Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #91 of 12,086
The mahogany wood is really beautiful, though perhaps unsurprisingly, the red lacquer on the TH-900 is on a whole other level in terms of luxuriousness and gorgeousness IMO. The $399 price point on this is way too temping however.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #93 of 12,086
  ^ Welllll, unless there's more than one first hand experiences with China quality control being a problem reported by more than a few people I believe this really is something to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't have proof. Just gut.

Ah...you should check out the Hifiman threads. More than enough first hand issues there :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad about these Fostex/Massdrop wood creation. I'm just saying in general, things made in Japan are typically better quality than China.

But now we've derailed. RELEASE THESE HEADPHONES ALREADY!

It would also likely have a bigger price tag to match.

By that logic, Audeze should have excellent build quality because built in the USA, yes? Yet, I believe Hifiman has far less problems than Audeze, and just as you suggested, pay a visit to the Audeze threads as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Never be too quick to judge.

Oh look, a new headphone that doesn't cost over 3000 dollars.

Right

Also, I own a lot of Chinese gear actually, Hifiman, iBasso, Audio GD those are my main stays really! So I'm not worried about them being made there at all

All I can say those is 100% this is my cup of tea! Limited Edition, wood back headphones... YEA buddy! 

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #95 of 12,086

And off we go with the hype!

Round the first bend it's "It Beats The TH900" in the lead, followed closely by "Kills The EtherC"........all are wearing blinkers, round the clubhouse turn it's "D7000 Destroyer"....etc 

Can't wait
biggrin.gif

better, 'THX00 is the end game"... 
wink.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #96 of 12,086
i'm thinking about selling off my HE-560. great headphones and all but the weight does get to me. what would i expect from this headphone? basically a closed version of the HD650? how comfortable is it? what amps are known to be a great pair with it?

thanks.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #98 of 12,086
I've been stalking Mass Drop site every couple days (ok almost daily) since I learned of the prototype..  I have no woodies, and the only "high-end" closed HP I have is the Pro-900... very limited usage out of that one.  I've also been leaning a little bass heavy recently, this checks a lot of boxes.

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #99 of 12,086
Nov 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #104 of 12,086
Hmmm, so this is a TH-600/900 minus the excitement?
The description sounds more like the Audio Techica Woodies,
as they are known to be mid-focused as well.

I doubt this will affect the status of the original TH line by a lot,
since they were known for some of the best bass around,
and the TH-X00 is obviously going to be less bass orientated (which may be a good thing for a lot of people that didn't like the original Fostex's)

However since the TH-600 has been discontinued,
I guess this is a replacement for it.
TH-600 sounded too much like the TH-900 and must have been eating into the TH-900's market.
I see where Fostex is going with this.
They are exchanging the TH-600 for the X00,
which has a completely different signature and will not eat into the TH-900 market.
This may become a competitor for the Audio Technica Woodies line instead.
Good marketing strategy by Fostex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back