Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 27, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #11,326 of 12,086
Question... I have the th-x00 Ebony, with the driver only mod installed... I have NOT added the extra dampening foam that comes with the Lawton mod kit to the inside of the cups. Any idea what that extra foam would do to the sound? Everyone keeps saying “driver-only mod” like it’s a Gregorian chant, and installing the cup foam would bring about the end of days...!

Again, I may reply with what fjrabon said about this piece: "the foam piece will help absorb the very highest THD from flowing back into the cup, which reduces harshness".
There is nothing bad with installing it and it is fully reversable. Please tell us what are you impressions after trying it :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #11,327 of 12,086
Question... I have the th-x00 Ebony, with the driver only mod installed... I have NOT added the extra dampening foam that comes with the Lawton mod kit to the inside of the cups. Any idea what that extra foam would do to the sound? Everyone keeps saying “driver-only mod” like it’s a Gregorian chant, and installing the cup foam would bring about the end of days...!
And there you go... post #7068 answered my question...! Never mind!

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #11,328 of 12,086
And there you go... post #7068 answered my question...! Never mind!

If you like stock bass level don't install the cup dampening, if you want to reduce the bass and change the sound more than most any earpad does the cup dampening will do that. Cup dampening just changes it in the absolutely wrong direction. Also, same goes for the Lawton pads... not a good idea unless you don't like the stock bass level and want to really get rid of it and fundamentally change the TH-X00 into more of an Audio Technica sounding headphone. Neither is recommended, they in effect weaken the bass and neuter the sound.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #11,329 of 12,086
Again, I may reply with what fjrabon said about this piece: "the foam piece will help absorb the very highest THD from flowing back into the cup, which reduces harshness".
There is nothing bad with installing it and it is fully reversable. Please tell us what are you impressions after trying it :)
Definitely will try!

Posting impressions on the change to sound signature may have to wait as I also have two new additions to the “family” waiting for me - Massdrop x Focal Elex and Hifiman Sundara arrived while I was away... the anticipation is literally eating me from inside out...!

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #11,330 of 12,086
If you like stock bass level don't install the cup dampening, if you want to reduce the bass and change the sound more than most any earpad does the cup dampening will do that. Cup dampening just changes it in the absolutely wrong direction. Also, same goes for the Lawton pads... not a good idea unless you don't like the stock bass level and want to really get rid of it and fundamentally change the TH-X00 into more of an Audio Technica sounding headphone. Neither is recommended, they in effect weaken the bass and neuter the sound.
VRacer - oh. OK, that sounds positively ghastly. I already had a similar experience when I swapped the stock pads with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads... upon listening and reflection I determined that fenestrated must be a Latin word meaning “SUCK THE BASS OUT”. That was just awful and I don’t want to head anywhere in that direction again...

My issue with the th-x00 (Ebony, Lawton driver only mod, stock pads) is that the mids are too recessed and muddy... I would really like to bring them forward and make them a bit clearer and crisp. Just seems the bass is getting a bit in the way in those frequencies...

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #11,331 of 12,086
VRacer - oh. OK, that sounds positively ghastly. I already had a similar experience when I swapped the stock pads with Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads... upon listening and reflection I determined that fenestrated must be a Latin word meaning “SUCK THE BASS OUT”. That was just awful and I don’t want to head anywhere in that direction again...

My issue with the th-x00 (Ebony, Lawton driver only mod, stock pads) is that the mids are too recessed and muddy... I would really like to bring them forward and make them a bit clearer and crisp. Just seems the bass is getting a bit in the way in those frequencies...
Try the Ori pads. I believe you’d like them. There’s a sheepskin pair in the classifieds right now basically new from their description for I believe $45. Won’t break the bank either.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #11,332 of 12,086

Just out of curiosity, what headphone you find to have more mid presence? For me, mids is forward, and I listen to plenty of vocals, and should be pretty familiar if vocals sound recessed or not. Low toned male vocals are usually shown around 1k with upper mids showing mainly female vocals. I personally cannot find anything drastic in terms of tonality for those areas. Perhaps different ears in this case, perhaps my ears are just suited for the Ebony.:beerchug:

Vocal experience for me is almost like TG334 iem that is regarded as forward vocals(well not as such extreme). Vocals sound well present to my ears.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #11,333 of 12,086
Definitely will try!

Posting impressions on the change to sound signature may have to wait as I also have two new additions to the “family” waiting for me - Massdrop x Focal Elex and Hifiman Sundara arrived while I was away... the anticipation is literally eating me from inside out...!

There was a very good post with that exact comparison (Elex and Sundara) on the Elex thread. Both headphones seem very promising but polar at the same time. I don't recall the THX00 ever being that polar, just good fun, bass with mid presence on this thread. I'd love to hear your impressions of the Elex/Sundara and see if you concur (as well as your comparison to the THX00 and 400i) if you have them or the time.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #11,334 of 12,086
What amp are you using? Is it a reasonably low output impedance amp? TH-X00 is quite a low impedance headphones, only at 25 ohms. The sources I've been using were all under 2 ohms output impedance.

Is there an impedance response graph posted anywhere? How come Jude doesn't post impedance graphs?

I feel like I'm listening to these for the bass only. :o2smile: It shifts the focus to bass for sure.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #11,335 of 12,086
What amp are you using? Is it a reasonably low output impedance amp? TH-X00 is quite a low impedance headphones, only at 25 ohms. The sources I've been using were all under 2 ohms output impedance.

Is there an impedance response graph posted anywhere? How come Jude doesn't post impedance graphs?

I feel like I'm listening to these for the bass only. :o2smile: It shifts the focus to bass for sure.

Bass is great and all that, but... if you can listen to the soundtrack of the movie Interstellar... you will be amazed that there are other frequencies and that they even play nice with bass

As to what amp I am using... cough, cough.. I kinda pigged out on dessert first... I have more than a dozen headphones and another near dozen IEMs and listen exclusively through my LG v30... BUT, I have a new Topping D50 DAC, O2 Amp, CTH amp, and Little Dot Mk II on order, so I have the start of my obsessive collection of desktop pieces... I am thinking that I am missing something... I know, more DACs and Amps! And more headphones and IEMs!

I have no life. But I got TOYS!!!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #11,336 of 12,086
Bass is great and all that, but... if you can listen to the soundtrack of the movie Interstellar... you will be amazed that there are other frequencies and that they even play nice with bass

As to what amp I am using... cough, cough.. I kinda pigged out on dessert first... I have more than a dozen headphones and another near dozen IEMs and listen exclusively through my LG v30... BUT, I have a new Topping D50 DAC, O2 Amp, CTH amp, and Little Dot Mk II on order, so I have the start of my obsessive collection of desktop pieces... I am thinking that I am missing something... I know, more DACs and Amps! And more headphones and IEMs!

I have no life. But I got TOYS!!!
These arn't that hard to drive, I was just curious if possibly you were using something with significant output impedance since you are stating recession and muddiness. None of them one your list(I don't know about LD MK2) would be considered too high of an output impedance for the headphone. I drive it out of my DAP(Opus #2 and prefer it over the Mojo) in the office(respectable performance out of a portable device), but I prefer my desktop rig more as it's slightly better. It doesn't scale so much with better gear. I just like it due to the bass and overall tonal balance(which is pretty important to me, and at minimum a good headphone should meet the criteria), and not so pricey as the Focal Clear(which is another strong contender). Price to performance, tonality, unique bass character to distinguish(since this type of cupped bass is new to me), comes all together to be good choice. It's getting a lot of plus points from me due to the headphone being cupped as well, and tuned in such a way.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #11,337 of 12,086
These arn't that hard to drive, I was just curious if possibly you were using something with significant output impedance since you are stating recession and muddiness. None of them one your list(I don't know about LD MK2) would be considered too high of an output impedance for the headphone. I drive it out of my DAP(Opus #2 and prefer it over the Mojo) in the office(respectable performance out of a portable device), but I prefer my desktop rig more as it's slightly better. It doesn't scale so much with better gear. I just like it due to the bass and overall tonal balance(which is pretty important to me, and at minimum a good headphone should meet the criteria), and not so pricey as the Focal Clear(which is another strong contender). Price to performance, tonality, unique bass character to distinguish(since this type of cupped bass is new to me), comes all together to be good choice. It's getting a lot of plus points from me due to the headphone being cupped as well, and tuned in such a way.
Focal Clear is average.

May 2, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #11,338 of 12,086
You want to know about sound signature changes when modifying ? Follow this thread for all of the mods related including detachable cables mod

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/5250#post_12614662

This pair of mine has the sound signature changed to the way I would prefer it. Therefore, it depends on your taste, preferences :D. however, I hear that doing detachable mods, some may not hear the differences.....and some people hear it ?

Can I ask what connector that is and because it is external did that save having to modify the inside?

May 2, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #11,340 of 12,086
Hmm, anyone else have the Brainwavz HM5 Sheepskin Leather angled pads for their THX00s?
They're amazingly comfy and I didn't think they affected sound too much. But I do notice when I push them closer on my head so that my ear is closer to the driver that the sub bass is more intense. Which suits my tastes. I wonder if there are any other pads as comfy that match or better the sub bass quantity of the stock pads or these? The flat HM5s or the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin? It seems the Dekon's are the most popular in this thread? (And the most expensive, and also only on Massdrop?). Interested if anyone else has done much testing/comparisons of these for sub bass in particular?

After a bit of reading and going by some posts on reddit I'm kinda thinking my best bet to stick with the HM5 pads but also get some attenuation rings like Dekoni ones (but I only see them for $75 on Amazon in Canada What), unless there're others? Or just the Lawton tune up?
I have the ZMF Ori Pads on my TH-X00 PH. Couldn't be more pleased with them. I bought the Dekoni Fenestrated on Massdrop but never put them on. They are definitely thinner than the ZMF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back