Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3,361 of 18,765
Quote:
Get the flagship...believe me, you'll save money in the long run since, as we all know, once you get TH600 you'll say to yourself, "this is good, but I want to find out what I'm missing with the TH900".  Com'on, admit it...you know it's going to happen.  I'm talking from experience.  Headfiers are an obsessive, ruminating bunch.  These days I go all-hog...I save and save and then go for the flagship...I no longer believe in making pit stops along the way that end up being a waste of time and money.  Once you get the TH900 the TH600 will be sold or relegated to closet duties.  Heed my advice, young Turk. Papa is here to protect you!

This man speaks truth.  The TH-900s are worth it.  I've been fortunate enough to own and listen to a lot of good headphones and none of them have managed to replace the TH-900s.  I'd sell my entire collection before I sold my TH-900s.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #3,362 of 18,765
Quote:

This man speaks truth.  The TH-900s are worth it.  I've been fortunate enough to own and listen to a lot of good headphones and none of them have managed to replace the TH-900s.  I'd sell my entire collection before I sold my TH-900s.

I have to agree with getting the best right from the get go. Some people will enjoy upgrading and selling their gear until they end up with the flagships. It is an experience some value, but I think a lot of money could have been saved if I went straight for the TH900.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,363 of 18,765
I've spent some more time with the TH900s now and I feel they are as close to perfect headphones as I've ever had. The sound, build quality, comfort, appearance.. they just excel at every aspect. Obviously the price is incredibly high; this time last year I would have thought it insane to pay so much money. But in my opinion, they are worth it. They are now my favourite headphones, above the W3000ANV and HD 800.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #3,364 of 18,765
I've spent some more time with the TH900s now and I feel they are as close to perfect headphones as I've ever had. The sound, build quality, comfort, appearance.. they just excel at every aspect. Obviously the price is incredibly high; this time last year I would have thought it insane to pay so much money. But in my opinion, they are worth it. They are now my favourite headphones, above the W3000ANV and HD 800.
with the ideal amp driving each it's a virtual tie in my book. All three are superlative headphones. The thing is that the th900 does well with everything you throw at it while the other two do some types of music better than others. Plus you get superlative comfort and a closed headphone that sounds like an open one...an amazing achievement.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #3,365 of 18,765
Quote:

Give it time...It will only get better. :)

The combined features of the TH-900 will become hard to surpass because each time you find a headphone that does something better you realize it sacrifices something in return...something the TH-900 tries its best not to do.  It is a really well put together package all things considered and one that is hard to beat when measured against it's strengths.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,366 of 18,765
Give it time...It will only get better. :)

The combined features of the TH-900 will become hard to surpass because each time you find a headphone that does something better you realize it sacrifices something in return...something the TH-900 tries its best not to do.  It is a really well put together package all things considered and one that is hard to beat when measured against it's strengths.
ditto

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,367 of 18,765
Quote:

+1

I did sell what was left of my collection and only kept the TH900.. don't see myself ever letting go of these.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,368 of 18,765
Quote:

+1 but I have to say for the HPs I have now, they are tied with the HD800s but out of different sources.

The HD800s with the WA7 is the best I've heard the Senns sound yet, which is surprising because when I got the th900s I thought they far surpassed the 800s (mostly due to the increased bass quantity) but with my new Woo WA7, the sound between the two is just so different that each has been bumped to my fav in an "apples to oranges" kind of way.

Personally, I liked the th900s best so far with the Dragonfly... even more so than with the Meridian Explorer but that is for another thread!!  
popcorn.gif

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #3,369 of 18,765
When I had the HD800, I missed the bass. When I now have the TH-900 - the bass is just too much. The orthodynamics (e.g. LCD-2, LCD-3) are better with an even tonal balance. IMHO.

As for perceived build quality; I would rank the TH-900 lower than the HD800 and the orthos. Price wise, the TH-900 is priced way too high.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #3,370 of 18,765
Quote:
When I had the HD800, I missed the bass. When I now have the TH-900 - the bass is just too much. The orthodynamics (e.g. LCD-2, LCD-3) are better with an even tonal balance. IMHO.

As for perceived build quality; I would rank the TH-900 lower than the HD800 and the orthos. Price wise, the TH-900 is priced way too high.

Then the HE-500s you have should rank up there in "Value for the Price", despite the fact that the other phones you currently have surpass them in both price and technological refinement (but not by much, just more gradual increases in quality). What is your assessment personally?

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #3,371 of 18,765
Quote:
As for perceived build quality; I would rank the TH-900 lower than the HD800 and the orthos.

You think the build quality of TH900 is lower than the HD800 and the orthos? Hifiman headphones sound great but TBH their design and build quality looks pretty cheap for their price, and HD800 looks great but its paint chips away easily. The urushi lacquer cups of the TH900 make it the best build quality in my opinion.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #3,372 of 18,765
Quote:

You think the build quality of TH900 is lower than the HD800 and the orthos? Hifiman headphones sound great but TBH their design and build quality looks pretty cheap for their price, and HD800 looks great but its paint chips away easily. The urushi lacquer cups of the TH900 make it the best build quality in my opinion.

Talk about an oxymoron
blink.gif
.......However I have to agree, because the TH900 are so delicate, as we have seen in previous posts in this thread

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3,373 of 18,765
Quote:
Talk about an oxymoron
blink.gif
.......However I have to agree, because the TH900 are so delicate, as we have seen in previous posts in this thread

It would be more accurate to say that the TH900 has superb build quality, but is not built like a tank to withstand wear and tear. Something you should handle with care.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #3,375 of 18,765
bit the bullet, bought the TH900, i sold everything except my SigPro & WA7, i will be keeping both.

I'm just not happy with anything Sennheiser.

My only regret is not going to the flagship sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back