Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,521 of 12,086
  These are too good. They do clean up with some burn in and sound awesome. Simply superb and the price is just icing on the cake. I am so impressed with them. They're awesome plugged straight into the macbook.

I can imagine them getting really popular as more people hear how good they are.

Having had the TH-900s for a while and comparing the TH-X00's against them, the TH-X00's are an absolutely BARGAIN. They have most (if not all) of the impact on the lower end and a similar smoothness to through the midrange and upper range. It also sounds better balanced, as some reviews have suggested of the reduced V-shaped curve to the sound.

The cups are not as nicely finished as the urushi lacquer of the TH-900s but, at this price point, who's going to complain?!?

A real keeper here if you've heard and liked the TH-900s!

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #2,526 of 12,086
  Having had the TH-900s for a while and comparing the TH-X00's against them, the TH-X00's are an absolutely BARGAIN. They have most (if not all) of the impact on the lower end and a similar smoothness to through the midrange and upper range. It also sounds better balanced, as some reviews have suggested of the reduced V-shaped curve to the sound.

The cups are not as nicely finished as the urushi lacquer of the TH-900s but, at this price point, who's going to complain?!?

A real keeper here if you've heard and liked the TH-900s!

Also - I think because the treble has been reduced down from the TH-900, you can push the volume up more on these (without listening fatigue) and thus get that strong bass response. The treble was the limiting factor on the TH-900's which kept me from cranking them up, and that's less of an issue here.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,527 of 12,086
Anyone know what the impedence curve on these is like? Hoping for something pretty linear so they work out of my Yamaha reciever like my k7xx do.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,528 of 12,086

At least your's are still enroute, mine say it was delivered and signed for yet my last name is mispelled on the signature and no one was home at my house. I hate dishonest people. Now I'm not sure how I'll get a pair at all unless that person has a change of heart and drops them off at their proper home. :frowning2:

I was in the exactly same situation, are you in US? Call UPS tell them you don't have it and they will find out where they actually delivered it. They found my package yesterday and I will pick it up on Monday, it's not your fault, let them open an investigation. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #2,529 of 12,086
After a few days I really want to keep these even though I've promised myself only one high end pair of headphones.

With rock ballads from Dio or Halestorm these things are absolute gods.  The base really is too much on Jazz for me - it puts the bass over other instruments that it shouldn't (it isn't how it would sound live to my ears).  The combined better soundstage of the LCD-3, better details and placing the instrument emphasis around the parts that are more enjoyable really do make it better for how I like Jazz presented in a way that keeps me engaged.

If I listened to mostly rock I would sell my LCD-3's and keep these.  It makes me so so sad to sell them ... 

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,530 of 12,086
Anyone know what the impedence curve on these is like? Hoping for something pretty linear so they work out of my Yamaha reciever like my k7xx do.

all of the Denon/Fostex BioDyna drivers have always had a completely flat impedance curve, I wouldn't expect different here.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #2,531 of 12,086
man, these things really bring old school R&B/soul/funk to life.  Always felt those genres needed more bass, but due to the limitations of speakers of the time (subs weren't a thing) it wasn't really mastered in.  Feel like this is how this music should sound.  Al Green Tired of Being Alone is kicking some serious jams out right now.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #2,532 of 12,086
5 hours in and used in only a public setting, I feel like the notes are a little thin to me when paired with the AK Jr w/out an amp. I never dabbled in the sub-$500 range (Went from sub-$200 straight to LCD-2's when I saw em on sale for $800) so I don't know how this category of price is supposed to sound like, but I get the impression that I would like the HD650's and the SRH1540's more than these. I really like how the mids are forward and the treble is cut off a bit, as well as the detail retrieval, but it isn't as lush as I was expecting. I guess all this talk about how they are on par with $1k cans made me have unrealistic expectations, but I would definitely not choose these over my LCD-2's (someone itt said they were better than LCD-3's in some aspects?? A bit surprising to me, but I've also seen someone on headfi say the LCD-2's are his fav from the Audeze series)

Again, I never used these in a quiet environment so my opinion probably means jack s***. Just posting initial thoughts.

I also think (for the moment) that in regards to $-performance ratio, the DT 1350 for $180 is much better value than these cans at $400.

I'm not displeased with my purchase, but I don't think these cans are as much of a robbery at $400 as most people here are saying

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,533 of 12,086
Anyone listen to the X00's out of an o2/oDac? What were your experiences, would you recommend it or go a different direction in amp/dac?

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #2,534 of 12,086
That was me. I didn't intend to say they are better than LCD3s but that I would choose them over LCD3s if my primary consumption was rock. They can't touch feeling you are in a room of live Jazz and the overemphasis on the bass gets annoying.

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #2,535 of 12,086
  man, these things really bring old school R&B/soul/funk to life.  Always felt those genres needed more bass, but due to the limitations of speakers of the time (subs weren't a thing) it wasn't really mastered in.  Feel like this is how this music should sound.  Al Green Tired of Being Alone is kicking some serious jams out right now.

+1  add hip hop to the mix... I am listening to some Kendrick Lamar now, but it is mostly the bass riffs from the songs that are keeping glued to the X00s now... I wish I had the words to describe what I am hearing...

Marcus Miller soon to follow.. just for the bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back