Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 21, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #5,041 of 12,086
A friend made this video to show a lack of articulation hes experiencing on one side of his TH-X00... I can't tell if there is anything abnormal though. What do you all think? Is there something wrong or is this the same as yours? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNShtfWr32Y

Looks like the screw holding the hinges that hold the cups to the main frame is over-tightened somehow. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,043 of 12,086
Are they different from your pair? Could someone post a comparison video? Thanks for the help!

Both cups on my headphones can be swiveled just as much (about 30 degrees). I  think that the left side on your friends pair is like it should be. Both sides should be the same so there is something wrong with the right side. Perhaps he can try to loosen the screw a bit, also make sure there is a washer there.

Feb 21, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #5,044 of 12,086
Both cups on my headphones can be swiveled just as much (about 30 degrees). I  think that the left side on your friends pair is like it should be. Both sides should be the same so there is something wrong with the right side. Perhaps he can try to loosen the screw a bit, also make sure there is a washer there.

I would just call Massdrop. That's why they gave you a warranty.

Feb 21, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #5,045 of 12,086
  how does the thx00 stack up against the alpha and mad dogs

I haven't been able to do an accurate comparison since my Alpha Dog pads have been squished down too much and need replacements.

With the squished down Alpha Dogs versus the TH-X00 with brand new Alpha pads, the TH-X00 is hands down the better headphone.

It is semi-open and therefore it won't suffer from sounding like a closed headphone. The T50RP has always had problems IMO with getting the treble to sound lively or extended.. that is the only downside to the Alpha Dog, otherwise the mids are good despite the distortion that the measurement graphs show, and the bass is also very linear while not quite as punchy as the TH-X00 but almost as fun.

The soundstage definitely goes to the TH-X00 which should easily win with the circular earcups and semi-open baffle around the driver versus the oval shape of the Alpha cups.

I thought the Alpha Dog was the better headphone the first week I owned the TH-X00. Then I let it burn in longer and swapped pads.. and voila the Alpha Dog is not longer the top dog.

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #5,049 of 12,086
I just got mine new and the pads aren't very comfortable over long usage because of my weird shaped ears. The bumps on the pads feel like they're digging in to my head. Maybe it's just that the clamp is too strong and I haven't stretched the band out yet. Thing is brand new.
Thinking of getting alpha pads cause they look like they might have bigger ear holes. Should I do it?!

Feb 22, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #5,050 of 12,086
I just got mine new and the pads aren't very comfortable over long usage because of my weird shaped ears. The bumps on the pads feel like they're digging in to my head. Maybe it's just that the clamp is too strong and I haven't stretched the band out yet. Thing is brand new.
Thinking of getting alpha pads cause they look like they might have bigger ear holes. Should I do it?!

Yes, do it and sell me those stock pads :wink:

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #5,052 of 12,086
Yes, do it and sell me those stock pads
wink.gif

As Z said "Don't you dare to change these F'n pads". Lol

Feb 22, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #5,053 of 12,086
For me the openings of the stock pads where too small which made the bass a real mess and created comfort issues.
Have replaced them with HM5.
Also tried cheap pads from ebay. My conclusion was that thicker pads opened up the mids a bit at the expense of bass impact.

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #5,054 of 12,086
  Anyone try adding extra dampening material behind the cup to lessen sound leakage, increase isolation?  I'm thinking of doing that - I still have material from when I Anax modded my HD800 and Jerg modded my HE-400/400i. 

I guess itll really mess up the sound sig though - TH-X00 seems to be pretty nitpicky with any changes

No one? Mmm ok i guess if i have time ill try adding the Creatology foam i used for the Anax mod....1-2db decrease in leakage would great..just hope they dont screw up the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back