Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #61 of 12,086
Made in China but cant complain with price of $399, these might be TH900 that never was  (I had TH900). Issue I had with TH900 was recessed mid's so I had to crank up volume to get past that flaw. I like quiet to mid level listening so if the massdrop edition will fix the recessed mids and tame high frequencies and not mess with bass this will be best value headphone of the year.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #63 of 12,086

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on the forum but doesn't the TH600 and TH900 share the same driver but just different and much more luxurious/tuned cup?

They are close, but still different. They are similar in that they use the same biocellulose materials  in the diaphragm. However, the TH-900's driver has about 20-30% greater magnetic flux density than the TH600.

As far as other minutiae go, I'm not quite sure. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #64 of 12,086
Why do you do this to me, Fostex?

As a past owner of both the TH-600 and TH-900, all the TH-X00 needs to do is get rid of the garish 5-6khz shenanigans which both the 600 and 900 share. If they can manage JUST that, this is a complete win.

Unlike the hyperbole and expectation bias, I expect these to sound more like the 600 than the 900.

And to those bitching about soundstage being smaller, well, yes, that's what happens when mids are pushed forward compared to before. You can't have everything. Part of the 600-900's soundstage properties is due to distant mids relative to bass and treble. This isn't the case for every headphone out there, but recessed mids do help some headphone soundstaging.

I would hope these to be bass/mid first, treble second. That would lead to less micro detail, but smoother, more enjoyable experience. I'll take that any day.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #65 of 12,086
Finally .... i was waiting for fostex to do something like this for ages. Ill be buying this, thats for sure. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #66 of 12,086

I don't know... I thought the drivers were different? The sensitivities are, but I don't know if that means the drivers are different. 

They are close, but still different. They are similar in that they use the same biocellulose materials  in the diaphragm. However, the TH-900's driver has about 20-30% greater magnetic flux density than the TH600.

As far as other minutiae go, I'm not quite sure. 

Wonder which magnet they're using for these TH-X00, I would presume given the price it's the TH600 drivers. It may not even be the exact drivers from those but a Chinese version of them. Are the original Fostex 600/900 made in Japan?

Also, I've always thought that the TH900 were overpriced for the money in terms of sound. The TH600 has managed to interest me a few times in hopes that it can be modded to sound better. With these at $399 it's quite a no-brainer if not to try but to own and really enjoy.

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #67 of 12,086
I love the sound of the TH-900, and find it to be worth every penny I paid for it (but of course, I wouldn't mind getting it at the price of the TH-X00 either, LOL). 

According to the massdrop discussion, the TH-X00 is made in China, like the TH-600. Whereas the TH-900 is supposedly a mix of both China and Japan. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #68 of 12,086
It would be cool if they would just start naming these massdrop edition headphones "head fi editions", Im pretty sure we are already like 90% of their customer base. Im probably in, if that all black 990 doesnt get me first. Nice job Massdrop.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #71 of 12,086
And to those bitching about soundstage being smaller, well, yes, that's what happens when mids are pushed forward compared to before. You can't have everything. Part of the 600-900's soundstage properties is due to distant mids relative to bass and treble. This isn't the case for every headphone out there, but recessed mids do help some headphone soundstaging.

totally agree. many are looking for forward mid but spacious sound stage. if we imagine that in real life, isnt that impossible? :D 

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #73 of 12,086

Wonder which magnet they're using for these TH-X00, I would presume given the price it's the TH600 drivers. It may not even be the exact drivers from those but a Chinese version of them. Are the original Fostex 600/900 made in Japan?

Also, I've always thought that the TH900 were overpriced for the money in terms of sound. The TH600 has managed to interest me a few times in hopes that it can be modded to sound better. With these at $399 it's quite a no-brainer if not to try but to own and really enjoy.

I believe the magnetic flux density falls closer to the TH600's spec of around 1 Tesla (which doesn't necessarily that the drivers are the same). It's still extremely powerful. There are only a small handful of headphones that would meet that spec.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #74 of 12,086
I've been dreaming up a scenario where I can buy Dan's Ether C pads and transplant them to the TH-X00. I can already tell by the looks of these that I won't like the stock pads they have on there. Dan hasn't offered yet to sell the Ether / Ether C pads so I might just need another set of Alpha pads that will do for now.

Nov 24, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #75 of 12,086
  Massdrop & Fostex did a great job on this one. I heard the final version a couple of weeks ago.

And off we go with the hype!

Round the first bend it's "It Beats The TH900" in the lead, followed closely by "Kills The EtherC"........all are wearing blinkers, round the clubhouse turn it's "D7000 Destroyer"....etc 

Can't wait
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back