Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #4,186 of 18,765
Quote:
Mine are working beautifully through a SPL Phonitor 2730B and a REGA ISIS VALVE as source.

I'm not personally fond of TH900 with SPL Phonitor (I found the Phonitor to be a much better pairing with the HD800), but it seems a lot of TH900 owners enjoy this combination. The Rega looks gorgeous, by the way.

May 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #4,187 of 18,765
Quote:

I'm not personally fond of TH900 with SPL Phonitor (I found the Phonitor to be a much better pairing with the HD800), but it seems a lot of TH900 owners enjoy this combination. The Rega looks gorgeous, by the way.

Thanks songmic :) what setup do you use most of the time now or have you several (I read your profile, but wonder which combo you use most of the time now).

May 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4,188 of 18,765
Quote:

+1, same here.

Zardon, great pictures mate!
beerchug.gif

May 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4,190 of 18,765
Quote:
Are there any LCD-3 owners here? If there is, how do they compare to these? I'm wondering this because I was intered in the LCD-2/3 until I bought these instead.

Two completely different tonalities, they don't share too much in common. Closed vs. Open design, and the obviously dynamic vs. ortho. If you are asking about the difference in sound, I would say the LCD-3 is more intimate sounding, meaning the mids are more lush and forward sounding while the TH-900 have somewhat recessed mids (not much though, compared to the D7000). Bass is significantly stronger and more emphasized with the TH-900, while the LCD-3 bass is more linear and balanced with the rest of the FR. Soundstage is more open and airy with the LCD-3, although for a closed headphone the TH-900 is fairly good. I could go on and on, but overall I would say I enjoy the LCD-3 more with music genres such as rock, jazz, and acoustic. The TH-900 shines with modern music such as electronica, pop, and some mainstream rock. Too different flavors, and if you have the money, I would say own both because both are extraordinary headphones and deserving of head time equally. 

May 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #4,191 of 18,765
Quote:

Two completely different tonalities, they don't share too much in common. Closed vs. Open design, and the obviously dynamic vs. ortho. If you are asking about the difference in sound, I would say the LCD-3 is more intimate sounding, meaning the mids are more lush and forward sounding while the TH-900 have somewhat recessed mids (not much though, compared to the D7000). Bass is significantly stronger and more emphasized with the TH-900, while the LCD-3 bass is more linear and balanced with the rest of the FR. Soundstage is more open and airy with the LCD-3, although for a closed headphone the TH-900 is fairly good. I could go on and on, but overall I would say I enjoy the LCD-3 more with music genres such as rock, jazz, and acoustic. The TH-900 shines with modern music such as electronica, pop, and some mainstream rock. Too different flavors, and if you have the money, I would say own both because both are extraordinary headphones and deserving of head time equally. 

Yes to this...

May 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4,192 of 18,765
Quote:

I definitely love the bass on the TH-900's. It is especially powerful with some of the repetitive dance music I listen to! Also, the comfort is amazing, I've never worn headphones this comfortable. I am going to invest in a open headphone at some point, I'm not worried about isolation as I don't plan on taking any high end headphones outside (Too risky). The TH900's are also the most beautiful headphones I've ever seen however, from the pictures of the LCD-3's I've seen, they also look gorgeous.

Thank you for your reply. I just wish my Burson Soloist SL would hurry up getting here, been told it will be 14-28 days. Argh.

May 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #4,194 of 18,765
Just ordered a pair of TH-900s. Going to have it custom cabled. Cannot wait. Just need to upgrade from the asgard/modi. ( Waiting on Schiit's "you know what") Will also be good timing with the hifi-m8 coming soon.  Will post some picks and comments about the originals before I send them off for a cabling as I have to wait a bit for them anyway. Cheers

May 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4,195 of 18,765
Quote:
Just ordered a pair of TH-900s. Going to have it custom cabled. Cannot wait. Just need to upgrade from the asgard/modi. ( Waiting on Schiit's "you know what") Will also be good timing with the hifi-m8 coming soon.  Will post some picks and comments about the originals before I send them off for a cabling as I have to wait a bit for them anyway. Cheers

Custom cabled by whom/which company?

May 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #4,199 of 18,765
1200-1500 price tag. A little outta my price range. :frowning2:
I haven't heard from you on PM for awhile but seen your posts & questions here. Have you settled & bought your headphone or are you still looking?

May 3, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #4,200 of 18,765
I haven't heard from you on PM for awhile but seen your posts & questions here. Have you settled & bought your headphone or are you still looking?

Thx for asking! Just love how considerate and helpful fellow headfiers are. No one has yet rejected my pms and always provided with really useful information. I have found numerous headphones all with similar sound signature but different price range.

At the lowest price range, m100, then hd650 then LCD-2 and then the th-900. If you can see the trend, all 4 hps have a slightly Bassy, warm and neutral-slightly bright sound sig and def. no analytical sound! I have stopped my search for a while just reading the forums here am there, for some personal reasons. Looking into CIEMs and amp/dacs because my hps are more less settled. Because CIEMs seem interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back