Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4,516 of 18,776
Quote:

Oh man.... you just punched all my pet peeve buttons. I'll spare us both the tome to follow. 

Hum, let's see where this takes us 
popcorn.gif

Actually, the TH-600 has very good bass 
k701smile.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,517 of 18,776
You're a little instigator!

Yep, I'd agree TH600 has very good bass, but for what Oregonian is looking for, the TH900 is what he needs/craves/wants.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #4,519 of 18,776
Quote:
Totally agreed! I don't think the bass of LCD-2/3 is that awesome that people are praising, or they haven't heard the TH900 with trance, electronic...

I think the LCD-3's bests the TH-900's bass by a reasonable margin. Sorry with any genre of music too.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #4,520 of 18,776
MH I totally understand. The LCD3 bass is fantastic. So clean, so tight. Works great for an upright bass in a smoky jazz bar. You can hear that wood vibrating in the bass. It's just great. For modern electronic music, which I consider myself a collector, connoisseur, and producer of, the bass you want in this genre is different. Sure you want clean, but you want that extra kick the TH900 brings to the table. That sub-bass rumble, that pinch of bloat - it feels more visceral. 

I have yet to meet a diehard electronic music fan that prefers the LCD3 bass, as good as it is, to the TH900 bass. The LCD is proper, the TH900 is naughty. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #4,521 of 18,776
Quote:
MH I totally understand. The LCD3 bass is fantastic. So clean, so tight. Works great for an upright bass in a smoky jazz bar. You can hear that wood vibrating in the bass. It's just great. For modern electronic music, which I consider myself a collector, connoisseur, and producer of, the bass you want in this genre is different. Sure you want clean, but you want that extra kick the TH900 brings to the table. That sub-bass rumble, that pinch of bloat - it feels more visceral. 

I have yet to meet a diehard electronic music fan that prefers the LCD3 bass, as good as it is, to the TH900 bass. The LCD is proper, the TH900 is naughty. 

LoL,  nice way of putting it. Actually I've started to look into some electronic music...and I gotta agree that the TH-900s do come in handy! Heck, they're awesome with Metallica too.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #4,523 of 18,776
Quote:
Weird my TH-900 + ZDSE kills my LCD-3 + Mjolnir, bass wise. It's a lot closer race with them both on the Mjolnir but the TH-900 still edges out the LCD at least quantity wise. What are you amping them with?

Technically speaking, the LCD-3 has "proper" bass as Chris to eloquently stated. But if you're looking for a "naughty" bass, then I can see why you prefer the TH-900s. On all of the amps I heard both, technically, the LCD-3s have "better" bass in terms of control, naturalness and detail. But the TH-900s bring it for the "fun" factor (while still offer outstanding control and I can see why they're so enjoyed with electronic music (a genre I'm just starting into at the age of 41). But another factor is that there is too much bass as witnessed on the FR graphs on the TH-900s while the LCD-3s are linear down to 10Hz (and the 30 Hz square wave responses look "ideal" on the LCD-3s).

In terms of what I'm amping them with, please feel free to check out my sig. I'm pretty sure that the GS-X is up to par for either. 
size]

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #4,526 of 18,776
Technically speaking, the LCD-3 has "proper" bass as Chris to eloquently stated. But if you're looking for a "naughty" bass, then I can see why you prefer the TH-900s. On all of the amps I heard both, technically, the LCD-3s have "better" bass in terms of control, naturalness and detail. But the TH-900s bring it for the "fun" factor (while still offer outstanding control and I can see why they're so enjoyed with electronic music (a genre I'm just starting into at the age of 41). But another factor is that there is too much bass as witnessed on the FR graphs on the TH-900s while the LCD-3s are linear down to 10Hz (and the 30 Hz square wave responses look "ideal" on the LCD-3s).

In terms of what I'm amping them with, please feel free to check out my sig. I'm pretty sure that the GS-X is up to par for either. 
size]

More bass is usually better in the case of EDM. Flat FR is a fail :)

I just thought u might have used 2 different amps was all I meant by the question on amping.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #4,527 of 18,776
Quote:
More bass is usually better in the case of EDM. Flat FR is a fail :)

I just thought u might have used 2 different amps was all I meant by the question on amping.

Not sure I agree with that. But I can understand your pont.

I did have a few amps (Liquid Fire + GS-X), but sold the former to make room for my Stax rig.

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #4,528 of 18,776
Quote:
Technically speaking, the LCD-3 has "proper" bass as Chris to eloquently stated. But if you're looking for a "naughty" bass, then I can see why you prefer the TH-900s. On all of the amps I heard both, technically, the LCD-3s have "better" bass in terms of control, naturalness and detail. But the TH-900s bring it for the "fun" factor (while still offer outstanding control and I can see why they're so enjoyed with electronic music 

Perfectly stated from my perspective. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #4,529 of 18,776
As an LCD-3 and TH900 owner, the best way I can describe the difference is as follows:

When I have someone listen to both, I have to EXPLAIN to them why the LCD-3 is better, and they all get it, but nobody has to be convinced that the TH900 is great. For first timers, the TH900 always gets a smile. The LCD-3 is better in every respect, but that is through critical listening and having tried so many different headphones.

The TH900 is the most fun you can have with headphones (IMO).

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,530 of 18,776
As much as I love my TH900 and prefer it to LCD-3 overall, I have to agree that the latter boasts better bass. At first listen, the TH900 may overwhelm the listener with its wow factor, but in the end it's more about quality than quantity, and when it comes to bass no headphone I've heard beats the LCD-3, period. Bass is better controlled, less boomy, and sounds just right. If I were to rank headphones by their bass performance alone, it would be LCD-3 > TH900 > LCD-2 > Stax electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back