Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 12, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,596 of 12,078
  What's the recommended pads for these?

Personally, I like the Alpha Pads. They add sound stage a touch of treble energy an tighten the bass [plus add some SUB] 

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #2,597 of 12,078

What's the recommended pads for these?

Personally, I like the Alpha Pads. They add sound stage a touch of treble energy an tighten the bass [plus add some SUB] 

Do you have pics of how they look with the Alpha Pads? I've only seen like 1 post with a pic and it was in low light. Do you reckon the Audeze vegan pads would be any good on these?

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #2,598 of 12,078

Do you have pics of how they look with the Alpha Pads? I've only seen like 1 post with a pic and it was in low light. Do you reckon the Audeze vegan pads would be any good on these?

xD I posted the low light pic, you no like it hhh 

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #2,600 of 12,078
I'm doing a bit of listening between my Ultrasone Signature DJ's and TH-X00's through my JDS C5D and, initially, the Signature DJ's were able to handle the analog high bass boost setting much better than the TH-X00's. To my ears, the Signature DJ's bass was far tighter, punchier, and textured. The TH-X00 by contrast was boomy and uncontrolled. However, after 12 or so hours of listening on the TH-X00's they are able to handle the bass boost much, much better. It's not as flappy and all over the place as it was when I first pulled them out of the box. The TH-X00 does seem tighten up AND sound better over time.

Most recent testing: MBP>JDS C5D (high gain, high bass boost)>iTunes/BitPerfect 3.0> Boots Brooklyn Gamma and C.U.R.E. (24/96 lossless).

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #2,602 of 12,078
  I'm doing a bit of listening between my Ultrasone Signature DJ's and TH-X00's through my JDS C5D and, initially, the Signature DJ's were able to handle the analog high bass boost setting much better than the TH-X00's. To my ears, the Signature DJ's bass was far tighter, punchier, and textured. The TH-X00 by contrast was boomy and uncontrolled. However, after 12 or so hours of listening on the TH-X00's they are able to handle the bass boost much, much better. It's not as flappy and all over the place as it was when I first pulled them out of the box. The TH-X00 does seem tighten up AND sound better over time.

Most recent testing: MBP>JDS C5D (high gain, high bass boost)>iTunes/BitPerfect 3.0> Boots Brooklyn Gamma and C.U.R.E. (24/96 lossless).

Also make sure your EQing down not up, a bass boost should in reality lower every frequancy after like 150hrz by like 5 Dbs. Then when you turn the Volume up 5dbs you now have more bass :D, if your Eq UP you get distortion an if your amp doesn't have the head room to allow you to EQ down an then increase the volume... then I'd recommend a better amp <3 

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,603 of 12,078
I poked around slightly and I don't really see anyone mentioning these sound slightly harsh to them? is it just me? I am burning these in but they sound very Hissy and sibilant to me and I get pretty fatigued by them, I was thinking about adding a thin layer of felt or foam over the driver with a glue stick or tape anyone else think about doing this? any recommendations for a good material to use? I expected these to sound warmer. I am coming from a pair of Fidelio X1's, a buddy that has LCD 2's also said they sound harsh to him as well.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #2,604 of 12,078
  I poked around slightly and I don't really see anyone mentioning these sound slightly harsh to them? is it just me? I am burning these in but they sound very Hissy and sibilant to me and I get pretty fatigued by them, I was thinking about adding a thin layer of felt or foam over the driver with a glue stick or tape anyone else think about doing this? any recommendations for a good material to use? I expected these to sound warmer. I am coming from a pair of Fidelio X1's, a buddy that has LCD 2's also said they sound harsh to him as well.

hhh if your coming from an LCD 2 that harshness is the sound of upper mids... the non sucked out kind lol

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #2,605 of 12,078

I have Philips X2 and those sound sibilant but the TH-X00 don't sound sibilant at all.

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,606 of 12,078
These at times can be sibilant I guess depending on what you are driving them with.

I personally use a warm sounding dac/amp to help tame down the sharp treble issues that plague the HE-400 (NFB-15 due to it's dual WM8741 chips and a Gustard H10).

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #2,607 of 12,078
  These at times can be sibilant I guess depending on what you are driving them with.

I personally use a warm sounding dac/amp to help tame down the sharp treble issues that plague the HE-400 (NFB-15 due to it's dual WM8741 chips and a Gustard H10).

Honestly I'm not hearing it q.q an I'm using a NFB 10ES2 running the ESS 9018 Dac, 

It could be what your used to or the pads, I own what can be considered bright dry headphones, I've got a couple an I'm used to beyers

still I've got a Vali 2 in route, I'll let you guys know how this bad boi sounds out of it :D 

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,608 of 12,078
I should have clarified that with my NFB-15 and H10 there is hardly and sibilance, and if there was it was hardly noticeable.

I only noticed some sharper sibilance when I was testing out my ODAC with the H10 to see how well it played with the TH-X00's.

EDIT:
I use the stock pads, I did try the alpha pads and while they did add some soundstage I sorta preferred the stock tuning.
And yea beyer's can be pretty dry, I have some DT880(600s) (and compared to those, these are hardly sibilant at all).

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #2,609 of 12,078
  I should have clarified that with my NFB-15 and H10 there is hardly and sibilance, and if there was it was hardly noticeable.

I only noticed some sharper sibilance when I was testing out my ODAC with the H10 to see how well it played with the TH-X00's.

EDIT:
I use the stock pads, I did try the alpha pads and while they did add some soundstage I sorta preferred the stock tuning.
And yea beyer's can be pretty dry, I have some DT880(600s) (and compared to those, these are hardly sibilant at all).

Yea it could be your amp

I've got an Audio GD NFB10ES2 and a Hifiman HM901, an I enjoy the treble quality

Users who are viewing this thread

Back