Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 24, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5,089 of 12,078
  Alpha pads seem to be quite popular though.
I am just wondering if it is for comfort or sq?

For me it was all about the comfort...  

I bought 2 sets one for the TH-X00 the other for the TH-500RP that share the same uncomfortable stock pads.  Now much happier with both sets of headphones.

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5,091 of 12,078
Has anyone tried installing the old Th-600 cups? They sell for cheap ($25!) on lawton's site and seem like they would be good for modifying these to be more discreet and durable portable use. I'm really curious how they'd affect the sound signature though, and for $25 I'm half tempted to just try it for S**ts and giggles.

Feb 24, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5,092 of 12,078
  I still don't understand why peoples are changing the pads.

If the TH-X00 sounds as good as it does it's probably because they don't have the same pads as the TH-600/TH-900/Denon DXXXX.

Yea its a bit of a risk - im in it for comfort mostly...also kinda interested in how bassy the thx00 can get with alpha pads lol

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,093 of 12,078
  Has anyone tried installing the old Th-600 cups? They sell for cheap ($25!) on lawton's site and seem like they would be good for modifying these to be more discreet and durable portable use. I'm really curious how they'd affect the sound signature though, and for $25 I'm half tempted to just try it for S**ts and giggles.

But but the mahogany is so pretty...why would you??

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #5,094 of 12,078

Too late bruh! Those exact cups are already on mine :D

Yea its a bit of a risk - im in it for comfort mostly...also kinda interested in how bassy the thx00 can get with alpha pads lol

You actually lose bass quantity and decay with the alpha pads.

But but the mahogany is so pretty...why would you??

I thought the same, but once I did the switch I actually like what I heard better than stock. Bass is more potent and soundstage is wider, but at the expense of sharper treble and less mids. I'm getting the 600 cups dampened, as we speak. The mahogany is beautiful, don't get me wrong. Just a bit too flashy for me.

Feb 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #5,095 of 12,078

Maybe it would make them more thow-aroundable but I think most people would consider that a downgrade from the beautiful wooden stock cups.

The th-600 cups are just black earcups. Lawton probably only has them cause of people who send theirs in to change to his other wooden cup options.

So basically they pay (big money) to move from black cups to wooden cups, and now you want to pay to move from wooden cups to the black ones?

He's got a good business model hidden in there.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #5,096 of 12,078
  Hey all, I recently had my TH-X00's stolen (serial #0997), so if any of you are in the southwestern Ontario area (particularly around the GTA) and you see somebody trying to sell this pair I would appreciate if you could message me to let me know. Thanks.

UPDATE: I was fortunate enough to have my headphones returned to me by someone who bought them on ebay. If anybody else ever finds themselves in the situation I was just in (having headphones like these stolen), I would suggest posting immediately on websites with prominent reviews of the headphones (like here on head-fi), as well as (in this case) on massdrop's comment section for the headphones (the latter is what helped in the return of mine). Also, be sure to note the serial number of your headphones and take pictures. All that being said, I am super happy to have these back (was REALLY sad about having them taken).

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #5,097 of 12,078
  UPDATE: I was fortunate enough to have my headphones returned to me by someone who bought them on ebay. If anybody else ever finds themselves in the situation I was just in (having headphones like these stolen), I would suggest posting immediately on websites with prominent reviews of the headphones (like here on head-fi), as well as (in this case) on massdrop's comment section for the headphones (the latter is what helped in the return of mine). Also, be sure to note the serial number of your headphones and take pictures. All that being said, I am super happy to have these back (was REALLY sad about having them taken).

Wow that is awesome on so many levels. Congrats to you and props to the ebayer.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #5,099 of 12,078
  comradery is pretty strong here sometimes.

I'd even say most of the time. We "can heads" are some pretty good peeps overall.
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #5,100 of 12,078

Awesome - so the dude who bought them on ebay just gave them back to you? Does Ebay/PP reimburse him since it was found stolen? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back