Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #12,826 of 18,765
  Yes, that's what I've ordered.  

Isn't that from Massdrop? It gonna take forever before they ship it out to you , just to let u know 
gs1000.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #12,827 of 18,765
  Isn't that from Massdrop? It gonna take forever before they ship it out to you , just to let u know 
gs1000.gif

Yes, from Massdrop.  Forever = August.  

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #12,829 of 18,765
I still have my TH-X00, nice headphone but technically a step below the TH900 in soundstage, extension & clarity in the frequency extremes, as well as dynamics. I think the early gushing reviews understated its flaws in relation to the TH900, in particular the upper mids and treble which are prone to harshness like the TH900 but at different frequencies (8k on the TH-X00 as opposed to 7k on the TH900).

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #12,830 of 18,765
  I still have my TH-X00, nice headphone but technically a step below the TH900 in soundstage, extension & clarity in the frequency extremes, as well as dynamics. I think the early gushing reviews understated its flaws in relation to the TH900, in particular the upper mids and treble which are prone to harshness like the TH900 but at different frequencies (8k on the TH-X00 as opposed to 7k on the TH900).

Interesting observation.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #12,831 of 18,765

Details, clarity, nuances changes could also be observed. But in my guide (EZ-Mods) to dial tune your TH900 into your taste, I was able to solve many problems that may bother people with their TH900 :D, and including the smoothing out the trebles spikes and or upper mid harshness as well :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles#post_12447388

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #12,833 of 18,765
Purrin said the measurements of the X00 were better than those of the TH900, and they were - although in the end I got the TH900 modded to have almost similarly good measurements, but (I bet) with better sound. Check them towards the end of the same thread.

Nevertheless, I would like the X00 team do mods to the TH900... if they would get the TH900 measure as good as the X00 and sound better, I would get that drop for sure. All Massdrops seem to be variations of the TH600 with different wooden cups and driver frames. They are all good value, but why don't we see any TH900 reincarnations? Maybe Fostex doesn't allow OEM on the TH900 drivers but only on the TH600 drivers.

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #12,834 of 18,765
He may want to think again when he has a properly modded TH900 :D. Everybody should know the one thing, frequencies respond graphs , measurements are only 20% of the stories

Hell, I can have a cheap $100 headphones to show a better frequency respond than TH900, but it doesn't mean that it will perform better....nah

The truth is that TH900 has noticeable differences than TH600 or X00. Doesn't matter what you do to it. Foster and Fostex made sure of this before releasing their products and pricing them with such differences

On top of that, they engineered Fostex headphones and parts this way for the purposes. People who knows what to look for, will bring the best out of their headphones upon personal preferences by tweaking it, especially the foam discs. Fostex just doesn't bother to explain or create a guide for it, because such stuff is easier done over the forum and cause less "confusion"

Therefore, I created that EZ mods thread to guide people through how to tweak their.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #12,835 of 18,765
It would make sense that Fostex keep their strongest driver for only their TH900. Fostex isn't dumb. People wouldn't have much interest to buy a TH900 if you could get the same advanced driver in a cheaper mass drop headphone. They aren't going to just give another company the rights to use their best driver for their flagship headphone.

On the other hand, why not milk the TH600 driver for what they can? Didn't they discontinue the TH600 anyways? Why waste that if they can continue to make money off the design?

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #12,836 of 18,765
The driver material (biocellulose) and size (50mm) are the same for the TH900 and THX00.  I believe the magnetic flux density, just over 1 Tesla, and the cup material, Mahogany and now Purpleheart, are where the differences are.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #12,838 of 18,765
  The driver material (biocellulose) and size (50mm) are the same for the TH900 and THX00.  I believe the magnetic flux density, just over 1 Tesla, and the cup material, Mahogany and now Purpleheart, are where the differences are.

Yes, these seem to be the main differences. The magnetic circuit is one quite underestimated part of drivers. I hope with new tech like this (see the video from 2 mins onwards), we'll get better motors.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a20023/printed-magnets-polymagnets-smarter-every-day/

Anyway, Fostex ticked all my boxes with the TH900: biocellulose membrane, good magnetic circuit, Onken loading, closed cabinet (with culmination of the tech in the Sony R10). It could be made better with bigger and different cups, different damper materials etc: Lawton and modders with thrive, but the basic design is sound and ingenious. Hats off.

And yes, the TH600/X00 variants are among the biggest bargains in closed headphones, beating many open designs as well.

Mar 28, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #12,839 of 18,765
with two th900 mods threads on offer now there is absolutely no excuse for mod talk in this one
wink.gif

While I try to respect that from my part, I don't really understand this: if there is place to discuss cables and amp pairing, why mods are off topic, especially the EZ ones. They are not more junk than other talk, and this is not a manufacturers topic, but a hobbyist one. However, if local culture has formed and wants to move mods talk out to own threads or face the wrath of guardians, that's fine as a policy, just not for rational reasons.

Instead it would make more sense to be able to attach labels to posts (by authors and admins), and people could set filters on labels like "review", "mod", "cables", "amps pairing", "source pairing", "question", etc.

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #12,840 of 18,765
 Purrin said the measurements of the X00 were better than those of the TH900, and they were 

What measurements? If you're talking about frequency response/sound signature, something being "better" is completely subjective. 

From everything I've read so far, the the TH-900 has better resolution, detail, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back