Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 5, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #11,266 of 18,776
^ You might have thought I was joking or something. Let me explain; 
- The HD800, unless driven by something heavy and warm, is a friggin tweeter.
- Your Hugo, as well rated as it is, has a rather "lively" (in quotes because I'm trying to be polite) top-end.
- Combine the two, without any amp to add weight to the HD800's bottom-end, and you've got tinnitus.

Oct 5, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #11,267 of 18,776
I see, well I'm not entertaining another amp so we shall see how this all goes down. I have all kinds of heavy bass sub bass tunes. Even jazz I gravitate to with heavy kick drums or slap base. Th900 may be the only fun I need but I got to see.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #11,268 of 18,776
I'm currently in the market for the best closed (or semi-closed as they call these in certain reviews) headphones I can afford.

My research has brought me to the Fostex TH600/900... but I'm new to the whole "modding" thing when it comes to headphones... but I'm intrigued, as Ive never left any toys in their "stock" form since I was a kid. (I currently modify Corvettes for a living :wink: - Anyway, my questions are...

1) Do these need an amp to sound good? If not, but they'll sound much better with an amp, what is a good portable / small amp in the $300 or less price range to pair these with?

2) Does the Lawton Audio upgrades make a huge difference from stock? (looking at doing the Ebony style 5 cups / new pads, etc)

3) The wire... this is where I'm mostly confused... did Fostex use a bad cable when manufacturing these superior headphones? Did they drop the ball? Is it really necessary to upgrade? I need a 3.5mm jack/plug so I have do something I suppose...

4) Lastly... do these sound MUCH better than the TH600's to start?

My source is simply the iPhon6S+...

Thanks in advance...

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #11,269 of 18,776
  I'm currently in the market for the best closed (or semi-closed as they call these in certain reviews) headphones I can afford.

My research has brought me to the Fostex TH600/900... but I'm new to the whole "modding" thing when it comes to headphones... but I'm intrigued, as Ive never left any toys in their "stock" form since I was a kid. (I currently modify Corvettes for a living :wink: - Anyway, my questions are...

1) Do these need an amp to sound good? If not, but they'll sound much better with an amp, what is a good portable / small amp in the $300 or less price range to pair these with?

2) Does the Lawton Audio upgrades make a huge difference from stock? (looking at doing the Ebony style 5 cups / new pads, etc)

3) The wire... this is where I'm mostly confused... did Fostex use a bad cable when manufacturing these superior headphones? Did they drop the ball? Is it really necessary to upgrade? I need a 3.5mm jack/plug so I have do something I suppose...

Thanks in advance...

To be honest: don't think about cables... adding a DAC/Amp gives you more changes to sound. While the TH900 will work with your iPhone, I'd not consider it to show all potential of the TH900. And its not about volume, the TH900 is rather easy in that regard.

And No: the cable is fine.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #11,270 of 18,776

Thanks in advance...

Thanks! Is the TH900 significantly better out of the box than the TH600?

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #11,272 of 18,776
The stock cable is quite good, there are plenty of value added options of cable that can improve the sq in any can. Granted this is just my opinion and of those that have modded a variety of can cables. There is a mod section for th900 btw. From the reports of those who have fully modded th900 they seem quite pleased.
Concerning th600 what I have read, go for 900.

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #11,273 of 18,776

I think the differences are not worth the price difference by any stretch... but the beautiful cups are :wink:
To me the TH900 is a bit more U-shaped but with finer treble resolution than the TH600. Which is discontinued btw.

Oct 5, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,276 of 18,776

The bass is definitely better than the TH600 in comparison out of the box. The sound is also more refined, and just overall sounds better. Maybe because it's more colored, but it's colored in a good way. It'll have your head bobbing up and down. 
L3000.gif

Personally, I also found the TH600 more v-shaped than the TH900. I thought the mids were heavily recessed compared to the TH900, which I felt did not have that problem at all. But take it as you will, some people have said the TH900 is more v-shaped...

Oct 5, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #11,278 of 18,776
I wouldn't call the TH900 mids "heavily" recessed.  Somewhat recessed is a more apt description.  Yes, the response is V shaped and favors the low end but with the right, synergistic, ancillary equipment it can sound very, very good. 

I've have the Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D7000 and the level of detail and increased soundstage with the TH900 is a welcome improvement, and IMO, more realistic.  I've not heard the TH600 but if they are similar to the Denons then I stand by the comment on the improvement in the level of detail and soundstaging.

The stock cable is fine but if you want the few extra % improvement then consider a cable upgrade IF you are will to pay for it.  That's getting to the point of diminishing returns.

Have a look on the Innerfidelity web site for graphs of the response curve for the TH900 and others, listen to them for yourself and make your own decision regarding what sounds best to you.  We can give you our impressions and advice but the best piece of advice I could ever give is to listen for yourself.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #11,279 of 18,776
I wouldn't call the TH900 mids "heavily" recessed.  Somewhat recessed is a more apt description.  Yes, the response is V shaped and favors the low end but with the right, synergistic, ancillary equipment it can sound very, very good. 

I've have the Denon AH-D2000 and AH-D7000 and the level of detail and increased soundstage with the TH900 is a welcome improvement, and IMO, more realistic.  I've not heard the TH600 but if they are similar to the Denons then I stand by the comment on the improvement in the level of detail and soundstaging.

The stock cable is fine but if you want the few extra % improvement then consider a cable upgrade IF you are will to pay for it.  That's getting to the point of diminishing returns.

Have a look on the Innerfidelity web site for graphs of the response curve for the TH900 and others, listen to them for yourself and make your own decision regarding what sounds best to you.  We can give you our impressions and advice but the best piece of advice I could ever give is to listen for yourself.

I guess what I am currently narrowed down to is the TH600 model modified with Lawton audio pads/cups/sound deadening, or the TH900 and keeping it bone stock. Out of those two, does anyone have any experience with this comparison?

Oct 5, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #11,280 of 18,776
I think the differences are not worth the price difference by any stretch... but the beautiful cups are :wink:
To me the TH900 is a bit more U-shaped but with finer treble resolution than the TH600. Which is discontinued btw.

didn't know that the th600 had been discontinued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back