Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 9, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #13,384 of 18,763
Chaps, I've cleaned up some OT posts and had a talk to some of you on PM's. Please stay on topic and avoid confrontational posts no matter how innocent they may appear to be.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #13,385 of 18,763
@montanari - as i've said, i'm not a fan of the lcd3 (or lcd2) because of the sound signature and ergonomics, but i was very impressed by the lcd4. it's still a very heavy can, but i think that audeze has improved the level of comfort over its predecessors. it sounded superb, with a clarity that i've not encountered from an lcd model before and a more open presentation.

the th900 has a very different presentation - no surprises there. while i don't have an issue with its midrange recession, it is there. if you're a fan of the audeze house sound, and you appear to be, then a full midrange is part of it. and for that reason alone, i suggest that you consider giving the lcd4 a listen. a comparison of the th900 and lcd4 would also be well worth your while i think.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #13,387 of 18,763
It seems strange to compare a 4k headphones to a 1.5k one? I don't know...i think so.

On the one hand yes, on the other no. 
An LCD-3 kosts about $1800? An LCD-4 $4000 al the sudden.
Either a whole lotta research went  inito, gold is used for the drivers or the fashionable price for new TOTL cans is 4k these days. I'm betting on the latter.
What's more, not all opinions I read on the LCD-4 are good.
And there still seems to be inconsistency in their production, a plage that's even worse with HiFiMan.

Jul 10, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #13,391 of 18,763
I agree with this statement.

I'd like to add that pricing of audio equipment varies depending on where you live. Something that may be cheap in the US may be extravagantly more expensive in Europe or Australia (first 2 examples to pop into my head).

Oh man the markup can be ridiculously painful. Especially if you live in an area where a master reseller controls general distribution and sales.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #13,392 of 18,763
Well, I meant...for a 1.5k to be comparable to a 4K...that is absurd :xf_eek: . ....I can totally buy a 900 and put the rest of $2500 into a desktop set :D ....People is willing to pay for them though. Mean while, I love th900

Also, for 4K, I can build a desktop that run GtX1080 with ViVE and Omnix for a total immersive VR experiences and excercise daily as well. Imagine the technologies in those setup VS some drivers, some cups, a headband, a name, and 4K of price.

My intention though, flagship these days only compete in pricing segment .... And I am not interested ..kinda hating the direction it is going....thanks to AK

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #13,393 of 18,763
Well if it's gonna be 4k it better look real nice. To me, chrome, wood, leather and carbon fiber should not be found on one headphone. It just seems like a lot of expensive materials thrown together. Then again I am quite particular when it comes to aesthetics, so ymmv.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #13,394 of 18,763
The lcd3 Was already over budget!
No way I will spend so much in an headphone
I used to say..
And then I listened to them..
Anyway I'm really at the limit
A friend borrowed me his he1000, and even if it sounds very good, very.. It's too much money for me
And you have also to consider the amp to match
I will plug the th900 at the Hugo and enjoy
No waste of space, big hot toys on the desktop, cables.. 1kg on the head..
Much easier

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #13,395 of 18,763
Well, I meant...for a 1.5k to be comparable to a 4K...that is absurd :xf_eek: . ....I can totally buy a 900 and put the rest of $2500 into a desktop set :D ....People is willing to pay for them though. Mean while, I love th900

Also, for 4K, I can build a desktop that run GtX1080 with ViVE and Omnix for a total immersive VR experiences and excercise daily as well. Imagine the technologies in those setup VS some drivers, some cups, a headband, a name, and 4K of price.

My intention though, flagship these days only compete in pricing segment .... And I am not interested ..kinda hating the direction it is going....thanks to AK

well i think that it's absurd to compare totl cans based on price tbh, as the prices set by the manufacturers are arbitrary and vary considerably.

for example, the hd800/s is still sennheiser's totl dynamic can and it sells for significantly less than hifiman's he1000, audeze's lcd4 and focal's new utopia flagship

the hd800/s continues to be compared with these newer totl offerings because it qualifies as both a totl can and a benchmark for technical performance, which just goes to show that price does not equate with performance.

this discussion will probably be deemed as off topic and it's been done to death anyways, so we should move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back