Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 27, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #511 of 12,086

Yea I mean, if you're going to buy them anyway, why not get in early? Makes sense. 

It'd be cool to see low serials going for more on the secondary market (as we've seen with K7XXs on ebay). Probably a better investment than beanie babies, probably a worse investment than actually investing.  

And when your wife asks why you're spending more money on headphones you just tell her that your'e "diversifying your portfolio".  

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #512 of 12,086
Any reason to get these instead of the SRH1540? Aside from price

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #513 of 12,086

Fun fact, the #1 on my head is actually one of two #1's in the world. This #1 was one of our production prototypes, someone in the drop will get the real #1. 

Nice. I'm in. I keep re-reading these early reviews and the wood cups are just too gorgeous to pass up. I really can't wait to get these on my head. I was in the 700's when I jumped in, maybe I'll get #777 and win the Powerball.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #514 of 12,086
  Any reason to get these instead of the SRH1540? Aside from price

Well the 1540s are hideous and the TH-X00 are a work of art.  
biggrin.gif

I've heard good things about the 1540s though.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #515 of 12,086
so i am new to massdrop , so are those offered for a limited time then there will no more to order, or can they be ordered anytime like after a month or so

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #518 of 12,086
i would immediately order if i just know that the clamping force is not as loose as the th900

and if the headphone is as loose with the same clamping force as the th900 what options can i do do to make it more tight

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #519 of 12,086
Originally Posted by jackharm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Once this drop is over you won't be able to order a pair until a (possible) later drop in the future occurs.

I imagine someone will sell theirs for $380

Totally not worth not having warranty to save $20 or not wait for the next drop which will probably be months .

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #521 of 12,086
i would immediately order if i just know that the clamping force is not as loose as the th900

and if the headphone is as loose with the same clamping force as the th900 what options can i do do to make it more tight

They use the same frame and headband. The earpads on the TH-X00 are thicker, thus why the clamp force is marginally higher, but it's not like fitting your head into a new HD650. 

I know where you're coming from though, too much clamping force is like having a really weak villain trying to crush your head all day. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #522 of 12,086

And when your wife asks why you're spending more money on headphones you just tell her that your'e "diversifying your portfolio".  

That's what I used to tell my parents when they'd complain about me buying headphones. High-end stuff maintains it's resell value, I can always get my money back if I want it. 

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #523 of 12,086

Will the drop end early if people hurry up and buy all the available units?

Because I really want people to buy the rest and for the drop to end early.

Yup, if they sell out, the drop will end early and our warehouse will start working on fulfillment. 

Nearly 1300 sold. This isn't going to last much longer than 24 hours.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #524 of 12,086
1. Do these wrap around the average neck decently for portability?

2. Is it foolish to consider these even remotely portable? I would like to use em in library/starbucks settings 

Nov 27, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #525 of 12,086
  1. Do these wrap around the average neck decently for portability?

2. Is it foolish to consider these even remotely portable? I would like to use em in library/starbucks settings 

1. Yea, but the earcups are bigger than most things intended for portable use and they don't fold totally flat so they'll push your chin up a bit.

2. Starbucks would work fine, you can turn them up to drown out the outside noise, library would be more questionable because these leak more than most closed back headphones. Does your library have some floors where sound is ok? 

TBH, biggest challenge you'll have with trying to use these as portables will be managing the cable and connector. Keep the twist ties it comes with and you should be good, or find some other solution. Either way, it's ~10ft and thicker than most headphone cables so IMO that's the real challenge to overcome. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back