Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7,726 of 12,086
Ok, so lately I've been listening to more Electronica and Dubstep stuff. Do the TH-X00 (especially the PH) excel at Dub? I'm still learning the different varieties and what not... so still learning.

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #7,727 of 12,086
  Ok, so lately I've been listening to more Electronica and Dubstep stuff. Do the TH-X00 (especially the PH) excel at Dub? I'm still learning the different varieties and what not... so still learning.

yes

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #7,728 of 12,086
  Yeah, he also said they were close in sound to the D2000's... a headphone which can be found used for hundreds less.

I owned a pair of those and returned them almost instantly. They sounded like complete crap! I now have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 which are much better, but I also listened to the TH-900 and they didn't sound anything like the D2000 either (which they are supposedly based on).

I really hope that reviewer is wrong, or there's going to be a pair of Ebony up for sale pretty quick. :frowning2:

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #7,729 of 12,086
I owned a pair of those and returned them almost instantly. They sounded like complete crap! I now have a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900 which are much better, but I also listened to the TH-900 and they didn't sound anything like the D2000 either (which they are supposedly based on).

I really hope that reviewer is wrong, or there's going to be a pair of Ebony up for sale pretty quick. :frowning2:

You know when the say take some reviews with a grain of salt? You need a whole cartridge with this guy. I wouldn't worry.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #7,730 of 12,086

I hope you report your findings back here when you eventually get them.

I also happily own the 900, and it's my absolute favorite headphone with some of the the best bass I've ever heard.

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #7,739 of 12,086
Well. Lots...lol.

Custom cups, dampening, reflectors, many different materials, open back design.

Anyways, the point is, Fostex can easily make their headphone sound so much better if they took a little more time with the headphones.

They already did, and to their own engineering preferences, their best headphones is the TH-900. Even the second gen is only removable cables :)

Jul 29, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #7,740 of 12,086
so, I decided to send my THX00 with EMU ebony cups and lawton stage 1 to Sonarworks.  

Sonarworks individual headphone calibration and measurement

I'll post the FR and THD measurement charts when I get them back.  Granted we won't be able to truly 100% compare them head to head with Tyll's or Jude's measurements due to different systems, but they should give us a pretty good idea of what is capable with mods, cups, etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back