Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 11, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,491 of 12,086
The length and girth of the MonoP is odd and in some devices it doesn't securely fit with one channel cutting (because the adapter slides out).

I too use the Sennheiser adapter, highly recommend for $15.

Yea dude the MonoP fits perfectly into my phone but it won't stay in my dac/amp at all. Just even a slight tug will render the left and/or right channels inaudible.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2,493 of 12,086
So. I have this is what I want to do with my cable. May have to contact BTG audio. Since this is their picture

I want to keep using the oem cable but do make it detachable like this

I think it would be possible right where the cable splits into each left and right

What do you guys think? This way it does not effect the sound quality

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,494 of 12,086
That's the same one that I use - shown in the review. I picked one up in London, New Malden, at CustomCable earlier this year. It's my favorite 1/4 in to 1/8 in adapter. Thanks, @PhilW!

Grado has a similar one, except the rubber housing at the 1/8" end is wide, and can interfere with portable phone or amp cases.  So yeah, Sennheiser.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,495 of 12,086
These pads were made for the thX00. Clearly, it is going to be difficult to replace them as they were created to get the sound just as it is. I think people should really give them a chance. They really are not as bad as people are saying, I'm surprised by it frankly as I like them.

I do not see any difference between the pads on my THX100 that came in today, and my Fostex TH500RP I got a few weeks ago.  

They look and feel identical.   Except for the cups, everything looks pretty identical on the 2.

They are not the same, the TH500rp are semi-open, and the impedances are different, but the bag, band, cables and pads look the same.    I think the pads on the TH500rp are great, so I do not mind that they are the same. 

Haven't had enough time to compare the sound yet, but I think the high frequencies of the THX00 are brighter (a good thing).

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #2,497 of 12,086
400 ohm?  I'm not surprised. I tested it out with a basshead song for the hell of it. Turned up the bass on the receiver and it was like I had a subwoofer mounted on my head.  Wow.  It was so insane I was scared I'd blow a driver so I turned it off. I'll have to test some Rock music with it and maybe do some A/B testing to see if it's usable.   I'd love to know what DAC is inside this beast.

I have a Yamaha receiver (not that one) and I heard from Yamaha customer support a few years ago the impedance of the headphone out was around 400 ohms. I believe it, based on testing with my headphones. That being said, flabby subbass for movies is not really a concern for me (music it would be) and I fully intent to use my x00 with my Yamaha receiver for movies.

Please do report back. I sold my beloved Pioneer VSX-1121 because I hated its surround processing for games. I then purchased the Soundblaster X7, which I like.

I miss the convenience of running everything via Hdmi to a high-quality avr, however. I hear Yamaha and Marantz are better for headphone listening than the other big names.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #2,498 of 12,086
Found that Sennheiser adapter here for $9 with free shipping, bought it on a whim. Couldn't stand the monoprice adapter that came with it. It just kept cutting in and out with the slightest movement of the wire. Got some pleather HM5 pads as well to slay a little more sound leakage since they were on sale at MP4nation's site. Hopefully with both, using these cans during my study sessions in the library will be viable.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #2,499 of 12,086
Grado has a similar one, except the rubber housing at the 1/8" end is wide, and can interfere with portable phone or amp cases.  So yeah, Sennheiser.

Yeah - the construction and quality of the Sennheiser adapter is really marvelous, no connection/audio cutout issues for me, and the 1/8 in connector is slim enough for most all inputs.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2,500 of 12,086
Anyone who got in on this drop and also the FAD Sonorous VI ... can you compare & contrast the two?

Wondering if they're more similar than different; if the latter, in what way? Thanx!

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #2,502 of 12,086
Hello guys :), I have a questions about Amp/Dap using with Fostex TH-X00. My budget for Amp/Dac and shipping is under 750€. I put some gears combos. In my opinion all setups are quiet good. Maybe some tryed most of setups and can advice. Ex. I don't want to spend ~300€ more if Asgard 2/Bifrost versus Magni 2/Uber- Modi 2 Uber is little step up.

BUDGET SETUP
Schiit Magni 2/ Modi 2 - Magni 2 Uber/ Modi 2 Uber (What is the Uber ? and it cost 100€ more)

PORTABLE/ DESKTOP SETUP
Chord Mojo/ Shiit Magni 2/Uber

ALL IN ONE SETUP
Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/
Amp

NICEST DESKTOP SETUP (for me :D)
Schiit Asgard 2/ Bifrost

HYBRID SETUP
Schiit Lyr 2/ Modi 2/Uber

TWO BROTHERS SETUP :D
Schiit Magni 2/Uber- Asgard 2 or Lyr 2

Here I make new thread with Poll about Amps/Dacs for TH-X00
http://www.head-fi.org/t/790899/what-amp-dac-you-will-take-with-fostex-th-x00#post_12155216

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #2,503 of 12,086
I would get a Schiit Multibit and just go for a cheapo amp, these aren't tough to drive.
Hello guys :), I have a questions about Amp/Dap using with Fostex TH-X00. My budget for Amp/Dac and shipping is under 750€. I put some gears combos, in my opinion all setup a quiet good. Maybe some tryed most of

BUDGET SETUP
Schiit Magni 2/ Modi 2 - Magni 2 Uber/ Modi 2 Uber (What is the Uber ? and it cost 100€ more)

PORTABLE/ DESKTOP SETUP

ALL IN ONE SETUP
Amp

NICEST DESKTOP SETUP (for me :D)
Schiit Asgard 2/ Bifrost

HYBRID SETUP

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,504 of 12,086
These cans are fun!

I'm enjoying A LOT more than I expected I would :D

Now the hard decision of either keeping both this and my HD650, or selling one off....

I am in total agreement with you. I went back and forth about buying them, and I figured the price/quality/performance was too good to pass up. I can count on one hand the number of headphones and IEMs that have put an immediate grin on my face at first listen, and these are one of them!

When I first put them on and turned on the music, I was really surprised at how much I immediately liked the sound. I'm no good at describing well but these phones are just right across the spectrum. Definitely fun and enjoyable headphones to have, and so far to my ears they seem very forgiving in terms of source (still kind of a noob, not sure if my terminology is right).

Not to mention they are just beautiful headphones. I have seen some comments around about the wood finish on cups not being perfect but mine are pristine. Glad I bit the bullet on these.

My only nag is the pretty terrible monoprice adapter, but that's an easy fix. Glad to know it wasn't just me who had issues with it.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #2,505 of 12,086
Hello guys
smily_headphones1.gif
, I have a questions about Amp/Dap using with Fostex TH-X00. My budget for Amp/Dac and shipping is under 750€. I put some gears combos. In my opinion all setups are quiet good. Maybe some tryed most of setup and can advice. Ex. I don't want to spend ~300€ more if Asgard 2/Bifrost versus Magni 2/Uber- Modi 2 Uber is little step up.

BUDGET SETUP

PORTABLE/ DESKTOP SETUP

ALL IN ONE SETUP
Amp

NICEST DESKTOP SETUP (for me
biggrin.gif
)
Schiit Asgard 2/ Bifrost

HYBRID SETUP

TWO BROTHERS SETUP
biggrin.gif

Schiit Magni 2/Uber- Asgard 2 or Lyr 2

Bifrost Multibit + Asgard is a huge step up.  It would be my #1 choice out of what you listed.  #2 would be m9XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back