Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,041 of 12,086
I'm sad to say that Right out of the Box with Alpha Pads my TH X00 running SE is on par with my LA D5k Balanaced out :/ 

I will say the stock cord on the TH X00 is pretty crappy, I'll be replacing it as soon as Mark finish throwing Lawton pads onto my D5k... but yea these puppies kick nicely with Alpha Pads

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #2,042 of 12,086
Hello guys what Amp/Dac recomend for Fostex TH-X00 under 600€. Now I am seeing into Schiit Magni or Vali amp and Bifrost dac

go for the magni over the Vali for this:

1) lower impedance on the amp sends more current, which the TH series needs to keep the bass tight
2) The tubes on the vali won't do a headphone that can, at times, be a little bit out of control in the bass any favors.

The Vali won't sound bad by any means, but if you're buying an amp specifically for the THX00, the Magni is a better fit.  The bitfrost DAC and Magni amp would be a really good combo here.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #2,043 of 12,086
  I'm sad to say that Right out of the Box with Alpha Pads my TH X00 running SE is on par with my LA D5k Balanaced out :/ 

I will say the stock cord on the TH X00 is pretty crappy, I'll be replacing it as soon as Mark finish throwing Lawton pads onto my D5k... but yea these puppies kick nicely with Alpha Pads

Did you listen to them with stock pads prior to putting the Alpha pads on? If so, how would you compare them?

I have large-ish ears but actually managed to find a good fit with the stock pads after careful rotation, but I would still be interested in a pad swap if it doesn't sacrifice sound.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #2,045 of 12,086
I'm trying to decide on how to amp these as well. I currently have a Fiio E17K. Was thinking about getting a Fiio E09K to complement each other into a desktop dac/amp, but I'm not sure if I should just spend that money on another DAC/AMP.

I have to find something that will play nice between

Fostex TH-X00
Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD700

Decisions, Decisions.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #2,046 of 12,086

This is not a sexy answer but I am quite happy with the O2+ODAC that was already sitting on my desk driving the TH-X00.

That makes a lot of sense.  The O2 was a great amp for the D7000.  The ultra low impedance, plus somewhat bright signature really firmed up the D7000's at times uncontrolled tubbiness.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #2,047 of 12,086
  I'm trying to decide on how to amp these as well. I currently have a Fiio E17K. Was thinking about getting a Fiio E09K to complement each other into a desktop dac/amp, but I'm not sure if I should just spend that money on another DAC/AMP.

Fostex TH-X00
Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD700

Decisions, Decisions.

man, finding something that plays nice with the THX00 and HD700 will be interesting, about as different as two dynamic cans can be as far as signatures.  You will definitely want something that's super neutral to have a chance at fitting well with both of those.  They're all easy to drive low impedance cans, so I'd go for something that's low output impedance and solid state.  Modi/Magni would go well.  O2/ODAC.  Grace M9XX.  I'd say stay away from tubes here.

I don't have any experience with the current range of FiiO products, sorry I can't help more there.

Dec 8, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #2,048 of 12,086

Brutality, check! I absolutely do, for the tracks I've tested so far. A few more in-depth thoughts:

The impact is really awesome for double kicks. I'll admit, I was a little worried at first when I heard how much rumble it had in the subbass (and the slight one-noteyness I mentioned earlier), but the midbass punch is so hard, it completely overcomes the very slight looseness in the subbass region and keeps the music feeling really tight. At the same time, midbass seems to do a really good job of staying clear of the lower midrange. 

Attack, decay and seperation are pretty strong... I mean, I threw on Spawn of Possession's "Where Angels Go, Demons Follow" and I felt like each note was pretty punchy and distinctive. This attribute would make or break the headphone for me in many ways), and it definitely passes the test.

Guitars have good energy and are presented in a way that isn't overly colored. Production that is really hot in the upper mids can get a touch fatiguing (but again, this is right out of the box... I've found this frequency band often improves appreciably with burn-in).

Really liking it so far. Will definitely be posting more comparisons, etc on the metal thread later.

Wow, I'm really happy to hear that!
Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #2,049 of 12,086
Guys, can these TH-X00 be somehow comparable to closed Audio Technicas. I mean ATH A900X and higher. On Paper they could be quite close each other ?? 

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #2,050 of 12,086

man, finding something that plays nice with the THX00 and HD700 will be interesting, about as different as two dynamic cans can be as far as signatures.  You will definitely want something that's super neutral to have a chance at fitting well with both of those.  They're all easy to drive low impedance cans, so I'd go for something that's low output impedance and solid state.  Modi/Magni would go well.  O2/ODAC.  Grace M9XX.  I'd say stay away from tubes here.

I don't have any experience with the current range of FiiO products, sorry I can't help more there.

Yeah, apparently getting something to mellow out any possible sharp treble in the HD700 is going to cause an issue with pairing with a TH-X00. I heard a lot of people recommending tubes for the HD700 warm and mellow out the treble.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #2,051 of 12,086

Fostex TH-X00
Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD700

Decisions, Decisions.

I'd skip the E09K. It's not going to offer an improvement, just more power. O2 or Magni will do you better. I do like the tightness, punch and control the O2 offers for easy-to-drive bassy headphones.

The JDS Labs version is quite solid and should last you a while. Can't comment on any other O2 makes, since I haven't owned them. I only make a point of saying this because quality and durability should always be in your peripheral view with open-source designs like the O2.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #2,052 of 12,086
Guys, can these TH-X00 be somehow comparable to closed Audio Technicas. I mean ATH A900X and higher. On Paper they could be quite close each other ?? 

I will be fairly unhappy if the THX00 doesn't blow the A900X completely out of the water.

Dec 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #2,055 of 12,086
While I'm waiting for mine until Friday - can someone tell me if Jazz is going to be as kick ass on this as it will with an LCD-3 + Audeze AMP?

Then I could see my set , have something portable and not be poor anymore 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back