Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 27, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #14,926 of 18,761
I finished replacing the connectors on my custom cable with the Furutech FT-2PS.  The mod to make them fit isn't the prettiest but the connectors click in place now.  I used a sharp knife to "whittle" the ridges smooth on all sides.  This is my first try at something like this so be kind...
atsmile.gif

This is what the connectors looked like originally....

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #14,927 of 18,761

Do you mean Dekoni provides Fostex rings or you get them somewhere else ?  

Pretty sure the plastic rings aren't included if thats what you're asking. If you're in the USA, they have them here: 

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460

Can't say i've seen them anywhere else let alone outside the USA. 

I just got a pair from full compass. I also contacted fostex, and they referred me to full compass.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #14,928 of 18,761
  I finished replacing the connectors on my custom cable with the Furutech FT-2PS.  The mod to make them fit isn't the prettiest but the connectors click in place now.  I used a sharp knife to "whittle" the ridges smooth on all sides.  This is my first try at something like this so be kind...
atsmile.gif

If your not in love with the look, maybe some light sand paper to smooth them out a little and a little black shoe polish to gloss it back up?

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #14,929 of 18,761
  If your not in love with the look, maybe some light sand paper to smooth them out a little and a little black shoe polish to gloss it back up?

Definitely a good idea.  I'll have to sand down the parts that look a little ruff. 

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.  I couldn't make the heat shrink tubing fit into the opening on the bottom of the connector.  The cable was to large in diameter.  There is a little bit of a gap there.  I'm really happy with the sound.  Much better that the stock cable.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #14,930 of 18,761

Definitely a good idea.  I'll have to sand down the parts that look a little ruff. 

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall.  I couldn't make the heat shrink tubing fit into the opening on the bottom of the connector.  The cable was to large in diameter.  There is a little bit of a gap there.  I'm really happy with the sound.  Much better that the stock cable.  

Yeah man! good lookin' cable too!

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #14,932 of 18,761
my stepson was simply drooling after auditioning my th900's. i had just added a pair of 2016 version audeze lcd-3f to my collection, and love them. completely different from the th900 but very fine indeed. dig em so much i sold my hd800 and don't regret it.

anyway, i am a sucker for the kids (even when they're not little any more), and let Mark have the th900's i had on a payment plan. he's already paid half to begin with so i'm not being that big a sucker, and he's 1000% reliable. and if you'd seen the quivering lip you'd have given him your pair too. kidding. he really didn't manipulate me to get these. it was my idea since he loved them so much. he says he can't believe they made a can so perfect for him. 

so, my new ones (just bought em here) will likely be here by wednesday, and i can relax again. you have to make sacrifices as a parent (ha).

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #14,933 of 18,761
We have a cat so no one gets my hp's. Although she curls up on me when listening, purrs, bunts and drools, so I think she likes em too.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #14,934 of 18,761
I finished replacing the connectors on my custom cable with the Furutech FT-2PS.  The mod to make them fit isn't the prettiest but the connectors click in place now.  I used a sharp knife to "whittle" the ridges smooth on all sides.  This is my first try at something like this so be kind... :atsmile:

Hello,which pads are those ? Thxs

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #14,936 of 18,761
They are the Dakoni Sheepskin pads.
Thanks for the reply. Im coming from twelve different custom iems and numerous universal iems. Now Im enjoying headphones. Do those pads helps to isolate outside noise? Also any change of sound from the headphone with those pads ? Thxs, Boris.

Mar 31, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #14,937 of 18,761
Thanks for the reply. Im coming from twelve different custom iems and numerous universal iems. Now Im enjoying headphones. Do those pads helps to isolate outside noise? Also any change of sound from the headphone with those pads ? Thxs, Boris.

The TH900 headphones are semi-open so pads will not improve isolation. Yes the Dakoni pads do change the sound.  You can read back further in this thread that they flatten out the FR of the TH900.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #14,939 of 18,761
Looking for connectors. It appears all the connectors for DIY cables are for Sennheiser headphones, not for the TH900. Understandable given numbers.

Sennheiser headphones use a different locking mechanism than the TH900. Also, as many have pointed out, the TH900 connector needs to by inserted further in than Sennheiser headphones connectors. It's relatively easy to shave off extra plastic to make the insertion work (although hard to get it perfect). I have not figured out how to get the locking system to work.

Sennheiser headphones locking seems to be notches on the upper short side of the connector. The TH900 uses bumps. I cut down some Acrolink connectors to fit the TH900, and they fit (sort of), but they don't "click in" because...no bumps.

Does anyone make connectors for the TH900?

red circle around Sennheiser headphones locking notch

red circle around the TH900 locking bumps

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #14,940 of 18,761
Have you heard any iem or ciem that has a similar sound to the TH900?
The JH Audio Layla is close to the TH900. There are a few things lacking though. The bass isn't as visceral and it's not quite as dynamic. The sound stage and openness is there though as it's treble. It's going to be hard to find an IEM with the awesomeness of the TH900. The physics just don't match up. You don't have the larger driver that pushes a lot of air like the TH900 and the enclosure is a lot smaller. The Layla is by far the best IEM I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back