Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #6,961 of 12,086
The hardest would be to make the cups. But it will be much easier to have an already existing cups and cut it open, then insert some semi-angled grill over it ?

After thinking about a little more I don't think it would be very simple, my reasoning is that when building a SennGrado or other wood cup style Grado like set, the chamber dimensions (inlcuding thickness of the walls of the cup) matter a great deal, location of the driver within the housing along with how they are mounted can have different effects and not all of them good.

But I still would love to see someone try, just a little testing and tuning for me to take on.

Jun 18, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #6,964 of 12,086
Another vouch here for Lawton pads. Did the Lawton Level 1 (pads and tune up kit) and by far the pads are much more comfortable to my ears than the stock TH-600. The sound changes a bit but to my ears it is welcome and the comfort out weighs anything else. I can wear these for a really long time now.

Would really like to try and compare vs stock TH-X00, been trying to buy them for a while now.

Edit: I have TH-600s

Did you mange to do this? impressions please if any

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #6,965 of 12,086
   Cut away the knurled tube and chamfer so you are left with only the centre conductor and the semi open tube surrounding it . Solder positive to  the centre pin and negative to the back of the small semi open tube . Makes soldering easier and should be short enough to fit

As a follow-up, this isn't working either.

It seems as though there is only about 2mm of clearance in there, so leaving the semi-open sleeve & conductor still prevents the cup from going in.

I tried removing it all, but it's basically impossible to get a clean cut. I'm going to have to order those other connectors and see what happens.

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #6,966 of 12,086
Did you mange to do this? impressions please if any

Although I didn't get THX00 pads, I did get the TH500RPs, which are virtually the same. Those pads go a step further in flattening the response. Treble is slightly less sharp. The mids come up a bit. But so does bass. There is a bit more bass you can feel. Particular my in sub range. I think it has to do with the leather composition differences. The lawton leather is a sturdier, thicker, more natural leather. Comfort is better with lawtons since the ear doesn't touch any pad. But having said that. I like the seal of the TH500RP pads more.

I'm actually looking to buy another set of TH500RP/X00 pads. Even trade for my stock TH600

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #6,967 of 12,086
Well homies, my recable isn't working out (had to order some different connectors), but this morning I did get a chance to take some measurements and throw together a design for the closed back.

First, measurements:

I put together this prototype design, based on my conversation with @Daze513 last night:

It's printing right now, should be done in 4 hours, then i'll do a test fit. The goal for this first run is just to make sure that I have the screw pattern and general shape correct so it sits flush. The depth / inner contour / outer shape / grille is all easy to tweak down the road.

Jun 19, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #6,968 of 12,086
Well homies, my recable isn't working out (had to order some different connectors), but this morning I did get a chance to take some measurements and throw together a design for the closed back.

First, measurements:

I put together this prototype design, based on my conversation with @Daze513
 last night:

It's printing right now, should be done in 4 hours, then i'll do a test fit. The goal for this first run is just to make sure that I have the screw pattern and general shape correct so it sits flush. The depth / inner contour / outer shape / grille is all easy to tweak down the road.

Dude that looks great. Im working in locking down a measurement rig to test anything we come up with, and sourcing out some speaker baffling material of different densities to try and tune a bit.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #6,973 of 12,086
yes there is zero chance making them open backed will increase the bass, it will definitely decrease it.

That's strange I've noticed an increase in bass on these drivers. Not necessarily better quality or more accurate but it does sound like more bass. I'm trying to lock in a measurement rig to test out all the options I have so we should know for sure soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back