Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #11,282 of 18,776
I'm looking at the TH-900's for $1100 new, or the modified TH-600's with the stage (2) cups/pads/sound deadening from Lawton Audio for a total of $1300... I'm torn!

If you want my completely subjective, and uninformed opinion, I think unless you're absolutely sure the TH-600 with the Lawton Audio mods are better than a stock TH-900 (ie. listening auditions), it's probably a safer bet to just go with the TH-900 stock. 

The issue, with me at least, is that you don't really know if the Lawton Audio mods actually do anything/improve sound significantly. It's a third-party company, that I've never heard of until now, etc. 

Then again, that IS why you're asking here in the first place, to ask for impressions on the Lawton Audio mods. But at the same time, I've learned not to trust all online reviews out there. 

Just my subjective opinion. 

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #11,284 of 18,776
follow your gut grasshopper
wink.gif

Lol, my gut tells me that the 900's out of the box should rock my world, but I value the opinions of true Audiophiles like many of the ones here on this thread... so confused...

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #11,285 of 18,776

If you want my completely subjective, and uninformed opinion, I think unless you're absolutely sure the TH-600 with the Lawton Audio mods are better than a stock TH-900 (ie. listening auditions), it's probably a safer bet to just go with the TH-900 stock. 

The issue, with me at least, is that you don't really know if the Lawton Audio mods actually do anything/improve sound significantly. It's a third-party company, that I've never heard of until now, etc. 

Then again, that IS why you're asking here in the first place, to ask for impressions on the Lawton Audio mods. But at the same time, I've learned not to trust all online reviews out there. 

Just my subjective opinion. 

Yeah, I don't trust reviews at all, especially when linked to by the manufacture (or modder) himself lol... but there are quite a few people on this very forum talking about the improvements he offers. I love the cans themselves, the black ebony ones he has that is... but if I buy the TH900's I could always spray them black, as we professionally paint at my shop... decisions, decisions...

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #11,288 of 18,776
their fr is very similar. both have u shaped presentations which some folks refer to as "fun". but the th600 that you're considering is modded anyways.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #11,289 of 18,776
Pulled the trigger on the TH900's. Hell, I loved the Denon AH-D2000's I cant go wrong with these, right? But now I want to portable amp, small enough to hold together wit my iPhone 6S+... looking at FiiO... any good? (their higher end digital ones?) I know its not anywhere near the best, but I want something that will give me the best sound I can get out of these thats not too cumbersome,,, I can always get something higher end for home / Mac use...

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #11,290 of 18,776

Leaning towards that. But now finding lots of people saying the TH600's are more "fun"?
confused_face.gif

Quite a few people prefer the TH600 over TH900. When I was getting my TH900 repaired by Network Audio Solutions AKA Fostex HQ Australia, Wayne one of guys I was dealing with said he prefers the TH600.

The TH600 is more natural but less engaging compared to it's big brother, I still prefer the TH900 mainly because it compliments well with my other phones

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #11,291 of 18,776
Pulled the trigger on the TH900's. Hell, I loved the Denon AH-D2000's I cant go wrong with these, right? But now I want to portable amp, small enough to hold together wit my iPhone 6S+... looking at FiiO... any good? (their higher end digital ones?) I know its not anywhere near the best, but I want something that will give me the best sound I can get out of these thats not too cumbersome,,, I can always get something higher end for home / Mac use...

congrats! hope you enjoy it. let us know how you find it. no need to rush into an amp imo. you might be surprised by how good it sounds straight from your iphone (with an adaptor) for now.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #11,292 of 18,776
Interestingly enough, I just found this info: 

"Audio performance has also been greatly upgraded from previous iPhones, which were all pretty good to begin with. Today, the iPhone 6 Plus' direct analog audio output is better than many specialized portable audiophile DACs like the Beyerdynamic A200p which I lab-tested at the same time I tested the iPhone 6 Plus. The iPhone 6 Plus' audio output is now as good or better than most dedicated outboard DACs."

Source: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back