Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 11, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #11,461 of 18,761
I like the lawton wood, but cant bring myself to change them, nor add dampening, but hey thats just me

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #11,462 of 18,761
well i upgraded my 846 with dhc fusion silver type 4 litz pure copper 8 braid and yes night and day noticable. i upgraded the cable with lawton black scorpian and its a minor improvement in muscularity of the sound, tinch more low rumble and wider, but this is a marginal upgrade so i agree with marc

not trying to start another argument with you over cables but i think this article by tyll hertsens brings some balance to this often heated debate. there's also an instructive comment from dr sean olive - director of acoustic research at harman international - on sighted listening tests.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-what-i-learned#comments-link#x00PUj3s5qFRPZBK.97

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #11,464 of 18,761
well i upgraded my 846 with dhc fusion silver type 4 litz pure copper 8 braid and yes night and day noticable. i upgraded the cable with lawton black scorpian and its a minor improvement in muscularity of the sound, tinch more low rumble and wider, but this is a marginal upgrade so i agree with marc

not trying to start another argument with you over cables but i think this article by tyll hertsens brings some balance to this often heated debate. there's also an instructive comment from dr sean olive - director of acoustic research at harman international - on sighted listening tests.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-what-i-learned#comments-link#x00PUj3s5qFRPZBK.97

Thanks for that and agree with the article. It's all subtle differences and while some changes to the set up are more noticable than others, some dac and cable changes are less as well. the unreliability of humans and ears are notorious and I agree. There should be no issues commenting on these decisions and how we perceive them within this caveat. It's all good.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #11,465 of 18,761
I have a Pono, HDVD800 and Audio-gd Master 11. All three devices can be run single ended or balanced. I listen with either hd800 or lvd-2 headphones. I have both single ended and balanced cables for both headphones. To my ears, balanced has a larger soundstage, more bass and I just like it better so there nyah! Oh yeah, and it's not just louder like turning the volume up.
The only reason I bring it up is that I'm thinking of joining the club and getting a pair of th-900's. But not until I know if they can take a balanced cable, and who makes a reliable one without paying for Unicorn sauce.
Who here runs their th-900 balanced, and where did you get the cable? Gee, I could have just posted the last sentence and been done.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #11,466 of 18,761
I have a Pono, HDVD800 and Audio-gd Master 11. All three devices can be run single ended or balanced. I listen with either hd800 or lvd-2 headphones. I have both single ended and balanced cables for both headphones. To my ears, balanced has a larger soundstage, more bass and I just like it better so there nyah! Oh yeah, and it's not just louder like turning the volume up.
The only reason I bring it up is that I'm thinking of joining the club and getting a pair of th-900's. But not until I know if they can take a balanced cable, and who makes a reliable one without paying for Unicorn sauce.
Who here runs their th-900 balanced, and where did you get the cable? Gee, I could have just posted the last sentence and been done.

I​ had my TH 900 terminated at the cups to accept SMC connectors (PETEREK) did the work for me, very well done I might add. My cable was a custom made speaker tap by Norne Audio, but depending on how price sensitive you are that may be more expensive than you desire? I would think PETERK could make you a good cable anew, or work with the existing Fostex cable and reterminate it and also make the cable changeable/removable at the cups. 

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #11,467 of 18,761

I bought my 900's from Moon Audio and had balanced Silver Dragons fitted before Drew shipped them to me.

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #11,468 of 18,761

@PETEREK handled mine, as well. Since the TH900 cable is high-quality and ready for a balanced connector, he was able to cut off the 1/4" plug, add the 4-pin XLR on, and convert the 1/4" end to an adapter. Works beautifully. You can see some pics in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/11100#post_11927054

Oct 12, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #11,469 of 18,761
Originally Posted by Trastan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@PETEREK handled mine, as well. Since the TH900 cable is high-quality and ready for a balanced connector, he was able to cut off the 1/4" plug, add the 4-pin XLR on, and convert the 1/4" end to an adapter. Works beautifully. You can see some pics in this post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread/11100#post_11927054

I saw your post a few days ago.

Great idea IMO using the existing cable and having the option to switch back to single ended is a win / win situation.

Not only gives you the switchable option but if God forbid you decide to ever pass them along it wont be a deterrent to the new buyer.

Smart move.

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,470 of 18,761

I saw your post a few days ago.

Great idea IMO using the existing cable and having the option to switch back to single ended is a win / win situation.

Not only gives you the switchable option but if God forbid you decide to ever pass them along it wont be a deterrent to the new buyer.

Smart move.

Thanks! That was exactly my thought process. Very thankful for @PETEREK's great work.

Oct 12, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #11,471 of 18,761

I​ had a D7000 and of course I have the TH 900 and I agree, while the red finish is beautiful, I do prefer a more natural finish (not gloss black mind you, but I like it as well).

+1

Oct 13, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #11,474 of 18,761

Couldn't he just added a 4 pin XLR adapter to the 1/4' plug?

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #11,475 of 18,761

Couldn't he just added a 4 pin XLR adapter to the 1/4' plug?

A​lthough very unlikely to be audible, in general many believe ever single connection has the potential to impact sound quality. While this is unlikely to actually be audible most people I know just skip the extra connector and get the one they really want hard wired to the cable. I still like what PETEREK did for me, opened the cups on my TH 900 inserted SMC connectors so my Norne cable could connect and as well, he reterminated the stock cable to allow the stock cable to still be used if I wanted to connect it via SMC connectors as well. That was always a knock on the Fostex, no removable cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back