Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #11,341 of 18,763
  By the way, anyone looking for a kickass amp for TH900's, my Bakoon is up for sale. Not listening to headphones as much as I used to, so I feel it'll be better served in another home.

That's the one in your profile pic, right? JDM spec HDA-5210 if I remember correctly. The international variant, HPA-21, remains the best amp I've partnered the TH series cans with. Currently considering the 5520 portable variant for my CIEMs. Best of luck with the sale.

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #11,342 of 18,763

Oooooh... That is a nice amp. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks, it certainly is!

That's the one in your profile pic, right? JDM spec HDA-5210 if I remember correctly. The international variant, HPA-21, remains the best amp I've partnered the TH series cans with. Currently considering the 5520 portable variant for my CIEMs. Best of luck with the sale.

Thanks! Yeah, it's the same amp. HDA-5210mk3, with all the upgraded goodies. It sounds fantastic with the TH900, but as I don't have more TOTL headphones, I can't convince myself to keep it.

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #11,343 of 18,763
  Awesome. Thank you.

Those vegan pads are pricey, but I will take it one step at a time.

I do not have a speaker amp, but my headphone amp kicks out almost 15 watts into them so they still crush your skull in a good way.
I do miss my HE-6's but I just felt I was not doing them justice.

Keep an eye on the classifieds.  I bought a pair of the lambskin versions, brand new from a member for $50. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #11,344 of 18,763

I hope that you're right. I ran my HE 560 from speaker taps. I am awaiting my adapter for my new 400i to allow the same speaker tap listening. Hearing the 400i from my drumming system the bass isn't as tight, or as low as the 560 and is slightly muddy, but that could be the DAC (UDAC 3).

I had the 400i for an audition and to be honest were nowhere near the HE400 bass quality/quantity. 

Oct 7, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #11,345 of 18,763

I had the 400i for an audition and to be honest were nowhere near the HE400 bass quality/quantity. 

That seems to differ quite a bit from other perspectives I've read, but this is of course subjective so that should be expected. I had heard that the 400 had better bass, but that the other sonic characteristics were not as good as the 400i nor was the comfort. Ultimately I will know once I have the 400i on my main rig via speaker tap. If they don't excite me I will likely move them out, but I'm hoping they have enough upside to keep. Thanks for your thoughts.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #11,346 of 18,763
Hmm, earlier there was talk of a new "MK2" TH900 but someone over in the Canjam impressions thread mentioned they talked to Fostex and there are not any plans to refresh flagships.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #11,347 of 18,763
Hmm, earlier there was talk of a new "MK2" TH900 but someone over in the Canjam impressions thread mentioned they talked to Fostex and there are not any plans to refresh flagships.

Maybe all the "MK2" is is a TH900 with a balanced XLR connector to plug into Fostex's new HP-V8 tube amp.

Oct 7, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #11,348 of 18,763

Maybe all the "MK2" is is a TH900 with a balanced XLR connector to plug into Fostex's new HP-V8 tube amp.

Meh... :/
Like I was wondering why the MK2 does not feature detachable cable.
Good for my wallet though

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #11,350 of 18,763
Been A/B testing the TH-900 with the Sennheiser HD800 all day.

While the 900 did, without a doubt, have superior kick & bass (The HD800 have absolutely Z-E-R-O sub bass). The silibance & harshness was just too much.

It just got painful to listen to some songs. It made me preferring the HD800 for the majority of songs.

It got so bad that I thought why not just do the shelf liner mod.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/2400#post_11109568
I cut two small circles & put them above the driver & put back the earpads. Took less than 2 minutes for all that.

HOLY CRAP! Silibance GONE, harshness & glare GONE. Much added clarity & detail to the top.
Mids also seem to be much clear & not as recessed from the painful high frequency being erased & not impeding on them.

There is ZERO drawbacks to this mod & it is super easy & quick to do.

This went from being inferior to the HD800 except in sub-bass to being superior to the HD800 all around!

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #11,351 of 18,763

While the 900 did, without a doubt, have superior kick & bass (The HD800 have absolutely Z-E-R-O sub bass). The silibance & harshness was just too much.

It just got painful to listen to some songs. It made me preferring the HD800 for the majority of songs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/2400#post_11109568
I cut two small circles & put them above the driver & put back the earpads. Took less than 2 minutes for all that.

HOLY CRAP! Silibance GONE, harshness & glare GONE. Much added clarity & detail to the top.
Mids also seem to be much clear & not as recessed from the painful high frequency being erased & not impeding on them.

This went from being inferior to the HD800 except in sub-bass to being superior to the HD800 all around!

Nice! You should cross post to the TH900 mods thread :)

I thought the TH900 treble was painful when I first got it too, but after physical/mental burn-in, I absolutely don't feel that way anymore when I listen to a stock pair of TH900. This is a great mystery to me, and perhaps is a testament to how powerful brain burn-in can be.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #11,352 of 18,763

Nice! You should cross post to the TH900 mods thread :)

I thought the TH900 treble was painful when I first got it too, but after physical/mental burn-in, I absolutely don't feel that way anymore when I listen to a stock pair of TH900. This is a great mystery to me, and perhaps is a testament to how powerful brain burn-in can be.

I know the TH 900 has well extended treble, but painful? The HD 800 is the headphone between the two of them that I thought was almost universally excepted to be very bright, whereas the 900 is just bright. I sometimes think that having slightly older hearing is beneficial in that I assume some treble sensitivity is gone. It would be interesting if impractical to have a poll taken in the HD 800 TH900 threads where people voted if the treble was bright/harsh to them and include their age. Sounds dumb I'm sure, but I find myself wondering about age when I read comments about these things.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,353 of 18,763

I know the TH 900 has well extended treble, but painful? The HD 800 is the headphone between the two of them that I thought was almost universally excepted to be very bright, whereas the 900 is just bright. I sometimes think that having slightly older hearing is beneficial in that I assume some treble sensitivity is gone. It would be interesting if impractical to have a poll taken in the HD 800 TH900 threads where people voted if the treble was bright/harsh to them and include their age. Sounds dumb I'm sure, but I find myself wondering about age when I read comments about these things.

Age might be it! It might also depend on where you're coming from. The only other headphone I have is the HE-560, which has very smooth treble. That plus me bumping up the volume to get the mids where I want them to be (U-shaped signature and all) might have led to my impression of the treble being painful.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #11,354 of 18,763

Honestly, I think amp/source plays a big factor in whether you will these 2 headphones bright or not. The TH900 sounded bright out of my Sony UDA-1 whereas the HD800 sounded great and could be played loudly with no fatigue. On the Master 11, I found the complete opposite. HD800 bright and TH900 sounding just right.

It's all about synergy in your gear and personal preferences.

Oct 7, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #11,355 of 18,763

I must be blind - what material is used for this mod? Out of what did you cut these circles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back