Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 22, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #5,956 of 18,761
If you only want one headphone, TH900 could be your tricket as it plats all genres Well and would probably sound awesome with dx100.
If you want the superior headphone then HE6 are the better bet, but extreme expensive getting the right amp. They play almost every genre well, but maybe not the best for rock.
Have you consider HD800 I enjoy them more than HE6 and they are less demanding than Hifiman.
As everybody says try to listen to as many headphones you can I find that one that suits your prefencess.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #5,957 of 18,761
Or get a TH900 and a T1 and call it a day. 
wink_face.gif

Of course YMMV.

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #5,959 of 18,761
If you only want one headphone, TH900 could be your tricket as it plats all genres Well and would probably sound awesome with dx100.
If you want the superior headphone then HE6 are the better bet, but extreme expensive getting the right amp. They play almost every genre well, but maybe not the best for rock.
Have you consider HD800 I enjoy them more than HE6 and they are less demanding than Hifiman.
As everybody says try to listen to as many headphones you can I find that one that suits your prefencess.

Depends on the rock I'd assume. For more aggressive Rock music I've seen people swear by the HE-6 as one of the best there is.

In the shoes of someone going for 2 top end models I'd be going HD800 + Fostex TH900 for sheer variation and big differences between the sound signatures.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #5,960 of 18,761
+1 on hd800 & th900.

Well we all have different taste and at first I wanted the best neutral headphone and got HE6 even after I read all horror stories of getting one power amp and the right synergy.
I you have the littlest doubt then stay away from HE6, that I learned the thought way.
If you really like Hifiman and have a very healthy wallet then go for it.
I like HD800 better and for me it plays almost every genre as well as the HE6 without all the hustle.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #5,961 of 18,761

Depends on the rock I'd assume. For more aggressive Rock music I've seen people swear by the HE-6 as one of the best there is.

In the shoes of someone going for 2 top end models I'd be going HD800 + Fostex TH900 for sheer variation and big differences between the sound signatures.

For me the HE-6 are simply the best I've heard for rock, pretty much the entire spectrum, but definitely excelling in aggressive rock and metal.

They don't have to be that painful on the wallet to drive though, with an adapter terminated in banana plugs using relatively cheap stuff like the Topping TP60 or Emotiva are really pretty satisfying. I have the TP60 as a place holder speaker amp while I take my time over selecting something higher-end, but even on this modest setup they're enormously enjoyable (that said the Audio-GD Reference 10.32 running as a pre-amp in my set-up certainly wouldn't fall in the 'modest' category).

I have the HD800 and T1 also, and honestly could easily live with any of these as my one and only desktop can. For a general recommendation for those with eclectic tastes I would probably er toward the T1 over the HD800 I think.

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5,964 of 18,761

Heh, I might be joining you along the CIEM path. Currently waiting for my first ever CIEM (Fitear MH335DW) to arrive. Listened to the demo unit and was completely gobsmacked. Still, I think I'll keep my headphones for a while, or at least till I have adequate experience with both formats. Plus, I kind of like that feeling of having full-size headphones over the ears. Gives me a sense of security.

If you're pretty much satisfied with the sound of the CIEM, then I guess it's plausible. I personally am quite satisfied with the JH13 though I prefer listening to my environment while walking around. The TH900 did get quite a bit of head time around places and I loved it too much, but tuition is more important I guess. I actually prefer not having anything on me, meaning I love the feeling of speakers, sitting infront of my desk, music filling the room and creating an atmosphere. I guess this also contributed to my giving up headphones forever.

Will be interested to see your (c)iem journey. Roxanne's?

P.S. Girls Generation Oh! Album is awesome on TH900

I did consider the Roxanne but I could not justify the price tag. I was close to having one since Jerry offered to switch my JH3A unit into Roxannes. However, I would rather spend the extra $5-700 on shirts and a nice pair of Allen Edmonds. I took a risk with the JH13 and I'm quite satisfied with the result. TH900 sounds awesome with kpop! :D

Dec 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #5,965 of 18,761
I would certainly love to pick up an HE6 with a Job 225 power amplifier since I have speakers to use it for as well.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1371603241&openmine&zzGirlsgeneration&4&5#Girlsgeneration

But the one thing that the TH900 smacks any other headphones I've seen so far... is just how beautiful it looks physically...

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #5,966 of 18,761
What are some of the best DAC pairings for the TH900? I would be running the DAC alongside the Woo Audio WA7 amp. (Price range: $500 - $1500 max)

Is the Fostex HP-A8C worth the price for just using it's DAC portion alone? (as I've heard it's quite a good pairing for the TH900). Or would I be better off getting a standalone DAC?

Dec 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #5,968 of 18,761
  What are some of the best DAC pairings for the TH900? I would be running the DAC alongside the Woo Audio WA7 amp. (Price range: $500 - $1500 max)

Is the Fostex HP-A8C worth the price for just using it's DAC portion alone? (as I've heard it's quite a good pairing for the TH900). Or would I be better off getting a standalone DAC?

Been using the Grace M903 for over a year.  The M902 which is under your price range works nearly as well.
Under $1000, try a Peachtree iDac.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #5,969 of 18,761

Imho, yes. The DAC section of the HP-A8 is stellar. There may be a few DACs out there in the $1500 - $2000 range that are a bit more resolving, but none I've tried offer that smooth signature. If you plan on feeding the HP-A8's DAC output into a high-end amp, results will be very pleasing. I don't see the WA7's amp being an upgrade over the HP-A8's though. If anything, based on my limited experience with both, I'd say it's a downgrade. The HP-A8's headamp section is better the the WA7, to my ears at least*. You do enjoy flexibility of tube-rolling with the WA7 though.

*I'm talking about results with the TH series, specifically. Might be different for other headphones though.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #5,970 of 18,761

Imho, yes. The DAC section of the HP-A8 is stellar. There may be a few DACs out there in the $1500 - $2000 range that are a bit more resolving, but none I've tried offer that smooth signature. If you plan on feeding the HP-A8's DAC output into a high-end amp, results will be very pleasing. I don't see the WA7's amp being an upgrade over the HP-A8's though. If anything, based on my limited experience with both, I'd say it's a downgrade. The HP-A8's headamp section is better the the WA7, to my ears at least. You do enjoy flexibility of tube-rolling with the WA7 though.

Personally for me, I have to admit I didn't really enjoy the HP-A8 as much. I gave it a 3-star in my review. As a DAC-only it's better however IMHO that's quite a bit to pay for just "DAC-only". For me I think in almost every way I preferred the WA7 over the HP-A8. If I had the WA7 already and I had a further $1600 - $2000 to spend on a DAC, I'd probably find a dedicated DAC or some sort. @pervysage, you may wanna ping Currawong and ask him about the AudioGD DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back