Fostex TH900 MkII
Mar 26, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #811 of 1,501
Can anyone here compare the EMU Teak with the TH900 MKII? I primarily listen to EDM and hip hop, and I value lower-end frequencies but not a fan of very recessed mids. Some say mids are detailed while laid back, while others says mids are very recessed. Perhaps its amp-dependent. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #812 of 1,501
That pretty funny actually; I ordered the same exact cable several hours ago — the 4.4mm version.
When you say the Dekoni pads maintain the FR, are you saying there’s no perceptible difference at all? I’m always hesitant to change pads because I don’t want to change the factory sound, but I’m always interested in increasing comfort.
I just had a chance to the roll the pads again. First, pad rolling is a pain - getting the white ring under the pad annoying as fu&k. Not something I'd like to do often, even though it's simple enough.

Having had a chance to compare with stock, I would actually say hold off on the Dekoni - I think they seem to compress the soundstage a bit. There's some kind of magic with the stock pads - instrument separation is outstanding, FR is balanced, and the comfort is flawless, which I can't say the Dekoni matches. The other thing about the Dekoni is the actual leather doesn't feel premium. I don't know if mine were opened, but the leather is somewhat battered on one side. See attached.

In any case, following the advice of Fostex Uber User @jmills8, I will now try the Lawton pads (and maybe a cable, too).

20210326_215244.jpg

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #813 of 1,501
The Fostex TH900MK2 is still my favourite headphone and I was very fortunate to get hold of an Emerald one recently. It sounds amazing with everything that I throw at it.
Could you post some pics of them? Have to be precious...

Mar 26, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #814 of 1,501
I just had a chance to the roll the pads again. First, pad rolling is a pain - getting the white ring under the pad annoying as fu&k. Not something I'd like to do often, even though it's simple enough.

Having had a chance to compare with stock, I would actually say hold off on the Dekoni - I think they seem to compress the soundstage a bit. There's some kind of magic with the stock pads - instrument separation is outstanding, FR is balanced, and the comfort is flawless, which I can't say the Dekoni matches. The other thing about the Dekoni is the actual leather doesn't feel premium. I don't know if mine were opened, but the leather is somewhat battered on one side. See attached.

In any case, following the advice of Fostex Uber User @jmills8, I will now try the Lawton pads (and maybe a cable, too).

20210326_215244.jpg
Thanks for the heads-up. I agree, I think the stock pads are comfy and sound great. I would be open to swapping if there was something real cushy (kinda like a Z1R feeling), but I don’t want to change the sound at all.

My pair has been burning-in another 8hrs or so today, and I just tossed them on. I’m honestly floored at how enjoyable the sound is. It seems to get a little better every day (I’ve been burning-in overnight, and also during the day when I’ve had to be on calls for work.)

I feel foolish not giving them a shot a few years back. Definitely could’ve saved some cash from the buying/selling of gear.

Mar 28, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #816 of 1,501
Apr 1, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #819 of 1,501
I'm interested in the TH900. I intend on using PEQ to tame the treble. Is the 5-6khz spike the main reason for the sharp treble or are there other problems higher up which won't be easy EQed? Is the Th900 much better in technicalities compared to the countless variants?

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #820 of 1,501
I don't notice any spike, there is no hot treble, nothing out of place....and I don't EQ mine. The only headphones I EQ are TR-X00 but I hardly ever listen to them.

What variants? This is the TH900mkii thread... it rocks!

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #821 of 1,501
My favourite headphones by far. They are pure fun. Treble spike nah
I think I’m going to get a white set to go with my reds

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #822 of 1,501
Continuing to love mine, too. I also don't find any treble spike. I find them superbalanced across the spectrum. Probably the least fatiguing headphone I have given how comfortable they are. I was tempted to get a white set, but I think I want to get a max'd out pair of Lawtons to go with my reds. They look effing beautiful.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #823 of 1,501
Continuing to love mine, too. I also don't find any treble spike. I find them superbalanced across the spectrum. Probably the least fatiguing headphone I have given how comfortable they are. I was tempted to get a white set, but I think I want to get a max'd out pair of Lawtons to go with my reds. They look effing beautiful.
I often wear mine most of the day while I work. I usually use them with my cayin n8 and am thinking of getting the c9 amp now :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #824 of 1,501
I know that they are technically two 'different' types of headphones but, do people prefer 900s over 909s? Or vice versa?
I heard that a lot of people hated 909 for losing 900's V-shape signature sound with lukewarm bass and bloated mid.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #825 of 1,501
I want to get a TH909, it is on my short-list currently for when I decide to pick up another phone. Well, a 909, Diana V2, and LCD-24 creep into the picture as well. But considering my passion for the Foster sound, I think it only fitting that I pick up a 909 when I can. From what I've been able to gather from those in my circle who have had both the 900 and 909, is that the 909 makes for a great daily driver and the 900 for "fun".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back