Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 16, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #7,487 of 12,086
I'm aware of the actual weight differences, but I'm more after impressions on the feel of the extra 100g.

It vary's so much person to person though, for me even super comfy medium weight headphones like Beyerdynamic I can't wear for more than an hour without getting a sore spot on my head under the headband, and heavy headphones are a nightmare for my head, while other people can wear the same heavy headphone without any discomfort. We all have different heads, not just in shape but in sensitivity to weight or clamp force. So imo impressions are pretty useless, you should know your own head by now, not be going off someone else's head! Also just want to say, most comfy headphone ever made is Sony MA900, weighs nothing, has zero clamp, and has super massive 70mm drivers to boot, can't beat that!

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #7,489 of 12,086

I'm aware of the actual weight differences, but I'm more after impressions on the feel of the extra 100g.

OK, my impression would be that they feel like about 100g extra.  

That said I have headphones that are light HD600 and very heavy HE-6 and find it is more headband type and clamping force when it comes to comfort and wear ability.

As mentioned above there may be to much difference in sensitivity to weight from one person to another to give better impressions...

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #7,490 of 12,086

Think of it like a McD 1/4lb hamburger added on top of your headphone
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #7,491 of 12,086
  Think of it like a McD 1/4lb hamburger added on top of your headphone
tongue.gif

That was the first thought that popped into my head too.  But we were measuring in grams... 
L3000.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #7,493 of 12,086
I wonder how, if at all, that the finish on the inside of the cups effect the sound signature? I would think the effect would be quite subtle if even audible at all. Anybody know a little bit about this?

Jul 16, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #7,494 of 12,086
Jul 16, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #7,495 of 12,086
Are we seriously talking about subjectivity in MASS? I mean really, you can tape some quarters to your current headphones and see what it feels like.

Nickles weigh about 5 grams each so about $1.00 worth should do it...

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #7,496 of 12,086

Maybe we should. For once LCD-2 weight never bothered me, for example...

It doesn't bother me either, although you can feel it in the neck muscles after a while, but I'm in good shape and lift weights so it takes more than a headphone to make me take notice.

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #7,497 of 12,086
  I wonder how, if at all, that the finish on the inside of the cups effect the sound signature? I would think the effect would be quite subtle if even audible at all. Anybody know a little bit about this?

​There was talk of how the inside of some higher end Grado cup had streaks of glue on the side of the cups that affects the sound so in a closed cup if its rough it might tend to breakup sound wave and a smooth finish might cause the sound waves to reflect around the cup causing distortion or if done right boost some frequencies while cancelling others.  But I don't think the effects are very large, but they would be noticeable.  Or like what I've found with dynamat it tends to clean up the bass and give it some definition and weight.

Jul 16, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #7,498 of 12,086
Does anyone have experience buying the mounting rings from FullCompass? I bought these https://www.encompassparts.com/item/7212493/DENON/9H30001707/POM_PLATE_2P_SET_ADH2000_5000 and the do lock in like they should, but the pads rotate very very easily. Before it took a little more effort. Is there a way to make it more snug? I should mention I'm doing this with the stock pads.

Jul 16, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7,500 of 12,086

Maybe we should. For once LCD-2 weight never bothered me, for example...

you'll have people posting pictures of their neck muscles. 
other people saying "well i haven't personally felt them, but people say that the 100g on headphone X feels better than the 100g on headphone Y"
a new round of audiophile terms for weight. "I would say that the 100g in the purpleheart is slightly more gravitational and more musical"
perhaps elevation above sea level, slightly less gravity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back