Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 22, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #3,346 of 18,765
Quote:
I felt that the 009 actually sounded better with Stax amps and the LL . However a friend ( who listens to classical music only)  liked the pairing and has ordered the BHSE as well.  Then he heard the Electra..... 
biggrin.gif

BHSE+007mk1  is something else however.

sorry to derail the thread a bit.

This has been my experience as well. I know the BHSE is a sacred cow here on head-fi, but personally I prefer the SR-009 with the LL. The BHSE is still a fantastic amp, and I agree that with the SR-007 it's absolutely tops (which is why I've got one on the way). The control it has over the driver really wakes it up and gets it going. The SR-009 is already wide awake however.

Got an Electra headed my way, too. Crazy times.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,347 of 18,765
That did happen. I'm not sure if he ever actually got them 'compared' or 'tested'. 

He was going to give them to me to compare to my pair after the drop (it wasn't even a drop, it was a smash) but that never panned out. Someone basically walked off with them on their head and when the cable got tight they fell off and smacked on the floor. 

He (and I) also both agree that the Perfect Wave stack as a source is fairly lackluster...

Quote:
Not sure if Alex setup was messed up at last RMAF, but to my ears it(LL) sounded like 1950 Russian tube AM radio compared to BHSE and the rest. He told me that apparently somebody dropped his 009 day before, so maybe that was the reason.

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #3,348 of 18,765
To be honest I cannot recall the source as I had my stuff on USB. Not sure but the only guy that had somewhat decent setup was Ray. I did not see much effort in the Justin setup ether: ipad and oppo. In any case, I think that kind of amps should have proper source for demo, especially on commercial fairs.

That did happen. I'm not sure if he ever actually got them 'compared' or 'tested'. 

He was going to give them to me to compare to my pair after the drop (it wasn't even a drop, it was a smash) but that never panned out. Someone basically walked off with them on their head and when the cable got tight they fell off and smacked on the floor. 

He (and I) also both agree that the Perfect Wave stack as a source is fairly lackluster...

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #3,349 of 18,765
Well many consider the PWD to be a great DAC, but I'm not a fan and neither is Alex as I understand it. 

Quote:
To be honest I cannot recall the source as I had my stuff on USB. Not sure but the only guy that had somewhat decent setup was Ray. I did not see much effort in the Justin setup ether: ipad and oppo. In any case, I think that kind of amps should have proper source for demo, especially on commercial fairs.

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #3,350 of 18,765
Quote:

This has been my experience as well. I know the BHSE is a sacred cow here on head-fi, but personally I prefer the SR-009 with the LL. The BHSE is still a fantastic amp, and I agree that with the SR-007 it's absolutely tops (which is why I've got one on the way). The control it has over the driver really wakes it up and gets it going. The SR-009 is already wide awake however.

Got an Electra headed my way, too. Crazy times.

I actually could not believe how much better the 007 sounded from the BHSE. They were my first pair of cans and I hated them until now.

I think the Electra will be well received for those who think the 009 sounds too bright or too thin.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #3,351 of 18,765
Quote:

This is actually something a lot of users complain about.  When you have a speaker company that demos 2K speakers with 40K of amps/preamps, its not a realistic scenario for 90% of the users who would buy those speakers - they want to hear it in "real world" conditions.

Ray's source is 25K on a good day.  Look at posting users in the High-End section and see how many of their sources come anywhere near that.  Using something like a PWD, which is ubiquitous on HF and well within many user's means, makes more sense if you want meaningful takeaways from a meet.

Obviously, from a manufacturer's/dealer's perspective, they just want their product to sound as impressive as possible to attract the most potential buyers at meets, and I wouldn't fault them for this.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #3,352 of 18,765
Agreed. Especially with something like a source. The most important part of the chain. 

If it sounds bad with a 25k source then it's gonna sound awful with whatever most Head-fiers can afford. 

Quote:
This is actually something a lot of users complain about.  When you have a speaker company that demos 2K speakers with 40K of amps/preamps, its not a realistic scenario for 90% of the users who would buy those speakers - they want to hear it in "real world" conditions.

Ray's source is 25K on a good day.  Look at posting users in the High-End section and see how many of their sources come anywhere near that.  Using something like a PWD, which is ubiquitous on HF and well within many user's means, makes more sense if you want meaningful takeaways from a meet.

Obviously, from a manufacturer's/dealer's perspective, they just want their product to sound as impressive as possible to attract the most potential buyers at meets, and I wouldn't fault them for this.

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #3,353 of 18,765
I actually could not believe how much better the 007 sounded from the BHSE. They were my first pair of cans and I hated them until now.

I think the Electra will be well received for those who think the 009 sounds too bright or too thin.
sounded better with what? All I want to know is how it sounds with demanding classical music fare. If the BHSE and SR009 sounds great with classical but sucks with everything else, then it's okay in my book. By the way...I think we're straying...this is a th900 thread, as much as I like to talk about the bhse and sr009.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #3,355 of 18,765
Quote:
I'm guessing that the Macintosh monster would obliterate the th900. Probably lots of hiss and hum before the explosion!

I wouldn't try...risk of blowing out the drivers (rated to 1.8W max) would be way too high.

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #3,358 of 18,765
Quote:
You won't regret it. I personally found the HD800 too clinical, too analytical for my taste. It wasn't just neutral, it felt cold and impersonal. Tested at Jaben on the Yamamoto amp

My biggest issue with the HD800 (and reason I never bought one) is the lack of bass. I'm not an open can kind of guy.
ATM I'm trying to figure out if I can settle with the TH600 or i MUST get the flagship.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #3,359 of 18,765
Quote:
My biggest issue with the HD800 (and reason I never bought one) is the lack of bass. I'm not an open can kind of guy.
ATM I'm trying to figure out if I can settle with the TH600 or i MUST get the flagship.

I was in your position a few weeks ago.. I have an HD800 already but the Fostex phones were so tempting, and the decision was either TH600 or TH900. Ended up with the flagship and couldn't be happier :)

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #3,360 of 18,765
Get the flagship...believe me, you'll save money in the long run since, as we all know, once you get TH600 you'll say to yourself, "this is good, but I want to find out what I'm missing with the TH900".  Com'on, admit it...you know it's going to happen.  I'm talking from experience.  Headfiers are an obsessive, ruminating bunch.  These days I go all-hog...I save and save and then go for the flagship...I no longer believe in making pit stops along the way that end up being a waste of time and money.  Once you get the TH900 the TH600 will be sold or relegated to closet duties.  Heed my advice, young Turk. Papa is here to protect you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back