Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 24, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #18,481 of 18,761
Ah, I don't use EQ. Listening through my Dangerous Music Source.

I keep seeing good things about the ZMF pads but the only UK retailer has them for £75 for Ori pads and £85 for the Eikon. Can't bring myself to spend that amount on a set of pads.
Oo then you cant hear the sub bass.

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #18,483 of 18,761
That will be great :)

Jul 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #18,484 of 18,761
I can see there is a Leather, and Alcantra variant of these Yaxi pads, which ones do you recommend?

I've also seen the 610 earpads, and the Dekoni Sheepskin were recommended by others. Is anyone able to give me the rundown on the differences between all of these, or is it much of a muchness?

As for the Ferrum ERCO, it looks like it isn't sold in Australia at all. I can see the OOR standalone amp is 3000 Aud, but adding a Hypsos ontop raises the price to $5000. I don't know if it would be cheaper to import, but it would definitely making returning it if something goes wrong much harder.
Late to this party, but I can vouch whole-heartedly for the Yaxi Alcantra pads on the TH900 (anniversary tuning). They're exactly what I had been looking for. IMO better than any Dekoni pads I tried, better than stock, better than ZMF I tried. Honestly, to my ears the TH900 PW was a little lacking in bass quantity and a little too strident in the treble without eq. I know that is probably not something others experience, but these pads were a godsend for me. They boost bass impact tastefully and seem to bring the treble down a bit, which is something I was looking for in my setup. Supremely comfortable - other pads touched my ears, these don't. I would highly recommend if you're struggling to find good pad synergy.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #18,485 of 18,761
Good afternoon Fostex boys and girls. Im seeing an incredible deal for a used pair of these cans. My taste in music is somewhat heavy. Im thinking would these be the one HP that the kick drum really, really hits nicely with huge power and authority on high volume? You might not be the fan of the music but please do fella a favor and turn up the volume and listen 30 seconds in the beginning of this track and tell me if it works. Thanks!

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #18,486 of 18,761
Yup I hear me kick drums

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #18,487 of 18,761
The prior two posts suggest an inspiring new way to use head-fi. We might call it “can you hear this? “

I want to learn about a headphone I am considering, so I post a piece of music that has some hard-to-hear feature and ask others on head-fi who have the headphones to listen and report back as to whether they can hear that feature.

Only on line could I do this particular version of “try before you buy!”

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #18,488 of 18,761
Good afternoon Fostex boys and girls. Im seeing an incredible deal for a used pair of these cans. My taste in music is somewhat heavy. Im thinking would these be the one HP that the kick drum really, really hits nicely with huge power and authority on high volume? You might not be the fan of the music but please do fella a favor and turn up the volume and listen 30 seconds in the beginning of this track and tell me if it works. Thanks!

I responded to your other post, but yes, I can hear it… and it works.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #18,489 of 18,761

You can hear it. Kick drums is one area where TH900 shines. The treble might sound harsh/ piercing on poor recordings if you turn up the volume though

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #18,490 of 18,761
You can hear it. Kick drums is one area where TH900 shines.

I have to agree with that but I would extend it to drums and percussion in general. If you listen to a lot of the Led Zeppellin tracks on slower cans the drums don't even sound like drums. The TH900mk2 is a headphone where the drums actually sound like drums. It shows you the importance of speed, which for a non-planar, the TH900 has in spades.

Jul 29, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #18,491 of 18,761
Late to this party, but I can vouch whole-heartedly for the Yaxi Alcantra pads on the TH900 (anniversary tuning). They're exactly what I had been looking for. IMO better than any Dekoni pads I tried, better than stock, better than ZMF I tried. Honestly, to my ears the TH900 PW was a little lacking in bass quantity and a little too strident in the treble without eq. I know that is probably not something others experience, but these pads were a godsend for me. They boost bass impact tastefully and seem to bring the treble down a bit, which is something I was looking for in my setup. Supremely comfortable - other pads touched my ears, these don't. I would highly recommend if you're struggling to find good pad synergy.
Did you try the leather option as well? Or just alcantara?

Jul 31, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #18,492 of 18,761
Album recommendation for TH900: Wild Beasts - Smother. This album sounds incredible on the TH900. Quality bass and crystal clear vocals even though vocals aren't necessarily the strong suit of TH900.

(find a better source than youtube).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #18,493 of 18,761
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #18,494 of 18,761
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #18,495 of 18,761
I ordered, then I canceled. Im torn, I want th900 but I have the TH-X00 mahogony already. They really suit my listening and gaming though, as I only really listen to EDM/Techno with a mix of punk and other genres. No vocals to speak of though, had to work in stores for years listening to all that crap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back