Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 23, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #5,071 of 12,086
Here is an example of bass processed in the recording with an Aphex Aural Excitor - a studio workhorse piece of gear that first got prominence in the 1970's & 1980's, and a few other brands followed it. It was often used live in very large clubs and when switched on, would take the low bass to a deeper thundering foundation by sub-synth harmonizing, phasing, dynamics and octave extension. Many here know this sound from club attendance - it is unmistakable when switched on. The Aphex is used on some trax on this album. Here, Marcus Miller is playing bass, and afterwords went to Miles Davis band, where that deep foundation live just enveloped the stagefront. A cool wind-down type album, in full, won Grammy in 1982. Sounds great on SACD or vinyl lp thru Fostex TH-X00.

Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight - full album 39 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgtZPXl6VGM

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #5,072 of 12,086
  Here is an example of bass processed in the recording with an Aphex Aural Excitor - a studio workhorse piece of gear that first got prominence in the 1970's & 1980's, and a few other brands followed it. It was often used live in very large clubs and when switched on, would take the low bass to a deeper thundering foundation by sub-synth harmonizing, phasing, dynamics and octave extension. Many here know this sound from club attendance - it is unmistakable when switched on. The Aphex is used on some trax on this album. Here, Marcus Miller is playing bass, and afterwords went to Miles Davis band, where that deep foundation live just enveloped the stagefront. A cool wind-down type album, in full, won Grammy in 1982. Sounds great on SACD or vinyl lp thru Fostex TH-X00.

Grover Washington Jr. - Winelight - full album 39 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgtZPXl6VGM

Great album! Two thumbs, way up!

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #5,073 of 12,086
So far wearing the th-x00 for more than 1 hour is torture for me. The pads are too hard, headband is fine. The k7xx on the other hand I can wear for two days straight and hardly feel it on my head. Hope those alpha pads come in sooner.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,074 of 12,086
  So far wearing the th-x00 for more than 1 hour is torture for me. The pads are too hard, headband is fine. The k7xx on the other hand I can wear for two days straight and hardly feel it on my head. Hope those alpha pads come in sooner.

I had the same problem. The stock earpad would press my ears in and after an hour the same problem. Our heads or ears must be shaped the same. I don't understand how people are capable of wearing the TH-X00 with the stock pads for extended periods of time.

The Alpha pads also gave me improved sound quality and less in-your-face presentation with the best comfort of any headphone I've ever worn. Seems like there is a 50/50 split on people who think the Alpha pads sound better with TH-X00 and the ones who tried Alpha pads and went back to TH-X00 stock pads. So far there is no general consensus that the Alpha pads will improve the listening experience for you.. but if we both had the same comfort issues with the same problem with the stock pads.. there is a good chance you will prefer the Alpha pads more than the stock ones.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #5,076 of 12,086
I end up bought X2, used one.

Waiting for TH X00 is too long. Just really need a pair of headphone, I want a new sounding rather than my 1-2 years Beyerdynamic COP.

I think my choice, X2 is the best! It is really effing neutral to my ears.

TH X00 would be my FUN BASS can, and this X2 can play a good jazz song.

Any advice to make my X2 sounds better? :D

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #5,077 of 12,086

You wont need to EQ the TH-X00 if you want nice bass and some sparkle on the highs - they complement the HD800s perfectly for me.  The HD600s were very very close to an modded HD800 tonally so i think you'll be happy :) 

EQ the TH-X00 Bass up if you're a basshead and really want them to bump on certain genres though.   It's like a subwoofer on your head. 

Everybody should try it at least once! +6 bass doo ittt

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #5,078 of 12,086
Is there a way to buy the stock pads from somewhere?  I might be buying these headphones from someone but they only come with alpha pads as he got rid of the stock pads.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #5,080 of 12,086
  I think your best place is this thread. In the last page or two, someone has been saying how they hate the stock pads. They might swap you. 

Well in that case...

Anybody dislike the stock pads?  Provided I buy the th-x00 (should know in the next day or two) I will buy them off you!

Send me a PM if interested, thanks!

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #5,081 of 12,086

I had the same problem. The stock earpad would press my ears in and after an hour the same problem. Our heads or ears must be shaped the same. I don't understand how people are capable of wearing the TH-X00 with the stock pads for extended periods of time.

The Alpha pads also gave me improved sound quality and less in-your-face presentation with the best comfort of any headphone I've ever worn. Seems like there is a 50/50 split on people who think the Alpha pads sound better with TH-X00 and the ones who tried Alpha pads and went back to TH-X00 stock pads. So far there is no general consensus that the Alpha pads will improve the listening experience for you.. but if we both had the same comfort issues with the same problem with the stock pads.. there is a good chance you will prefer the Alpha pads more than the stock ones.

Sounds promising. Softer/squishier pads and more room in cups alone would be a massive improvement. Stocks are actually surprisingly comfortable when I first put them on, but quickly start feeling claustrophobic and hard against my head, even though the clamp isn't strong.
It seems like the alpha pads are backordered, so it might be a week or two before it even ships.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #5,083 of 12,086

These are my older set of X00's with he alpha pads, I should be getting my new modded X00's from Peterek Next week.

I thought we had covered the alpha quality with the X00's already?

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #5,084 of 12,086

These are my older set of X00's with he alpha pads, I should be getting my new modded X00's from Peterek Next week.

I thought we had covered the alpha quality with the X00's already?

That seems to be a pretty badass piece of TH-X00s.
Although, I am still not sure if I am gonna give a try to Alpha pads over stock pads, due to the many controversial impressions around. (Necessary, not necessary. Only for comfort or sq too. Sq is improved or destroyed. Is there difference at all, etc.)
My ears are pretty small/average. So I am sure I will have enough space for my god given organic hearing tools in stock pads. But if it would improve anything, I'd like to play with Alpha pads. But 5 people seem to be on 8 different opinions regarding that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back