Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #7,501 of 12,086

Today I should be able to listen to the Purpleheart.  Once I do, I should/will be able to compare the TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 E-MU Ebony and TH-X00 Ebony. 
beerchug.gif

I can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #7,503 of 12,086

Today I should be able to listen to the Purpleheart.  Once I do, I should/will be able to compare the TH-X00 Mahogany, TH-X00 E-MU Ebony and TH-X00 Ebony. 
beerchug.gif

Looked up the EMU and found out that the shipping fee to Singapore is reimbursed. Does that mean they're from Singapore? 

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #7,504 of 12,086
Looked up the EMU and found out that the shipping fee to Singapore is reimbursed. Does that mean they're from Singapore? 

I think both Creative and EMU is from Singapore

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #7,506 of 12,086
Someone on Massdrop page said he went to San Francisco Head-Fi meet and comparing Mahogany and Ebony version, and find  "They Ebony have a more refined sound with a really satisfying treble". 

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7,507 of 12,086
Someone on Massdrop page said he went to [COLOR=404040]San Francisco Head-Fi meet and comparing Mahogany and Ebony version[/COLOR], and find  "[COLOR=404040]They Ebony have a more refined sound with a really satisfying treble[/COLOR]". 

I had all 4 out in the Questyle room and people were spending some time comparing between usually two of the ones they were interested in.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #7,509 of 12,086
Gonna play devil's advocate here and say that 100g on headphone x can feel different to 100g on headphone y if the weight distribution is different. 
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #7,510 of 12,086
A question :  if massdrop released a version of the th-x00 with different ear pads would people buy into that also?  Because thats essentially whats happening with the ebony, mahogany and purpleheart variants.  It takes 5 minutes to change these cups over with a screwdriver, 5 minutes because they're interchangeable and designed that way.  I feel kinda bummed at massdrop for taking advantage of the hype train and manipulating people into purchasing two or three versions of the same headphone.

If different ear cups aren't available for separate purchase now, there will be once popular opinion suggests there's enough demand for them.  I would advise any current owners of the th-x00 to hold off buying any new variants of the headphone and instead explore ways of buying the ear cups individually, be it through Lawton or eMu or any other third party.

For those who dont have the th-x00, the ebony sure do look pretty  :wink:

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #7,511 of 12,086
So happy to see your post! Please come up with more details!

I'll come up with more details once I get some rest - it's past 3 in the morning over here. Then I drive from SF to the SoCal area later today, and then I can work on my thoughts of the different headphones. Stay tuned, if interested! :beerchug:

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #7,512 of 12,086
"The FR of the purplehearts is just as good (or "****ed up", depending on your POV) as the mahogany. Again, don't trust Jude's graphs. The purplehearts don't sound like that and they don't measure like that, unless you've ****ed up the seal. Don't change your order based on measurements. All of them sound more alike than different."

"I would say FR is mostly similar among all three with the Ebony being slighter flatter than the other two. As far as Jude's measurements showing the PH to have substantially more bass, I wouldn't trust them. It's a seal issue and I know exactly how to get the measurements wrong because I've gotten it wrong myself - especially on these headphones."

"Got a chance to A/B the TH-X00 today at the Wikia meet. I didn't spend much time with the mahogany, mostly focused on the purpleheart and ebony. The ebony was definitely more balanced, but I think I agree with Marv that they are mostly similar and I like the purpleheart the best as well, enough to leave the ebony group buy. Didn't notice any FR ****ery, I think I'm going to enjoy them as my go to fun can when I want a break from the HD800S. That said, the ebony was very good, just not what I need right now."

More towards what I was thinking really. I think I'll be happy with the PH as I don't really need a 'flat' TH-X00, I want them to be fun. Differences seem kinda minimal according to these guys.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #7,514 of 12,086
Out of the three X00's, the purple heart are the most similar to the TH600 in FR, it checks out that some people will prefer them. I'm considering leaving the ebony group buy, I wish they would make the cups available separately. If I buy the ebony just for the ebony cups does anyone want to buy a cupless brand new X00 from me? Maybe you could make your own cups from cardboard and have a poor mans X00?

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #7,515 of 12,086
I'll come up with more details once I get some rest - it's past 3 in the morning over here. Then I drive from SF to the SoCal area later today, and then I can work on my thoughts of the different headphones. Stay tuned, if interested! :beerchug:
Have all the rest you need. Freshen up and write the review well! I, and all the peeps who joined the Purpleheart drop, have been waiting for an extensive review of the Purplehearts for quite a while now. It's exciting to have someone experienced with all 3 coming up with it. Waiting patiently now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back