Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #11,311 of 18,765
this thread lacks euphony! 

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #11,313 of 18,765
What is your deal with trying to make people look like villains? You're the same guy who hounded some other fellow in this thread about the use of the word "euphonic", which a lot of people got a pretty good laugh out of, by the way. 

You are absolutely ****ing bonkers. 

Just because I want to defend myself/clarify a previous post I made, doesn't mean I'm accusing you of attacking me. Get a grip. 

no need to get personal as well. your posts would benefit from you keeping your emotions in check.

Oct 6, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #11,317 of 18,765
  I see. To my defense, I did preface my post by saying it was uninformed and completely subjective. 

Even if Lawton audio is reputable, I still wouldn't bite on the TH-600 with the mods over a stock TH-900, unless I had actually auditioned them and was absolutely sure the mods on the TH-600 made it better than the TH-900. 

But, again... completely subjective opinion. 

May be due to my age (54) but owned both the TH600 and TH900, along with all three Denon D2000/5000/7000.................and to my non-golden ears the TH600 was almost a clone of the TH900 and the D7000 was it's equal as well.  Then I had the TH900 modded by Lawton, with the full damping treatment, Q French Silk cables, same with the LA7000.  Pretty much think they are equal to each other and love the sound.  Sold the Fostex models and still own all three Denon's with custom wood cups on all three.  The TH600, with the mods and custom wood cups, to ME are a better option than the TH900, as they are now make your headphones unique (which matters only to the person owning them).  Not that the Urushi cups aren't gorgeous, but to ME the custom wood, showing the beautiful wood grain (Brazilian Teak in my case) is better looking than the red cups on the TH900. 

Lawton Audio is beyond reputable - has been modding Denon/Fostex phones since 2008 and has the reputation in the Denon fanboy club of doing awesome work.  His cup pricing............well, that's an issue to me.  Costs around $400 for cups I can have made custom for $125 but they are quality.  So you can still mod your TH900 if you want and Mark Lawton can do it or sell you the do it yourself kit (for the damping).  There's a member who owns TWO TH900's..............both with custom cups, damping and recabled. 

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with whatever you purchased.   All 5 of the above mentioned cans are of the same DNA, chassis and are regarded by some as the best semi-closed cans in existence.  I'll likely never sell my LA7000 and listen to it almost daily, even with a HD800 in the stable. 

Enjoy your purchase! 

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #11,319 of 18,765
hilarious 
popcorn.gif
 euphonically we have come full circle. 

Ill respond to the iphone six plus dac post a while back and yes they are pretty good. In a pinch i would have no issues plugging my modded 846 into mine, but the hugo refinement makes that difficult, unless in a pinch. soo it seems value added dacs make a difference. I have never tried th900 direct to iphone... 

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #11,320 of 18,765
Wow... this thread picked up some steam since I was last lurking.

I still love my TH900's but I have recently been addicted to planar magnetics.
I have just purchased some HD800's, so dynamics are luring me back.

@Oregonian does the open grill mod really open up the HE-400's?

Cheers.

Oct 6, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #11,321 of 18,765

Cheers.

good to hear from you again 777, how are the hd800 on the hpa8 you have. Im going to test as well but using chord hugo as its portable as an a/b with th900. How do they compare to you?

Oct 6, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #11,322 of 18,765

Cheers.

Planars are indeed addictive. I've just grabbed a HE 400i and have owned an HE 560. That said, for true bass impact if that your thing a strong dynamic can seemingly offer a tighter, more impactful bass whereas a planar has a very articulated, distributed over the whole surface approach. Both are worth having. I think I will be keeping my TH 900 at the same time.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #11,323 of 18,765
I wound up buying a brand-new pair of pH 600s from Mark Lawton as well today... (He had one pair left, brand new, unopened) - I'm going to test both pairs (TH600/900) and I will be selling whichever set I like least... I have a feeling it may be the 900s after extensive research... but who knows, we will see... as everyone's ears are different... and it would drive me crazy if I didn't try both pairs before making a final decision lol.

Oct 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #11,324 of 18,765

Cheers.

Big time.  With the open back, Lohb's suspension pad, Audeze Vegan pads and running it direct from speaker taps the sound rivals the HE-6 I sold.  Bass is soooooooooo deep and tight. 

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #11,325 of 18,765

Big time.  With the open back, Lohb's suspension pad, Audeze Vegan pads and running it direct from speaker taps the sound rivals the HE-6 I sold.  Bass is soooooooooo deep and tight. 

Awesome. Thank you.

Those vegan pads are pricey, but I will take it one step at a time.

I do not have a speaker amp, but my headphone amp kicks out almost 15 watts into them so they still crush your skull in a good way.
I do miss my HE-6's but I just felt I was not doing them justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back