Low Gain, that may explain the "totally blows away", "bad sound option", "requires a few watts to flesh it out", etcetera statements.  If you use Medium and High gain settings, then I really don't know what to say.  The TH-X00 is not a very hard to drive headphone, and Medium and especially High Gain settings of the QP1R are simply overkill power - more than enough to power the TH-X00 to exceedingly blistering-sounding levels.  That said, some people don't like the sound of certain pairings of headphones and sources, no matter what.  I adore the combination of the QP1R + TH-X00 as there is more than enough power to drive the TH-X00 and most headphones available in the market today, accentuating especially the treble and midbass/subbass areas of the frequency spectrum compared to DAPs and desktop systems alike.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #3,381 of 12,087
You don't mention what amp/DAC you are using. Perhaps it is not a good pairing?

I'm using a Sony ZX2 with the output bumped up via the sound enhancement disabling trick. It provides healthy drive and power this way... But the sound is just too dark. And I've never heard the ZX2 sound dark with any other phone. FWIW it's also dark in the same way out of several laptops we have. (Two Macs and a PC).

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #3,382 of 12,087
I've had a pair for a short while now and estimate my set has about 50 hours on it to this point. I haven't really observed much in the way of audible changes in the process of initial listening. When I was reading others' reviews prior to the drop of this headphone, I was under the impression that bass was quite good but that it was not really a 'bass-head' phone. When I received it and played the first track, I was pretty shocked at the sheer amount of bass present. Initially, and even currently, I would most certainly consider it a bass-head phone. And I would say I even describe it as over the top. The bass is boomy and bleeds all over into the mids, to my ears. And this is coming from someone who really appreciates some dollops of quality lows! I find the mids a bit blurred and the highs to not have much presence/sparkle. I was hoping for more insight with this headphone in the mids & highs. As things sit right now, I'm not sure this one is a keeper for me. I may let it go to build funds for other things. 

I do tend to agree. Im running from a Xonar DX in my pc, so no amp, and the DX has a high impedance out, but the bass is crazy! Awesome on basshead songs, but sometimes too much on other tracks.
I think I would probably enjoy the TH900 as I do love sparkly highs/treble and feel that these TH-X00's arent quite as sparkly as I enjoy. Though a decent DAC/AMP combo (and some burn in time) might fix this!
Dont get me wrong, these are still great headphones, I dont regret my decision to buy them at all! Paying 3x the cost for a set of TH900's seems crazy for slight improvements.

Dec 24, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,383 of 12,087
I have the Lawton pads on the X00 and really enjoy the soundstage and more importantly the fit. My ears feel more in tune, I am enjoying the X00- just love Fostex drivers . The sound is very detailed and working well single ended on the Cavalli Liquid Gold and the Oppo BDP 105 DAC with the Nordost Heimdall USB Man the sound is really captivating. 

Got pics? And which specific model of the lawton pads?

Anyone still have not receive thier TH00X yet? Im one of them:frowning2:

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #3,387 of 12,087
I just posted mine for sale! I'm going to miss them. they sound great, but are funding a pair of EditionX's

Also my HE560's are going. :/ 

But I'm sure they will sell quick.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #3,388 of 12,087
That sweeeeet bass.
Took the HM5 pads off my TH-600s and put them on my TH-X00s.
Heaven.

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #3,389 of 12,087
I can't sell headphones, though I do give some away, I get too attached to them. :xf_eek:

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #3,390 of 12,087
  That sweeeeet bass.
Took the HM5 pads off my TH-600s and put them on my TH-X00s.
Heaven.

Right? Swapping pads on these is mandatory for me because I really dislike the way the bass / mids sound using the original pads. Bass is one-noted and way too much of it making vocals sound muddy. 

1. Not true that bass on these are tuned lower than TH600/TH900 as suggested, it is way too much more in quantity in stock form.
2. Swapping pads to anything else (HM5, Lawton, TH600/900, etc etc) that put your ears farther away from the drivers will make these sound GREAT. It's like they had too many TH500RP pads leftover in the warehouse and decided to throw them on here just because.. 

But if you like the way the original pads sound then don't mind me 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back