Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 11, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #2,462 of 12,086
My stock pads are getting quite comfortable, they were a little stiff out of the box.... agree on the rotation/position being quite important.

These pads were made for the thX00. Clearly, it is going to be difficult to replace them as they were created to get the sound just as it is. I think people should really give them a chance. They really are not as bad as people are saying, I'm surprised by it frankly as I like them.

They remind me very much of the denon pads and people didn't seem to be complaining much about those.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #2,463 of 12,086
These pads were made for the thX00. Clearly, it is going to be difficult to replace them as they were created to get the sound just as it is. I think people should really give them a chance. They really are not as bad as people are saying, I'm surprised by it frankly as I like them.

They remind me very much of the denon pads and people didn't seem to be complaining much about those.

+1

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #2,464 of 12,086
If my ears fit in them I would have no problem with them but after a hour or so the outer part of my ear is in pain. When I get a replacement set of pads the stock ones will be set aside in a zip lock just in case.

Dec 11, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #2,465 of 12,086
If my ears fit in them I would have no problem with them but after a hour or so the outer part of my ear is in pain. When I get a replacement set of pads the stock ones will be set aside in a zip lock just in case.

When I first started using the THX00 they were like that as well but after awhile I either got used to it or the pads got softer. Give it time to 'remember' your ear but make sure you have the position so the seal is good then remember the opening positions relative to the gimble, that way they break-in the same position.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,466 of 12,086
I agree that the pads aren't nearly as bad as people are making them out to be once you rotate them to fit your ears properly...though they do get pretty hot after a couple of hours use.

Actually I dislike the cable more than anything...it's already getting kinked and twisted up real bad near the Y split, no matter how carefully I wrap the cable up. It's way too long for portable use too.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #2,467 of 12,086
Do the HM5 pads seal better than the stock TH-x00 pads?

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,469 of 12,086
So hyped about these lawton pads my girlfriend ordered for me, I hope they bring out some soundstage and cleanup this loose bass while also adding some comfort.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #2,470 of 12,086
Do the HM5 pads seal better than the stock TH-x00 pads?

A little...but that does absolutely NOTHING for the isolation (it still sucks). 

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,472 of 12,086
This is my receiver and I'm thinking about using it as my amp/dac now too through the 1/4 inch headphone jack.  I can't figure out the ohm impedance of it though looking at the specs.  Do you think it will be okay for THX or way too high impedance??

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5840_black__u/

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,473 of 12,086
  This is my receiver and I'm thinking about using it as my amp/dac now too through the 1/4 inch headphone jack.  I can't figure out the ohm impedance of it though looking at the specs.  Do you think it will be okay for THX or way too high impedance??

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5840_black__u/

I have a Yamaha receiver (not that one) and I heard from Yamaha customer support a few years ago the impedance of the headphone out was around 400 ohms. I believe it, based on testing with my headphones. That being said, flabby subbass for movies is not really a concern for me (music it would be) and I fully intent to use my x00 with my Yamaha receiver for movies.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,474 of 12,086
  I have a Yamaha receiver (not that one) and I heard from Yamaha customer support a few years ago the impedance of the headphone out was around 400 ohms. I believe it, based on testing with my headphones. That being said, flabby subbass for movies is not really a concern for me (music it would be) and I fully intent to use my x00 with my Yamaha receiver for movies.

400 ohm?  I'm not surprised. I tested it out with a basshead song for the hell of it. Turned up the bass on the receiver and it was like I had a subwoofer mounted on my head.  Wow.  It was so insane I was scared I'd blow a driver so I turned it off. I'll have to test some Rock music with it and maybe do some A/B testing to see if it's usable.   I'd love to know what DAC is inside this beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back