Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 8, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #1,967 of 18,765
Quote:
MF, after reading your lengthy impressions (thanks for sharing BTW), it seems to me you prefer the TH900 over the W3000ANV. But, do you feel they are technically superior headphones, or do you just happen to enjoy one's signature more because of preference?

I own both W3000ANV and TH900, and I enjoy both of them very much. IMO the TH900 has superior imaging, clarity, and very importantly bass texture, but only when you have a high end source like Weiss or Zodiac Gold.
With other souces that I had like the iBasso DX100 or W4S DAC2 etc.., I sometimes preferred the W3000ANV over TH900 as the treble of TH900 may sound harsh and the superiority I mentioned above isn't that obvious.
The two phones does have very different signature, the W3000anv has warmer and more forwarded mids.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,968 of 18,765

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight Peter. Where did you try these out? I'm wondering if there's a store where I can get my hands on the ATs as well. I can't decide between the two.

It might be the question of which to buy first. Their sound is so unlike the other that I find them complementary. When you get used to the sound of one after several hours, it's nice to switch to the other for something completely different.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #1,969 of 18,765
Quote:
bay bloor audio in toronto has denon ah-d7000 brand new still in stock. i was there 3 weeks ago when i bought a pair of grado gs1000i wich are the worst cans at that price i have ever bought. they sells those d7000 699,99. first pair of grados and last pair of grados ever.

They may have sold out - I checked the website and only the new model Denon's were available (unless its a in-store-only deal)..

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #1,970 of 18,765
Quote:
They may have sold out - I checked the website and only the new model Denon's were available (unless its a in-store-only deal)..

you are correct. i have checked the website too and they are nowhere to be found. 5 days ago they were listed at 699,99. and 3 weeks ago when i was in the store i saw them with my own eyes. well they are gone now.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #1,973 of 18,765
I have been going back and forth between HD800s and TH900s with a few amps and I definitely can hear that the TH900s have better vocals, which is all-important to me.
The vocals have no mechanical edge but also are just as detailed, which is always the have-it-both-ways Holy Grail goal of audio to me.
It's a fine liquid, organic, smooth (but not smoothed-over) quality that is very special, something that I really have heard best so far in my R10s,
but I have to say that the TH900s even do this better, and that is pretty amazing to me.

Oct 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #1,975 of 18,765
Quote:

I own both W3000ANV and TH900, and I enjoy both of them very much. IMO the TH900 has superior imaging, clarity, and very importantly bass texture, but only when you have a high end source like Weiss or Zodiac Gold.
With other souces that I had like the iBasso DX100 or W4S DAC2 etc.., I sometimes preferred the W3000ANV over TH900 as the treble of TH900 may sound harsh and the superiority I mentioned above isn't that obvious.
The two phones does have very different signature, the W3000anv has warmer and more forwarded mids.

BTW, this is my first time actually joined a headphone discussion, I spent on average one hour a day on headfi reading posts but never talk.

I'm glad you posted then. I found this ^ very helpful. Thanks.

Quote:

It might be the question of which to buy first. Their sound is so unlike the other that I find them complementary. When you get used to the sound of one after several hours, it's nice to switch to the other for something completely different.

I know what you're saying
smile.gif
, but I have a strong preference for open cans. I'd just like 1 closed headphone to switch to something different now and again.

Quote:
I have been going back and forth between HD800s and TH900s with a few amps and I definitely can hear that the TH900s have better vocals, which is all-important to me.
The vocals have no mechanical edge but also are just as detailed, which is always the have-it-both-ways Holy Grail goal of audio to me.
It's a fine liquid, organic, smooth (but not smoothed-over) quality that is very special, something that I really have heard best so far in my R10s,
but I have to say that the TH900s even do this better, and that is pretty amazing to me.

Thanks for sharing. The 800s are a reference I'm familiar with.

Curious, how's the bass compared to the 800s and LCD3 rgs?

Oct 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #1,976 of 18,765
agree with the vocal. listen to some Japanese through this can is just pure magic
Quote:

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,977 of 18,765
I listen to lots of popular music (American, British), both modern remastered CDs ('love those Japanese K2 HD remasters), and SACDS and lots of my large CD collection most of which I bought in the 1986-1989 time frame.
@xzobinx -- I'm not sure if you meant Japanese music or Japanese pressings, which I do love.
Thank you.
Yes, the Th900 vocals (and many hard-to-get-right instruments, like woodwinds) are phenomenal. I can't even point out many speakers that get these so right.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,978 of 18,765
Quote:
MF, after reading your lengthy impressions (thanks for sharing BTW), it seems to me you prefer the TH900 over the W3000ANV. But, do you feel they are technically superior headphones, or do you just happen to enjoy one's signature more because of preference?

Honestly it's pretty hard to say, as both are so different as others have noted. I'd characterize it like this:

The TH900 excels over the W3000ANV in terms of spatial reproduction (imaging, separation, etc.). It has a definite U-shaped coloration, but it's been refined to the point where it sounds great with a wide variety of genres IMHO. Still, not everyone wants a U-shape all the time. Fortunately, those who feel the bass is too emphasized on some tracks can adjust it with EQ easily, as the bass is very clean. Unfortunately, the midrange suckout isn't as easily fixable to my ears, and if one is particularly sensitive to this, then it doesn't matter how refined the TH900 is in other areas. Still, I'd say overall the TH900 is fairly adaptable and more versatile in that it varies more on a track by track basis.

The W3000ANV on the other hand is going to impart more of its unique presence on one's music. Its most apparent coloration is timbrel, the [in]famous Audio-Technica mids. This isn't really something you can EQ away if you don't like. However those who do like it are treated to an experience quite unlike anything any other flagship headphone currently on the market can give. Compared to the TH900, the midrange presentation is better. Its bass has plenty of impact and is tight, textured, and well-controlled (sounds rather lewd... : \ ), but I feel the TH900 trumps it there hands down. I think the TH900 is more refined up top as well. Overall, I think the TH900 is more consistently ahead of the W3000ANV with respect to a wider array of criteria, but the W3000ANV does somethings better and in some respects provides an experience you can't find anywhere else. For better or worse.

So as much as it may sound like a copout, it's really something that depends on one's priorities. For me, the TH900 is the better headphone. I love both however.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #1,980 of 18,765
Quote:

Honestly it's pretty hard to say, as both are so different as others have noted. I'd characterize it like this:

The TH900 excels over the W3000ANV in terms of spatial reproduction (imaging, separation, etc.). It has a definite U-shaped coloration, but it's been refined to the point where it sounds great with a wide variety of genres IMHO. Still, not everyone wants a U-shape all the time. Fortunately, those who feel the bass is too emphasized on some tracks can adjust it with EQ easily, as the bass is very clean. Unfortunately, the midrange suckout isn't as easily fixable to my ears, and if one is particularly sensitive to this, then it doesn't matter how refined the TH900 is in other areas. Still, I'd say overall the TH900 is fairly adaptable and more versatile in that it varies more on a track by track basis.

The W3000ANV on the other hand is going to impart more of its unique presence on one's music. Its most apparent coloration is timbrel, the [in]famous Audio-Technica mids. This isn't really something you can EQ away if you don't like. However those who do like it are treated to an experience quite unlike anything any other flagship headphone currently on the market can give. Compared to the TH900, the midrange presentation is better. Its bass has plenty of impact and is tight, textured, and well-controlled (sounds rather lewd... : \ ), but I feel the TH900 trumps it there hands down. I think the TH900 is more refined up top as well. Overall, I think the TH900 is more consistently ahead of the W3000ANV with respect to a wider array of criteria, but the W3000ANV does somethings better and in some respects provides an experience you can't find anywhere else. For better or worse.

So as much as it may sound like a copout, it's really something that depends on one's priorities. For me, the TH900 is the better headphone. I love both however.

WOW - which one to pick..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back