Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #2,896 of 12,087
Well that does it.  "Final Countdown" by Europe just came thru my playlist.  I'm keeping these.  Just cancelled my eBay listing.  

I had sworn I wouldn't own more than one pair of high end headphones.  Just try in case I fou

Looks like it will be LCD-3's and TH X00.  I can't afford this.  But I'm keeping them.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #2,898 of 12,087
Drive by Incubus is my eye opener for these so far. The vocals are giving me shivers when they haven't before, and the bass really gives the track a warm feeling. The textures of the uber-distorted solo are superb as well.

EDIT: Steve Perry sounds f$%@ing AMAZING through these cans.

Dec 16, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,899 of 12,087
That's normal for DHL though.  Nothing to worry about.  If the package looks suspiciously opened too, that's also normal.

My DHL story:

I one time sold a 5.1 home theater speaker set. It was an expensive set consisting of Quad 12L's and an L Series subwoofer. All the speakers were in one box and the sub was in another. DHL lost the sub woofer.

When I tried to get reimbursed for the sub that cost about half of the amount of the entire set, they told me I was only entitled to 1/6 of the sale price because there was a total of 6 speakers and they only lost one.

So after a week of back and forth with several people they finally agreed to refund the actual amount that a replacement sub would cost. But it was a vicious battle.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,901 of 12,087
Mine have turned up. Were delivered to a completely different street to mine. Luckily to an honest person who popped them round this morning.

Had a quick listen. These have good potential if what I'm hearing about burn improvements is also the same for mine.

Time will tell.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #2,902 of 12,087
Bizarrely after 10 days of no status at all they showed up at the office. Better than the other way round though :D.

The frustrating thing is I won't be around to pick them up until the new year ... Sigh ...

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #2,903 of 12,087
  Well that does it.  "Final Countdown" by Europe just came thru my playlist.  I'm keeping these.  Just cancelled my eBay listing.  

I had sworn I wouldn't own more than one pair of high end headphones.  Just try in case I fou

Looks like it will be LCD-3's and TH X00.  I can't afford this.  But I'm keeping them.

bwah, that's no fun. I know that stress, that's the "time to eat ramen the next 3 months" stress

how do they compare to the LCD 3btw 

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #2,904 of 12,087
My tracking is still stuck on 'transport to destination country'. Wish theyd just get here already!
On the topic of amps, what do people think of the cheaper amps to power these? The Schiit stack looks good, but will cost ~AU$330 for the normal Modi 2/Magni 2, and ~$490 for the Ubers.. (uninsured shipping too)
Its hard to justify spending that money when I could buy some really nice in-ears for the same cash.
So if the cheaper dac+amps (under $300ish) only improve the sound of the TH-X00 slightly, I'd be better off with some nice in-ears I think?

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #2,905 of 12,087
My tracking is still stuck on 'transport to destination country'. Wish theyd just get here already!
On the topic of amps, what do people think of the cheaper amps to power these? The Schiit stack looks good, but will cost ~AU$330 for the normal Modi 2/Magni 2, and ~$490 for the Ubers.. (uninsured shipping too)
Its hard to justify spending that money when I could buy some really nice in-ears for the same cash.
So if the cheaper dac+amps (under $300ish) only improve the sound of the TH-X00 slightly, I'd be better off with some nice in-ears I think?

There are a few Burson HA160's in the classifieds for under $300, I've found that to be one of my favorite pairings so far. The bass is thunderous and tight! It's a good amp for a low price these days, if your headphone has a mellow top end. Avoid pairing with anything bright, and it's probably the cheapest ticket to transparency land.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #2,907 of 12,087
  I finally got around to actually listen to my pair despite having it for several days now (just haven't had time yet).

I decided to start with some of my favorite electronica albums, and I have to say, the bass response makes me laugh. I'm not really used to bassy headphones in general, since those are the kinds of headphones I typically avoid, so this is definitely ridiculous, in a good way. I guess I could say it's a nice change of pace from my usual kind of headphones.
smile.gif

I know I won't be keeping these though, because for me it doesn't really do anything better than the Audio-Technica MSR7, which is also cheaper. The MSR7 is a definite keeper for me; the TH-X00 not so much. It'll be fun to have for a while but that's about it....

How does the MSR7 do with wood?

It's all about the wood, man.   Screw the sound and the price. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,908 of 12,087

How does the MSR7 do with wood?

It's all about the wood, man.   Screw the sound and the price. 
biggrin.gif

one, two, three, four, and five

yea I've got five wood back headphones, with one out for repairs

I'd have to say this statement is tru! 

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2,909 of 12,087
  one, two, three, four, and five

yea I've got five wood back headphones, with one out for repairs

I'd have to say this statement is tru! 

I have two woodies now...  LCD-2 and the TH-X00.  Strangely enough they're my favorite headphones.  Coincidence?  Can't be.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,910 of 12,087
Was listening to these my first wooden HPs on my wooden Colorfly C4, is that enough to join the wood club?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back