Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,516 of 12,086
  These headphones kick ass. 
darthsmile.gif

Hope not too much bass?

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #1,518 of 12,086
So D7k must have the same driver as th900 ? As you reported, closer soundstage. I don't think there is anything that can hugely affect the soundstage.....except the magnet itself.....lets supercharge it lol...

Huh?

Soundstage closeness/nearness is based on a lot of factors, many of which are more important than the driver. Cup resonances, pads, grill/venting, distance from ear to driver, the fabric that protects the driver. I've heard tons of headphones that use the same driver and have radically different sound stages.

The D7000 driver has been discontinued, it was similar to the TH600 and TH900, but a slightly different design. The similarity of their sound stages has as much to do with the enclosures are designed very similarly to the D7000

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,522 of 12,086
Huh?

Soundstage closeness/nearness is based on a lot of factors, many of which are more important than the driver. Cup resonances, pads, grill/venting, distance from ear to driver, the fabric that protects the driver. I've heard tons of headphones that use the same driver and have radically different sound stages.

The D7000 driver has been discontinued, it was similar to the TH600 and TH900, but a slightly different design. The similarity of their sound stages has as much to do with the enclosures are designed very similarly to the D7000

I thought sound-stage was "phase responsiveness" ? Which is directly related to the magnet itself then the physical of the diaphragms, and most of other enclosure factors are for attenuation or control of certain frequencies...etc ? I was wrong then.

Dec 5, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,524 of 12,086
  My order # was 773994 and I got serial # 370.  I must have been right at the cutoff.  I ordered as soon as I possibly could, but I had to re-enter my CC expiration since I got a new card since my last drop :frowning2:  

Not that I really care about the serial #, lol.  Only reason I went for the low # is because it was an option and I knew I was buying them regardless.

So I guess the it starts at somewhere like 773710~773720 considering some cancel orders and other massdrop orders?

Dec 5, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #1,527 of 12,086
I thought sound-stage was "phase responsiveness" ? Which is directly related to the magnet itself then the physical of the diaphragms, and most of other enclosure factors are for attenuation or control of certain frequencies...etc ? I was wrong then.

Phase coherence is somewhat about width, but it's mostly about imaging and separation, i.e. the ability to precisely place and separate instruments inside the sound field. Phase coherence has very little to do with depth. Think about it this way: resonance (or lack thereof) and frequency response create depth (there are other factors, but those are the primaries); that is they create the size of the field. Phase coherence sharpens where the pieces are within that field.

Dec 5, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,529 of 12,086
This is ridiculous, UPS delivered my thx00 package along with an amp package to the wrong address and they don't know where. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back