Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 13, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #2,613 of 12,086
Are you serious about this? O.o

You know... I was a skeptic on headphone cables, but Kimber Kable had a little exhibit in a recent Head-Fi meet, where they had one Sony Z7 with stock cables, and another Z7 with Kimber Kables. Since they had two of the same headphones, I could switch them off at the same volume levels. 

I admit it wasn't a blind test, but I heard a difference, and it definitely made me a believer. At least in Kimber Kables. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #2,614 of 12,086
Definitely ganna get Moon Audio Silver Dragons soon

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #2,615 of 12,086
Cables absolutely make improvements. of course there is snake oil crap out there, and there are people who will explain technical / science reasons why or why not; but from my experience A/B testing between quality cables vs stock its nearly unanimous that there is a difference. I say don't knock it till you try it. 

Note: the A/B testing people include myself, and with others some audiophiles, musicians, sound engineers, as well as normal people, several different mechanical engineers / electrical engineers (whom had a lot of doubt till they listened.). I'd think the tests were well conducted, i do have a science background after all.

On the otherhand, if you can't hear a difference then good for you. That just means you get to enjoy music without having to burn more money to try and hear every color / texture / detail.

Ok so going away from the cable talk for a bit (because thats a never ending rabbit hole whenever people discuss it, ive said my piece =P). These cans are friggin amazing. I've been too busy listening and am going to resume listening (burned in for about 24 hours now. They've REALLY opened up.) The only thing holding these things back is the sound leakage. Anyone have any ideas on how we would mod these to seal it without changing the sound? (I'd love to use these during work but i fear the leakage may annoy others)

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #2,617 of 12,086
@Whitigir
Well personally i don't believe in "cable-sound" and haven't heard of any scientific proof. I tried already a whole lotta cables ranging from 30€ to 1500€ (blindly).
I wasn't able to tell a difference and don't know any reason why a manufacturer should make their headphones sound worse if it could be improved by a cable "upgrade". I also tried measuring if there were any differences and couldn't find anything suspicious (under the condition that the cable was made properly).
But these are just my personal experiences didn't meant to offend anybody. :)
I usually consider recabling just if i can't get along with the stock cables ex. too long/stiff etc.
Don't want to Start any trouble here though so it might be better to let this Discussion aside and enjoy our headphones and mutual interest.
But i am interested in what kind of differences cables could make in your opinion. Maybe i should give it a try again.

Cheers,
Ape

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #2,618 of 12,086
For anyone that uses these on the go, I realized that this is a good way to deal with the long cable

http://www.amazon.com/Recoil-AUTOMATIC-Chargers-Retractable-Organizer/dp/B00LUS67Y4/ref=sr_1_12?srs=8411945011&ie=UTF8&qid=1450006008&sr=8-12

I use it all the time for my power charging cords, not reason not to be able to use it with extremely long headphone cables as well.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #2,619 of 12,086
@Whitigir
Well personally i don't believe in "cable-sound" and haven't heard of any scientific proof. I tried already a whole lotta cables ranging from 30€ to 1500€ (blindly).
I wasn't able to tell a difference and don't know any reason why a manufacturer should make their headphones sound worse if it could be improved by a cable "upgrade". I also tried measuring if there were any differences and couldn't find anything suspicious (under the condition that the cable was made properly).
But these are just my personal experiences didn't meant to offend anybody. :)
I usually consider recabling just if i can't get along with the stock cables ex. too long/stiff etc.
Don't want to Start any trouble here though so it might be better to let this Discussion aside and enjoy our headphones and mutual interest.
But i am interested in what kind of differences cables could make in your opinion. Maybe i should give it a try again.

Cheers,
Ape

No need to fight, there is ample of evidences that I can hear, and like I said, all of my gears is recabled with solid silver cables.

The things would be that you need a good system first, before you can hear any changes from the cables itself. Exactly like someone mentioned before, there are snake oils out there, and i meant a lot of snake oils, and just not some. One simply have to realize what they are spending onto.

Regarding the quality upgrades, if your system is capable. You can hear a "specific part" of the track, and you will realize it improvements. I am sure if you were to meet with me in real life, I can show you the exact part of the improvements, and then you would be obsessed just like me. Here is another pic of a unique Z7 with silver cables upgrade by me

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #2,620 of 12,086
  I poked around slightly and I don't really see anyone mentioning these sound slightly harsh to them? is it just me? I am burning these in but they sound very Hissy and sibilant to me and I get pretty fatigued by them, I was thinking about adding a thin layer of felt or foam over the driver with a glue stick or tape anyone else think about doing this? any recommendations for a good material to use? I expected these to sound warmer. I am coming from a pair of Fidelio X1's, a buddy that has LCD 2's also said they sound harsh to him as well.

Keep burning them in. I think the treble is really well done on these, cuts in and cuts out really nicely. Everyone will have different treble preferences, and fostex are not the darkest headphones on the market, although this is their darkest sounding headphone that they've released. I think treble preferences has a lot to do with the headphones you will like... maybe you are sensitive to trebles.

Like someone else mentioned, a lot also depends on what you come from/ what you're used to. X1's and LCD 2's are both pretty dark headphones.

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #2,622 of 12,086
Is this the X1 you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X1-28-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00B3QD94O

Dec 13, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #2,623 of 12,086
MIne arrived at home, but Im working abroad 
confused_face.gif

Gonna get only on Xmas! 

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #2,624 of 12,086
  Cables absolutely make improvements. of course there is snake oil crap out there, and there are people who will explain technical / science reasons why or why not; but from my experience A/B testing between quality cables vs stock its nearly unanimous that there is a difference. I say don't knock it till you try it. 

Note: the A/B testing people include myself, and with others some audiophiles, musicians, sound engineers, as well as normal people, several different mechanical engineers / electrical engineers (whom had a lot of doubt till they listened.). I'd think the tests were well conducted, i do have a science background after all.

On the otherhand, if you can't hear a difference then good for you. That just means you get to enjoy music without having to burn more money to try and hear every color / texture / detail.

Ok so going away from the cable talk for a bit (because thats a never ending rabbit hole whenever people discuss it, ive said my piece =P). These cans are friggin amazing. I've been too busy listening and am going to resume listening (burned in for about 24 hours now. They've REALLY opened up.) The only thing holding these things back is the sound leakage. Anyone have any ideas on how we would mod these to seal it without changing the sound? (I'd love to use these during work but i fear the leakage may annoy others)

I have backed out vero cable during indiegogo campaign, did you find a significant improvement with this?

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #2,625 of 12,086
is anyone else who is shipping these abroad have their pair chilling in NJ? Mine have made literally no progress for a whole week. I wish MD would give us the the option to pay more for better shipping, their chosen forwarder is often atrocious for overseas customers. I would gladly throw down an extra 20/30$ if given a choice. Looking at this page is aggravating

Dec 11, 2015
8:20AM ET
Processed Sort Facility
Rutherford, NJ, US

Dec 10, 2015
10:41AM ET
Processing Completed at Origin
Secaucus, NJ, US

Dec 8, 2015
8:28AM ET
Processed
Secaucus, NJ, US

5:15AM ET
Arrival DHL eCommerce Facility
Secaucus, NJ, US

Dec 4, 2015
11:54PM GMT
En route to DHL eCommerce Distribution Center

11:28PM GMT
Electronic Notification Received: Your order has been processed and tracking will be updated soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back