Fostex TH900 MkII
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #781 of 1,501
The TH-900mk2 Pearl White arrived yesterday. They look nicer in person than they appear in most pictures I've seen. I'm personally not too keen on the color. The Bordeaux (red) are much nicer looking IMO but, I did not buy them for looks. It was the limited edition "anniversary tuning" that was important to me.

Don't have a lot of time on them, and of coarse the drivers are new and will need some break in before they settle down. However, initial impressions are "These are Keepers!".
Treble is not bad at all. It's there but not all up in your face and it really compliments the forwardness of the mids. Bass is not as heavy (not as much sub bass rumble) as say my Lawton modded Fostex biodyna's but, it is much more controlled and when a track calls for it - it's there and extends really low. This phone has a lot of energy - impact and slam is on point, the stage is not as wide as my HexV2 for example, but still pretty good and it has some noticeable depth to it.

So far it appears that this phone is what I was after - an energetic, dynamic, fun yet capable headphone that is not a duplicate of my Lawton modded phones.

Sources I've used this phone on so far:
1) Bifrost2+ Jot 2 and Liquid Platinum
2) Soekris 1321+ Violectric V281

Attachments

• insides.JPG
    insides.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #782 of 1,501
Oh wow, these look so much better in person!

I slapped on a pair of ZMF Eikon leather pads to tame the highs and keep the other frequencies intact.

20210225_132908[1264].jpg

20210225_132852[1265].jpg

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #783 of 1,501
Those white ones look great.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #784 of 1,501
Those white ones look great.
Yes, they certainly are. They look a lot better than the red ones, to be honest.

In terms of color, my preferences are - Blue, White, Red, then Green. The Sapphire Blue TH900 Mk2 is one of the prettiest looking cans, ever!

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #785 of 1,501
I have to admit that my Pearl Whites are growing on me. I wish I was better at taking pictures. They really are much nicer looking in person. Better lighting catches the hue of "Mother of Pearl" and the metal flake used in the Urushi finishing process.

Attachments

• side1.JPG
    side1.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • side2.JPG
    side2.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 0
  • stnd1.JPG
    stnd1.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #786 of 1,501
I slapped on a pair of ZMF Eikon leather pads to tame the highs and keep the other frequencies intact.
I was thinking about a set of the Ori cowhide. The bass to me does not have the quantity I expected. It's very well controlled, with great decay and extends pretty deep but I don't really want to change anything else.

I already have a level 2 Lawton modded phone, and chambers shipping to me now to complete a level 2 Lawton on a TH610 - so fun, bassy headphones I think are covered. I don't want to necessarily turn the Pearl White into a bass cannon, and I don't want to "EQ" but, a little more something something in the bottom end could be nice.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #787 of 1,501
Yes, they certainly are. They look a lot better than the red ones, to be honest.

In terms of color, my preferences are - Blue, White, Red, then Green. The Sapphire Blue TH900 Mk2 is one of the prettiest looking cans, ever!
I love the greens. But I don't have one and haven't even seen one in person. I agree the blues are amazing.

Mar 6, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #789 of 1,501
I sold my stock MKII's last year and have regretted it ever since. This week I picked up this pair of full Lawton modded 900s from a board member. I rarely if ever detached the cables in my original MKII's so the static cable doesn't bother me.

Very happy to have the 900 sound back!!

IMG-20210304-WA0000.jpg
Nice !

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #790 of 1,501
I sold my stock MKII's last year and have regretted it ever since. This week I picked up this pair of full Lawton modded 900s from a board member. I rarely if ever detached the cables in my original MKII's so the static cable doesn't bother me.

Very happy to have the 900 sound back!!

So how do these compare sound-wise to the stock sound?

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #791 of 1,501
So how do these compare sound-wise to the stock sound?

Well it has been a few months since I have had the MKII's and since then I have been listening exclusively through my Grado's but from what I can remember, the Lawtons are more refined, especially with the bass. The XLR braided cord is a nice touch too, love the dual color that matches the cups and black of the headphones, A LOT less weight to them too which is appreciative, something I wanted to do with my old pair. I have only had the 'new to me' Lawtons for a few days now but I sure am happy to have them.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #792 of 1,501
I’m wondering if anyone is using a tube amplifier with their TH900, and if so, which ones?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #793 of 1,501
No, I didn’t buy the headband. I looked online and thought I’d try a low tech version and just wrapped some towelling round the headband first. It made no difference, so I don’t think the ZMF headband will have the effect I’m looking for.

The ear pads are probably a better option, but I heard they can effect the sound of the headphone, so I decided they would just be a sitting still in my office headphone!

My custom 900's have the Lawton sheepskin angled pads on them and it does help with the stability on my head a bit. I still find the headband though wanting to slip forward sometimes, granted, this occurs mostly when I am moving my head from screen to screen or jerk suddenly due to cats. After some searching for a cover.. I have ordered this headband cover off of etsy in a brown/black combo: https://www.etsy.com/listing/816783799/headset-headband-cover-solid-color For under $20 for a custom color, I felt why not give it a try, she was very helpful. Should be here in a few weeks, will post pictures and review after. Not as glamorous as a ZMF but I like this look better actually.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #794 of 1,501
I’m wondering if anyone is using a tube amplifier with their TH900, and if so, which ones?
I've been using mine with a Icon Hp8 Mk2 for quite a while now.

Mar 13, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #795 of 1,501
Make sure you hang on to these with 300 made the value will go up becuase some will get broken, beat to hell and it's the only anniversary edition until 10 years pss, then they might come out with another model. So far there are Bkack 900's, Blues,Greens, and Ivory's. They made over 5K on the MK1's not sure on the mk2's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back