Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #123 of 18,761
Again, they require modding, and it's not a matter of just throwing some stuff in the cups.  I spent a whole year working on one of my Yamahas and there's still room for improvement. 

I just want to append my praise with that disclaimer, because there's no point in going out an buying them expecting something easily amazing.  It aint so... it takes dedication and time spent training your ears and learning...

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #124 of 18,761
Not sure what to think about the modded ortho scene. The modded phones Tyll has tested on IF measure pretty poorly save a couple.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #125 of 18,761

Quote:
Again, they require modding, and it's not a matter of just throwing some stuff in the cups.  I spent a whole year working on one of my Yamahas and there's still room for improvement. 

I just want to append my praise with that disclaimer, because there's no point in going out an buying them expecting something easily amazing.  It aint so... it takes dedication and time spent training your ears and learning...

I get the picture, that's qhy I will need to look into it, meaning reaading up on the matter here on the forums both to learn how to do it and if I want to go that route in the first place.
But suppose I take the plunge at some point, which Yamaha phones are considered the best?
I mean, I won't be modding a bunch of them, only one, so I would like to go for the top then.

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #126 of 18,761

Quote:

I get the picture, that's qhy I will need to look into it, meaning reaading up on the matter here on the forums both to learn how to do it and if I want to go that route in the first place.
But suppose I take the plunge at some point, which Yamaha phones are considered the best?
I mean, I won't be modding a bunch of them, only one, so I would like to go for the top then.

There's a big ortho thread with many knowledgeable posters there. I'd start by asking these questions there.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #127 of 18,761

Quote:
You'd have to be careful about matching with the 4070 then - it can sound bright easily... took me a while to get the tonal balance right so it wasn't too harsh, and I've always liked the "monitor" sound. They're definitely different to the O2, but you did say you were looking for the opposite :) In my opinion, they compliment each other nicely.

I'm actually specifically looking for a dynamic or ortho, something that I can take out of my office and use the HM-801. I'll probably give the Kenwood K1000 a try, it's only $350 or so from Bluetin and should be pretty easy to get rid of if I don't like it. I've seen it described as both much better and much worse than the D5000, so who knows lol.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #132 of 18,761
Searches are showing 32ohms, which seems right.

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #134 of 18,761
I wonder if Jude actually purchased the TH900, or if that's a demo unit that was sent to him for evaluation.

I asked Kaneda if he heard any updates for when they'd be shipping, and his answer was "still don't know" more or less. Despite being "out" now, it seems the majority of retailers aren't stocking them until orders are placed. Once an order is placed, they send a request in to the Fostex supplier, and then the waiting game begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back