Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 25, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #5,101 of 12,086

Awesome - so the dude who bought them on ebay just gave them back to you? Does Ebay/PP reimburse him since it was found stolen? 

The ebay seller (who bought them off of somebody else) ended up refunding the buyer.

Feb 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #5,102 of 12,086
Here's another cool use for our TH-X00 which hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread.

In the 1970's many rock albums on big labels were intentionally recorded with thin bass, and a cut-off of low frequencies (not there). Won't go into the reasons for that, but with our TH-X00, the bass-heavy configuration allows some of those albums to shine by reinforcing or enhancing the low frequencies that are there already.

Here's 2 examples of sensational vintage rock albums that benefit in this regard with our TH-X00. Full albums here for rockers -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A88-h_SzpNg
Montrose - Montrose s/t 1st album. This also is Sammy Hagar's first recording, and before Van Halen. IMO - Sammy's best vocs. RIP Ronnie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZGtjQJ2Wks
Trapeze - Medusa album. Early Glenn Hughes on bass here, after his band Finders Keepers & before he joined Deep Purple.

And, a 3rd treat, here as a newer, more recent fantastic rock album, in full here, that has bass recorded great to start with, as a reference point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgt79NWs86I&feature=em-share_video_user
Cry Of Love - Brother album.

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5,104 of 12,086
  If the fostex x00 and the he-500 are at the same price which one is better?

Not heard the 500s, but since a lot of people in this thread compare them to the 400i's almost equivalently, I would say the 500's are better than the X00's. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #5,105 of 12,086

For home use? Unless you like a bass heavy almost u shaped sound the HE-500 is a superior headphone. Just need a somewhat decent amp. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #5,106 of 12,086
I'm going to force myself to join the next drop on these, I need to try them out as they look like a good fit for metal.  It is going to be a long several months though since I don't expect these to drop again until the end of summer probably.

Maybe I'll pick one up from the sale forum once we inevitably get a new stream of lightly used ones in once the latest drop starts shipping in May.

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #5,108 of 12,086
Hey. I ordered my TH-X00 on the last drop and now I am looking for an amp or amp/dac combo.
What are you guys using?
I am thinking about Lake People G109 vs iFi micro iCan SE or Chord Mojo vs Grace Design M9XX (but that is hard to get).
Any other recommendations? Thx

Feb 26, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #5,109 of 12,086
Hey. I ordered my TH-X00 on the last drop and now I am looking for an amp or amp/dac combo.
What are you guys using?
I am thinking about Lake People G109 vs iFi micro iCan SE or Chord Mojo vs Grace Design M9XX (but that is hard to get).

I dont think theyre that hard to drive to be honest - at work I use my Macbook Pro and volume is at 55% max. I dont know what the impedance curve is like on these cans but unless you really want to future proof you dont need to go too crazy (i think).  Standard schiit stack might be good. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #5,112 of 12,086
Yes, I want to move from where I am now, so Gungnir Multibit is first on my list, so that's why I am thinking about iFi micro iCan SE for now. Then maybe Mjolnir 2.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #5,113 of 12,086
What are you guys using?

The chord mojo and the grace m9xx imo are are so close to compare with each other. Either one is going to work great with the X00

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #5,114 of 12,086
I was thinking of using a Feliks Audio Espressivo tube amp and a Bifrost 2 DAC with these. 

The Espressivo rolls off highs a tad bit, maintains quite a bit of clarity, adds fairly little distortion, and warms up the sound a bit particularly in bass and low mids. As far as I know, the Bifrost 2 is fairly flat. 

Was wondering how the X00s might fare given all that?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #5,115 of 12,086

For home use? Unless you like a bass heavy almost u shaped sound the HE-500 is a superior headphone. Just need a somewhat decent amp. 

Own both and can say that the HE-500's definitely come out on top  but the X00's are really solid and fun headphone, good addition to the collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back