Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #11,326 of 18,765
I wound up buying a brand-new pair of pH 600s from Mark Lawton as well today... (He had one pair left, brand new, unopened) - I'm going to test both pairs (TH600/900) and I will be selling whichever set I like least... I have a feeling it may be the 900s after extensive research... but who knows, we will see... as everyone's ears are different... and it would drive me crazy if I didn't try both pairs before making a final decision lol.

I wonder if many people own both????

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #11,327 of 18,765

Planars are indeed addictive. I've just grabbed a HE 400i and have owned an HE 560. That said, for true bass impact if that your thing a strong dynamic can seemingly offer a tighter, more impactful bass whereas a planar has a very articulated, distributed over the whole surface approach. Both are worth having. I think I will be keeping my TH 900 at the same time.

Yeah, I agree with you. I would not part with my TH900's. They are such a beautiful headphone and they offer that rare thing... Audiophile sound with an exciting bass thump.

One thing I have noticed is that I have been listening to my HE-400's a lot and I absolutely love them.
When I then switch to my TH900's, I am hit by the ever so slight mid-range dip.
It takes me a few songs to get used to the signature, and then I really start to enjoy the dynamic goodness.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #11,328 of 18,765
  good to hear from you again 777, how are the hd800 on the hpa8 you have. Im going to test as well but using chord hugo as its portable as an a/b with th900. How do they compare to you?

I literally just submitted payment and will not likely receive them for a few days.
When I get them I will let you know how it pairs up.
I am also using the HP-A8 as a DAC, feeding into another more powerful amp.
I will test off both amps and let you know how they sound with the extra power.

Cheers.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #11,329 of 18,765

Big time.  With the open back, Lohb's suspension pad, Audeze Vegan pads and running it direct from speaker taps the sound rivals the HE-6 I sold.  Bass is soooooooooo deep and tight. 

I hope that you're right. I ran my HE 560 from speaker taps. I am awaiting my adapter for my new 400i to allow the same speaker tap listening. Hearing the 400i from my drumming system the bass isn't as tight, or as low as the 560 and is slightly muddy, but that could be the DAC (UDAC 3).

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #11,330 of 18,765

good to hear from you again 777, how are the hd800 on the hpa8 you have. Im going to test as well but using chord hugo as its portable as an a/b with th900. How do they compare to you?

I literally just submitted payment and will not likely receive them for a few days.
When I get them I will let you know how it pairs up.
I am also using the HP-A8 as a DAC, feeding into another more powerful amp.
I will test off both amps and let you know how they sound with the extra power.

Cheers.

Cool, looking forward to it. Interested in both observations but it's tougher here to find a8 pairings with different hp. I doubt the store I'm testing hd800 and my th900 has any fostex gear.

Oct 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #11,331 of 18,765
I wound up buying a brand-new pair of pH 600s from Mark Lawton as well today... (He had one pair left, brand new, unopened) - I'm going to test both pairs (TH600/900) and I will be selling whichever set I like least... I have a feeling it may be the 900s after extensive research... but who knows, we will see... as everyone's ears are different... and it would drive me crazy if I didn't try both pairs before making a final decision lol.

there's really no substitute for trying gear yourself. interested to see which one you decide to keep.

Oct 6, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #11,333 of 18,765
  My pair of TH-900's arrived today. All I can say right now is, I hope I get rich enough later to buy 10 pairs so I have a lifetime supply of these headphones. 

Congrats.

If taken care of properly and with plenty of TLC no reason why they shouldn't be a lifelong pair.

Or at least until the Bio-cellulose breaks down lol......enjoy them
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #11,335 of 18,765
Oct 7, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #11,338 of 18,765
By the way, anyone looking for a kickass amp for TH900's, my Bakoon is up for sale. Not listening to headphones as much as I used to, so I feel it'll be better served in another home.

Oct 7, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #11,340 of 18,765
Cool, looking forward to it. Interested in both observations but it's tougher here to find a8 pairings with different hp. I doubt the store I'm testing hd800 and my th900 has any fostex gear.

No problem.

I am pretty terrible at writing informative sound descriptions but I will lay down my impressions.

I think the HP-A8 is one hell of a good amp.

When I had the HE-6 headphones I loved them directly out of the Fostex amp. When I then connected them to my Audio-gd 10 watt amp, with the HP-A8 as a DAC, I only noticed a very slight improvement.

I think really expensive TOTL setups which eek out that extra 10% of goodness are not needed for me and my music, but I understand why people chase those gains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back