Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 27, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #544 of 12,087
All aboard the hype train.

I was about to buy piccolino iem cables when considering how much it'll cost to replace the cable on these cans (over $300) but fuggit. Cleaning iem's is such a hassle. Plus the targeted sound signature is a slam dunk for me. I hope I don't find them bright (since the TH900/600's are considered extremely bright, the brightness being brought down a notch might not mean much to me since I'm extremely sensitive to treble)

I'm probably ganna go with the moon audio silver dragons if I don't find the treble too high for my preferences 

Nov 27, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #545 of 12,087
  Interesting... I wonder why there wasn't this much hype for TH-600's in the past. Is it the mahogany cups? The tweaked sound signature? 

The TH-600 were MSRP $1,000.  $600 difference. That eliminates a lot of people.  Treble tamed.  Mahogany cups. Exclusivity (until the next drop at least).

Now the chance to jump on the Fostex train with some improvements at a huge savings is pretty HYPE.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #546 of 12,087
  If I were prudent, I wouldn't order these....but I wanna
blink.gif

Anyone know how these compare to Beyerdynamic DT770pro 80 ohm? I just bought those last month.

I had a couple pairs of DT770 Pro 80ohm years ago when the Denon D2000 was released and sold both of those for a pair of D2000. It was clearly an upgrade all-around and the TH-X00 should be a step above the D2000 as is the TH-600. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #551 of 12,087

Thanks Will, 

10ft cable, time for cable mod with 4 ft length and 3.5mm connector. =)

Yep, solid way to go. I was thinking about modding a pair so they have 3.5mm connectors hanging a couple inches down from either earcup, then making a couple cables that'd fit. Not enough room for a full connector in the earcups.  

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #552 of 12,087
I'm going to see if Brian at BTG can add mini-XLR connects to both earcups to make the cable detachable. I know he's done similar mods for Beyer DT770/880s.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #553 of 12,087

Yep, solid way to go. I was thinking about modding a pair so they have 3.5mm connectors hanging a couple inches down from either earcup, then making a couple cables that'd fit. Not enough room for a full connector in the earcups.  

Well, in that case, I would probably get a piece of plastic/woodie to hold the connector/socket on the surface of the cup and connect with a small wire inside. Would not be visually perfect though. 

Another way to get I guess is just to switch out the cable without the the detachable mod. Less expand-ability, but would like nicer.

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #554 of 12,087

I'm going to try to get it done where the 3.5mm connectors are a part of the housing as I don't want to have anything hanging lower than the earcup housings other than the cables themselves. I may have to screw another type of connector in for it to be absolutely flush, hopefully not a small HIFIMAN connector or HD 800 connectors, but may have to as a last resort. We will see...

Nov 27, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #555 of 12,087
Well, in that case, I would probably get a piece of plastic/woodie to hold the connector/socket on the surface of the cup and connect with a small wire inside. Would not be visually perfect though. 

Another way to get I guess is just to switch out the cable without the the detachable mod. Less expand-ability, but would like nicer.

That's another option too, just replacing the cable, keeping it looking clean like it is now with the stock cable. I will be trying first to make it detachable as well as making the connections look as clean as possible, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back