Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #4,486 of 18,765
My another pair Fostex TH 900 just arrived this evening

Source : AK 100 FAD
Amp : RSA the Intruder
Headphone : Fostex TH 900

Hey man, care to spread the love? After all, sharing is caring :).

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #4,488 of 18,765
Quote:
Thank you
My first is going to my brother in law , I have already spread the love to my brother in law
biggrin.gif

What case is that?

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #4,490 of 18,765
After owning these cans for around 6 weeks I have to say they have gotten much better. I don't know if this is 'burn in' or merely psychological burn in, but to me they sound a lot more transparent than they did on first use. I have been using them for at least 4-6 hours every day. The reason I didn't burn them in first before using is because I'd rather enjoy the journey of them changing. Obviously I'm not sure if this has been a physical change to the phones themselves, or whether it's just me getting used to the sound signature.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4,491 of 18,765
TH-900 reporting in :) Man these are seriously monster.... Playing from studio-v source and headstage arrow amp already impressed me. 

This is seriously many levels ahead of ultrasone pro900.... Feels so comfy wearing them..  

Jun 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4,492 of 18,765
Last night I had the worst nightmare.

I dreamed that an anonymous Head-Fier had sent me his TH900. When i got them out of the box and tried to put them on, they transformed into a pair of iBuds. 
triportsad.gif
triportsad.gif
triportsad.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #4,493 of 18,765
Quote:
Last night I had the worst nightmare.

I dreamed that an anonymous Head-Fier had sent me his TH900. When i got them out of the box and tried to put them on, they transformed into a pair of iBuds. 
triportsad.gif
triportsad.gif
triportsad.gif

LOL. Sorry that made me giggle a little 
tongue_smile.gif
. You mean to say they didn't even transform in to Beats? Haha. I see in your signature you say your saving up for the TH-900's, how's that coming along? You nearly there yet? 

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #4,494 of 18,765
Quote:
After owning these cans for around 6 weeks I have to say they have gotten much better. I don't know if this is 'burn in' or merely psychological burn in, but to me they sound a lot more transparent than they did on first use. I have been using them for at least 4-6 hours every day. The reason I didn't burn them in first before using is because I'd rather enjoy the journey of them changing. Obviously I'm not sure if this has been a physical change to the phones themselves, or whether it's just me getting used to the sound signature.

I think I saw a similar speculation somewhere else in this monster thread before I bought a pair of TH900 for myself, so I paid a lot of attention to mine as they burned in and also did not listen to these 'phones exclusively during their first 100 hours or so. I do think that the sound signature changes noticeably in the 50-100 hour range; I've heard others say that the sound "opens up" and I'm not sure exactly what is meant by that (I'm not nearly as experienced in audio-lingo as many, and I'm certainly no sound engineer) but to me there seemed to be a better melding of the various instruments even as each one retained its discrete voice resulting in what I would call a fuller/richer/more euphonic sound. I felt that the bass and treble calmed down a bit resulting particularly in a very deep, tight bass that frankly blows away my LCD 2.2 and that I found preferable to my neighbor's HD 800.

(My listening to the TH900 has been done primarily on two systems: MacBook Pro or iMac>Violectric V800>V200; iPod Classic>Pure I20>RWA Bellina Pro HPA (Miniwatt Dario tube). The latter is my keeper: completely off the grid!

Jun 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #4,495 of 18,765
Quote:

I think I saw a similar speculation somewhere else in this monster thread before I bought a pair of TH900 for myself, so I paid a lot of attention to mine as they burned in and also did not listen to these 'phones exclusively during their first 100 hours or so. I do think that the sound signature changes noticeably in the 50-100 hour range; I've heard others say that the sound "opens up" and I'm not sure exactly what is meant by that (I'm not nearly as experienced in audio-lingo as many, and I'm certainly no sound engineer) but to me there seemed to be a better melding of the various instruments even as each one retained its discrete voice resulting in what I would call a fuller/richer/more euphonic sound. I felt that the bass and treble calmed down a bit resulting particularly in a very deep, tight bass that frankly blows away my LCD 2.2 and that I found preferable to my neighbor's HD 800.

(My listening to the TH900 has been done primarily on two systems: MacBook Pro or iMac>Violectric V800>V200; iPod Classic>Pure I20>RWA Bellina Pro HPA (Miniwatt Dario tube). The latter is my keeper: completely off the grid!

This thread is pretty long, I've read through a lot of it but nowhere near all of it. The change could have also been partly my amp (Burson Soloist SL) as the manual stated that there could be change after a certain amount of time. This surprised me as I thought 'burn in' was a theory? I'm not too sure as I am fairly inexperienced. I agree on the bass, it is very tight and the quantity seems perfect... it satisfies my need for bass and at the same time, doesn't seem to be over emphasised. About the treble, do you find it to be completely calm? I find on some tracks, the treble seems a little bit piercing... I could just be one of those people that are sensitive to it however, I definitely don't experience that on most tracks.

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #4,498 of 18,765
Well, i did list it there but they ship it to me only next week, i just couldnt stop myself from bragging..
I have the th900 connected to my old Amp/dac - fiio e17 on a e9k dock  (only 24/96 via usa) and they sound quite good if you ignore the noticeable hiss.
Anyways, once i get the amp i will post some thoughts.

I saw that in the user manual of WA7 they recommended using ASIO as output. I have win7 and its' problematic with some of my ALAC files so i switched over  to WASAPI and i cant really tell the difference.. does anybody know if there's really a difference? 

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #4,499 of 18,765
It takes woo audio now over a month to ship the amp..

Jun 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4,500 of 18,765

... The change could have also been partly my amp (Burson Soloist SL) as the manual stated that there could be change after a certain amount of time. This surprised me as I thought 'burn in' was a theory? 

I am far from the expertise of other Head-Fiers, but I personally don't think burn-in is only theoretical: I've perceived varying degrees of burn-in changes with different components. Then there are the manufacturers who as you've noticed mention burn-in in their manuals, and I don't think that they are merely feeding a sort of mass psychosis among their customers (then again it could be a vast conspiracy
blink.gif
). From my RWA manuals: 

"... before critically evaluating [your RWA component's] performance we highly recommend allowing for at least 100 hours of total use (burn-in time) connected to source/speakers and playing music. A sonic change will occur during this period that is the result of electrons flowing through the entire signal path..."

About the treble, do you find it to be completely calm? I find on some tracks, the treble seems a little bit piercing... I could just be one of those people that are sensitive to it however, I definitely don't experience that on most tracks.

Perhaps "calm" was not the best choice of words. The TH900 treble remains bright to my ears, and can be a bit much if the particular track isn't of the best quality. This can be unfortunate if, like me, you occasionally listen to older jazz and rock recorded back in the dark ages of the sixties and seventies. In fact, I think I gravitate to amps with a tube component in large part because I can tune them via tube rolling.

Like you I lack the experience of others, so take what I say with a couple of grains of salt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back