Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #11,372 of 18,765
Nice! You should cross post to the TH900 mods thread :)

I thought the TH900 treble was painful when I first got it too, but after physical/mental burn-in, I absolutely don't feel that way anymore when I listen to a stock pair of TH900. This is a great mystery to me, and perhaps is a testament to how powerful brain burn-in can be.

my experience was similar to yours. tho i didn't find the treble painful, it bothered me enough to consider offloading it.

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #11,373 of 18,765
my experience was similar to yours. tho i didn't find the treble painful, it bothered me enough to consider offloading it.

Hell, before needing to go that route some gentle parametric EQ cuts will work wonders. As I'm sure everybody is well aware, the material you play has a lot to do with it. When the material is well done without over-emphasized highs, the TH 900 are stunning, tizzy masters yield the opposite results. As has been mentioned here, if manufacturers want to play it safe, go the safe rolled off route e.g Audeze, HD 650, HP50, Z7 etc. However, you routinely hear people comment how they want a little more life out of those styles.

Personally I would rather a TH 900 approach as it is beyond simple and very effective to apply gentle EQ cuts, far easier than adding to a rolled off design. Chose your poison as they say. I blasted some material last night with the 900 and some was sharp, but that was the material, never painful and I listened LOUD; conversely much of the material was well done and I found those tracks astoundingly nice. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #11,374 of 18,765
for what its worth I never thought th900 had a  high end an issue. I just listened to rufus wainrights new opera prima donna, lots of female and male tennor singing ( full screaming) and quite loud, no issues. Tried some deep sounding electronic from darkstar foam island, pleased as well.

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #11,376 of 18,765
Oct 8, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #11,377 of 18,765
For whatever it's worth, I'm 30 and am definitely overwhelmed by the TH900 treble. I love their sound otherwise, and I'll be trying that mod soon.

I did recently pick up a pair of LCD-X, though, so they've been occupying my listening time. Their open, neutral sound is a great compliment to the TH900, in my opinion. I do use a parametric equalizer for both. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #11,379 of 18,765
Don't own these yet. But I find most popular headphones are tuned a little dark compared to a number of highend speakers. I am mostly a speaker guy and you would think the bass would be the most noticeable change when going from speakers headphones but the loss of treble is usually the biggest change for me to adjust too. I end up turning the headphones way up to get some life out of them.

Makes me wonder if people just get used to what they use and a flat sound starts to sound thin and bright to them.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #11,380 of 18,765
  For whatever it's worth, I'm 30 and am definitely overwhelmed by the TH900 treble. I love their sound otherwise, and I'll be trying that mod soon.

I did recently pick up a pair of LCD-X, though, so they've been occupying my listening time. Their open, neutral sound is a great compliment to the TH900, in my opinion. I do use a parametric equalizer for both. 

I recently tried out the TH-900's on a Schiit Lyr 2/ Bifrost combo and I can see why people can be overwhelmed by the treble. It's definitely amp specific. With the HP-A8C the treble is not fatiguing like it is on the Lyr 2/ Bifrost.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #11,382 of 18,765
I'll see your 40 raise you 50

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #11,383 of 18,765
  I recently tried out the TH-900's on a Schiit Lyr 2/ Bifrost combo and I can see why people can be overwhelmed by the treble. It's definitely amp specific. With the HP-A8C the treble is not fatiguing like it is on the Lyr 2/ Bifrost.

Thanks - I should see about picking one up one day. 

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #11,384 of 18,765

It's what I use so agree, don't find Hugo a problem either, course maybe my ears are old.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #11,385 of 18,765

I would think this could explain at least some of the reported issues for some people. I haven't owned those particular Schiit items (I have owned a Valhalla, Asgard 2, and a Gungnir) but I have heard some people feel they can be toward bright, but frankly I don't hear that very often. I know the asgard 2 I had was bright and I have heard the original Molijor was also considered bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back