1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by jude, Nov 24, 2015.
First

Back
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
Next

Last
  1. Mshenay
    I'm sad to say that Right out of the Box with Alpha Pads my TH X00 running SE is on par with my LA D5k Balanaced out :/ 

I will say the stock cord on the TH X00 is pretty crappy, I'll be replacing it as soon as Mark finish throwing Lawton pads onto my D5k... but yea these puppies kick nicely with Alpha Pads

2. fjrabon

go for the magni over the Vali for this:

1) lower impedance on the amp sends more current, which the TH series needs to keep the bass tight
    2) The tubes on the vali won't do a headphone that can, at times, be a little bit out of control in the bass any favors.

The Vali won't sound bad by any means, but if you're buying an amp specifically for the THX00, the Magni is a better fit.  The bitfrost DAC and Magni amp would be a really good combo here.

3. enianen

Did you listen to them with stock pads prior to putting the Alpha pads on? If so, how would you compare them?

I have large-ish ears but actually managed to find a good fit with the stock pads after careful rotation, but I would still be interested in a pad swap if it doesn't sacrifice sound.

4. enianen

This is not a sexy answer but I am quite happy with the O2+ODAC that was already sitting on my desk driving the TH-X00.

5. Trojita
    I'm trying to decide on how to amp these as well. I currently have a Fiio E17K. Was thinking about getting a Fiio E09K to complement each other into a desktop dac/amp, but I'm not sure if I should just spend that money on another DAC/AMP.

I have to find something that will play nice between

Fostex TH-X00
    Fidelio X2
    Sennheiser HD700

Decisions, Decisions.

6. fjrabon

That makes a lot of sense.  The O2 was a great amp for the D7000.  The ultra low impedance, plus somewhat bright signature really firmed up the D7000's at times uncontrolled tubbiness.

7. fjrabon

man, finding something that plays nice with the THX00 and HD700 will be interesting, about as different as two dynamic cans can be as far as signatures.  You will definitely want something that's super neutral to have a chance at fitting well with both of those.  They're all easy to drive low impedance cans, so I'd go for something that's low output impedance and solid state.  Modi/Magni would go well.  O2/ODAC.  Grace M9XX.  I'd say stay away from tubes here.

I don't have any experience with the current range of FiiO products, sorry I can't help more there.

8. YtseJamer

Wow, I'm really happy to hear that!
    Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated. [​IMG]

Hansotek likes this.
  9. Bombik
    Guys, can these TH-X00 be somehow comparable to closed Audio Technicas. I mean ATH A900X and higher. On Paper they could be quite close each other ?? 

10. Trojita
    Yeah, apparently getting something to mellow out any possible sharp treble in the HD700 is going to cause an issue with pairing with a TH-X00. I heard a lot of people recommending tubes for the HD700 warm and mellow out the treble.

11. Hansotek

I'd skip the E09K. It's not going to offer an improvement, just more power. O2 or Magni will do you better. I do like the tightness, punch and control the O2 offers for easy-to-drive bassy headphones.

The JDS Labs version is quite solid and should last you a while. Can't comment on any other O2 makes, since I haven't owned them. I only make a point of saying this because quality and durability should always be in your peripheral view with open-source designs like the O2.

12. fjrabon

I will be fairly unhappy if the THX00 doesn't blow the A900X completely out of the water.

13. Sonido
    Anyone compare with AKG K553? Those are pretty good for the money

14. Rnewton3

I'm currently using the A900X, and waiting on the TH-X00's, so shall soon find out!

On that note, my shipping confirmation finally came through thismorning! Wooo!

15. rdnkjdi
    While I'm waiting for mine until Friday - can someone tell me if Jazz is going to be as kick ass on this as it will with an LCD-3 + Audeze AMP?

Then I could see my set , have something portable and not be poor anymore [​IMG]

First

Back
127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136
138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147
Next

Last