Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 23, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #6,992 of 12,086
Jeez, the Purpleheart isn't even out until September but it looks like they're announcing a new model in July now!

Here is the update from Massdrop:

"
Hey All -

Couple of quick notes on this one:

We’re super proud of the products we’ve been able to create for/with the Massdrop Community so far and I want to thank everyone who has joined this drop, and the previous TH-X00 drops. It really means alot to everyone here at Massdrop HQ to be able to share them with you all.

To that end, we decided it was fair to give a pre announcement--in case anyone wants to hold off ordering--of some extremely exciting news we’ve just received from our friends at Fostex: very shortly we will be launching the first drop of the Fostex TH-X00 in an exotic and very dark (colored) tonewood that is one of the densest available.

They are absolutely beautiful to see and hear and I can’t wait to share the official announcement (+ photos) with everyone. Watch for it in early to mid July, standard production delays for a brand new custom to be expected.

As always reply to this comment with questions/queries/concerns and I will do my best to respond."

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #6,993 of 12,086
  Jeez, the Purpleheart isn't even out until September but it looks like they're announcing a new model in July now!

"
Hey All -

We’re super proud of the products we’ve been able to create for/with the Massdrop Community so far and I want to thank everyone who has joined this drop, and the previous TH-X00 drops. It really means alot to everyone here at Massdrop HQ to be able to share them with you all.

To that end, we decided it was fair to give a pre announcement--in case anyone wants to hold off ordering--of some extremely exciting news we’ve just received from our friends at Fostex: very shortly we will be launching the first drop of the Fostex TH-X00 in an exotic and very dark (colored) tonewood that is one of the densest available.

They are absolutely beautiful to see and hear and I can’t wait to share the official announcement (+ photos) with everyone. Watch for it in early to mid July, standard production delays for a brand new custom to be expected.

As always reply to this comment with questions/queries/concerns and I will do my best to respond."

Sounds like Ebony

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #6,994 of 12,086
If it is really some sort of black wood (ebony or black bird's eye maple, especially the latter), I might feel pi55ed because that's the wood/colour I always thought would look awesome on the TH-X00. 
biggrin.gif

Well, probably I'll have to order that one too although I usually don't buy several colour/design versions of the same headphone/in-ear.

Anyway, gonna pick up my Mahogany TH-X00 from the post office this evening if I manage get there in time. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #6,997 of 12,086
I mean just the cups. Kind of how EMU is selling cups aside from headphones. Say they put a package together of 3 cup flavors. At the rate they are going, we will see cups of every material. And people keep on waiting for the latest and greatest lol

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #6,998 of 12,086

"
Hey All -

Super weird that they're doing so many variations so close in time. Makes it hard on consumers - why not just finish one drop before you start the next?

Having all three pending at the same time means they will unavoidably have lower sales than they would otherwise. There's going to be a lot of people who can't afford both, and haven't heard any, so they don't know whether to cancel orders or wait longer, etc.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #6,999 of 12,086
Super weird that they're doing so many variations so close in time. Makes it hard on consumers - why not just finish one drop before you start the next?

Having all three pending at the same time means they will unavoidably have lower sales than they would otherwise. There's going to be a lot of people who can't afford both, and haven't heard any, so they don't know whether to cancel orders or wait longer, etc.

I think they want to take advantage of the current hot product but waiting 3 months before they ship is way too long IMO, and then you need to add on the super slow shipping that MassDrop does, it takes about 3-4 weeks to get to Hawaii, I've gotten stuff from Russia and India faster.

Jun 23, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #7,000 of 12,086

I respect their business model and the growth they had with it. But I think they are flooding themselves out of sales. I think they may have confused the demand they had for original, exclusive, limited production products. This product in particular has lost the allure of being exclusive. And seeing that they continue to bang out new iterations, we don't know when it will end. If I'm going to wait as long as they make me wait, I at least want it to be an exclusive one run product. Instead since I keep hearing of a new and improved coming soon, I keep holding off for that new one and don't end up buying.

I hope they sell every last set of cans they can get Fostex to produce but part of the reason I dropped out of the second mahogany run, is because I knew this would happen. Glad I went a different route.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #7,001 of 12,086
I'm jumping off this TH-X00 train. Instead of buying 2, 3 or 4 variations of the same headphone, I'll just go straight to the top and get the TH900 Mk II.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #7,003 of 12,086
I mean just the cups. Kind of how EMU is selling cups aside from headphones. Say they put a package together of 3 cup flavors. At the rate they are going, we will see cups of every material. And people keep on waiting for the latest and greatest lol

I'd love to seem them do this. I am interested in how the other cups sound, but there's no way I'm buying a whole new pair just to hear those subtle changes

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #7,004 of 12,086
I think Massdrop is at the point where they should hold their 'Massdrop' branded products in stock and act like an online retailer.  Keep the regular drops and all that, but for products where they are partners and put their name on it, it should just be available always with immediate ship dates.

It's clear that the K7XX, THX00, etc. aren't going to be 'exclusive' limited edition products anymore.  And making people wait several months has to be killing some of their sales.  Purchase X number of units, keep them in stock and offer them on your site for immediate sale always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back