Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #14,897 of 18,765
I did
They sound different I prefer th900 by long margin it's more detailed realistic better instrument separation better bass lower and texture wise
Th00 sound a bit warmer the mid are more forward (not like a hd650) but bass treble detail etc loose in comparison to the th900
I like to think tx00 better headphone from a mid price dap (I have an hisound studio V)
Where the th900 suffers from the source and they need an Hugo to start to sing

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #14,898 of 18,765
Whaaaat
blink.gif

I know. Yet it seems that they have done something. They have used some tape to fixate the right ear pad on to the plastic cover. Thanks for that, Fostex.
I can't help but notice that, below the right speaker, it says "4HD2" (written with a black marker). I don't think that it was there before. Can other owners here check this, please?

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #14,900 of 18,765
  no tape on mine. that is not supposed to be there.

The tape is there because the earpad easily falls off of the plastic cover. I followed Whitigir's instructions to remove the areas of the leather that used to cover these little air vents. Anyway, this is not important.

Could you please tell me if it says "4HD2" under one of your speakers? Hopefully that is not too much to ask for...
redface.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #14,901 of 18,765
I did
They sound different I prefer th900 by long margin it's more detailed realistic better instrument separation better bass lower and texture wise
Th00 sound a bit warmer the mid are more forward (not like a hd650) but bass treble detail etc loose in comparison to the th900
I like to think tx00 better headphone from a mid price dap (I have an hisound studio V)
Where the th900 suffers from the source and they need an Hugo to start to sing

I've been really tempted to enter the drop for the Ebony on Massdrop right now. But your post cured me :grinning: . Those are all of the things I adore about the TH900. I'm sure I'll get a listen sometime. But I don't want a headphone like that.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #14,904 of 18,765
Thanks for the recommendation. I already own the TH900. I was just curious what the Massdrop Ebony had to offer. Sounds like it doesn't offer my sound signature preference.

as far as i am concerned, if you own the 900, you are pretty much set for life (as far as in-house over the ear) unless you decide to save up for the Utopia.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #14,906 of 18,765
I got my Mr Speakers Estat pads this morning.  Took the ZMF pads off and.......the Estat pads give me joy!  They are angled nicely, probably a little thinner causing you ears to come a little closer, maybe similar to the stock pads.  Very comfortable lambskin leather with a very large opening, as expected a huge soundstage, probably the widest and tallest that I have heard on a headphone, now just like an open back.  Slighly less bass, but you still will know the are TH-900 by tight hard hitting thump.  More detail as expected, treble with a little less tizz but extended very well to the top.  Mids are what I had been waiting for and now I think they are positioned mor forward where I like them.  These have a little less clamp, but I still like the comfort best.  Pads are starting to stack up, and I have more coming.  Still haven't tried the Dekoni pads on the 900, maybe some day, but I think it may be hard for me to take these off and go to some other pad, they have all my preferences.

Still can believe how pads can shape the sound of the bio-cellulose drivers.  Denon D7200 due in next week!

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #14,907 of 18,765
  I got my Mr Speakers Estat pads this morning.  Took the ZMF pads off and.......the Estat pads give me joy!  They are angled nicely, probably a little thinner causing you ears to come a little closer, maybe similar to the stock pads.  Very comfortable lambskin leather with a very large opening, as expected a huge soundstage, probably the widest and tallest that I have heard on a headphone, now just like an open back.  Slighly less bass, but you still will know the are TH-900 by tight hard hitting thump.  More detail as expected, treble with a little less tizz but extended very well to the top.  Mids are what I had been waiting for and now I think they are positioned mor forward where I like them.  These have a little less clamp, but I still like the comfort best.  Pads are starting to stack up, and I have more coming.  Still haven't tried the Dekoni pads on the 900, maybe some day, but I think it may be hard for me to take these off and go to some other pad, they have all my preferences.

Still can believe how pads can shape the sound of the bio-cellulose drivers.  Denon D7200 due in next week!

Have you tried the Dekoni pads with the TH900?  I'm currently using them and really like them.  I need to try the Mr Speakers now.  I owned Mad Dogs and Alphas and loved Mr Speakers pads. Are the pads you tried the Alpha Pads or another pad? 

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #14,909 of 18,765

Have you tried the Dekoni pads with the TH900?  I'm currently using them and really like them.  I need to try the Mr Speakers now.  I owned Mad Dogs and Alphas and loved Mr Speakers pads. Are the pads you tried the Alpha Pads or another pad? 

I have the Dekoni pads for the TH900, but they are on my HE6 and that is where they will stay.....I have a second pair coming this week as well as some extra Fostex rings so I won't have to mess with changing rings.  I didn't like the Mr Speakers Alpha pads or most of the others, I always felt suffocated wearing them.  The Estat pads are what I am using on the TH900, just ordered another pair.  I think the larger soundstage comes from the huge opening on the Estat pads, more like the HD800 pads and their large opening.

Tell me your impressions of the Dekoni pads vs stock on the TH900!

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #14,910 of 18,765
He said they are the electrostat pads

I think I'm goi g to order a set. They are also supposed to work well on the utopia.

Didn't know someone used them on the Utopia.....and I have never heard an electrostat headphone, but I'd wager the TH900 with the Mr Speakers Estat pad approached the Estat sound, but better bass, maybe, but mids are better with these pads, more forward less V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back