Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 28, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #649 of 12,086
Just ordered a pair.  I've been seriously considering purchasing the TH-900 for ~ 2 years now.  Got really serious about it a year ago, and then decided the TH-900 had been out for so long that they might release an updated version soon.  So I waited even longer until I heard about the new mods released for the TH-900, which seemed to be an upgrade, but was significantly more expensive.  That kinda made me depressed so then I decided to wait some more.  6 more months pass, I haven't even been on Hi-Fi in probably three months, and BINGO, TH-0XX!  I even asked people if they thought Fostex would release any kind of upgrade any time soon, and the consensus was 'no they probably won't'.  Most of my life my indecisiveness has been a problem and hindrance; now, for once, it actually seems like it's going to pay off.  

So now I need to order an amp and DAC because I do not have either.  I'm going to get the O2 and ODAC unless anyone can tell me if there would be any issues/problems/compatibility concerns I should have with using the O2 & ODAC with the TH-0XX.  It's been awhile since I've researched them, but a year or so ago I think I came to the conclusion that I was going to get the O2 and ODAC as separate units from JDS Labs, but since time has passed I'm not sure if anything has changed that I should know about.  Do you have have any suggestions as far as where to purchase the O2 & ODAC from?  

Thanks, fellers!  :)

Edit:  My current headphones are ATH-AD900X's (without being powered by an external amp or dac), so that's what I'm transitioning from.  I'm very excited to say the least, but I'm trying to not get my hopes too high.   

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #651 of 12,086
I bought the d5k early on when I got into headphones. I really liked it at the time and had loads of fun listening to music with that headphone. Once I bought the hd650, the comparison between it and the d5k revealed flaws with the later than eventually caused me to sell it. But I always had a soft spot for the d5k. Although I considered repurchase a few times, the flaws always held me back. I never forgot the "fun factor" of the Denon though. 

The th-x00 will be a welcome return of the Fostex line back into my collection. I have a more serious stockpile of headphones now but, for me, it's important to remember to enjoy the music and not just be impressed with the technical abilities of the headphones and gear. I have high hopes thhat the th-x00 will do just that.

Finally, a big hats off and thank you to the Massdrop team and Fostex for making this possible. How refreshing to see a company bringing a new headphone to market in what I'd call "under budget." Well done...

beerchug.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #652 of 12,086
I will PM you as to not derail the thread.

David Guetta's Listen Again on Tidal was sounding fantastic on the TH-X00 this evening.

man i wish to know is there even a remote way to keep the headphone on the with the headband pushed to the back of my head or is prone to fall down especially with this design of earcups

i wear my audeze with the headband not touching my top and way back i find the clamping force of the audeze perfect

now also what about the differences between lcd2 rev2 and this new headphone 

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #653 of 12,086
  For the people that have tried them out, how are these compared to a He-500?

I see many on this thread asking for comparisons to planar magnetic headphones. It's not an easy comparison or apples to apples as they say. The sound between the two will always be appreciably different. Planars traditional offer "immediacy" with the speed of decay. Dynamic drivers based headphones tend to have a more romantic tone about the presentation....in general terms. 

Deciding between the th-x00 and the he400i is a pretty easy decision as they sound quite different. The he400i is pretty neutral and moderately quick on decay. It will sound "faster" than the th-x00. The hifiman at $299, IMO, is  great buy and a wonderful planar mag headphone to add to your collection if you don't have one. Always try before you buy if there is an opportunity. At the end of the day, the he400i is more of a complement to the th-x00 and there is certainly reason to own both. 
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #654 of 12,086
I'm curious if anyone who's tried the TH-X00 can compare them to the FAD Pandora Hope VI (maybe a long-shot, since the FADs do not appear to be super-popular).  I did order the TH-X00 (and was early enough to snag one of the guaranteed serial numbers), but I'm wondering if these may end up being redundant, considering that I own the FADs (and enjoy them quite a bit).

For reference (and any other redundancy advice), I also have the Audeze LCD-2.2, HiFiMAN HE-560, Sennheiser HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Premium (600ohm), AKG K7xx, Grado SR80e, and some Etymotic Research IEMs (ER-4p/s, ER-6i) for on the go, as well as a few others.  Yes, I know; that's a long list of headphones.  I don't plan to keep them all, but I'm still trying to decide which ones to keep (which is proving to be quite difficult).

Any guidance would be appreciated from those in the know.  Thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #656 of 12,086
  I'm curious if anyone who's tried the TH-X00 can compare them to the FAD Pandora Hope VI (maybe a long-shot, since the FADs do not appear to be super-popular).  I did order the TH-X00 (and was early enough to snag one of the guaranteed serial numbers), but I'm wondering if these may end up being redundant, considering that I own the FADs (and enjoy them quite a bit).

For reference (and any other redundancy advice), I also have the Audeze LCD-2.2, HiFiMAN HE-560, Sennheiser HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Premium (600ohm), AKG K7xx, Grado SR80e, and some Etymotic Research IEMs (ER-4p/s, ER-6i) for on the go, as well as a few others.  Yes, I know; that's a long list of headphones.  I don't plan to keep them all, but I'm still trying to decide which ones to keep (which is proving to be quite difficult).

Any guidance would be appreciated from those in the know.  Thanks in advance.

I think owing to many headphones, sell them all and get Orpheus and you never have to spent another headphones. :)

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #657 of 12,086
Almost pulled the trigger on this one, but considering all the hype about these - there has to be a catch. Will await more reviews.

Not sure there is really that much hype. It is a TH600 that has been modified to reduce the treble. The reality is even the TH900 is just ok ,not amazing. With that in mind these will be pretty good as long as expectation are realistic.

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #658 of 12,086
  Almost pulled the trigger on this one, but considering all the hype about these - there has to be a catch. Will await more reviews.

I pulled the trigger but cancelled it later. According to reviews and Purrin's measurements, this is a balanced TH600. That legendary bass is gone. Why couldn't they just tame the treble without touching the bass?..

Nov 28, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #659 of 12,086
Yeah, bass control, distortion not even near the TH-900. That amazing bass would have been a total killer feature. We're talking about 399 (or 520 to Germany) here so such expectations are kinda off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back