Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #14,911 of 18,765

I have the Dekoni pads for the TH900, but they are on my HE6 and that is where they will stay.....I have a second pair coming this week as well as some extra Fostex rings so I won't have to mess with changing rings.  I didn't like the Mr Speakers Alpha pads or most of the others, I always felt suffocated wearing them.  The Estat pads are what I am using on the TH900, just ordered another pair.  I think the larger soundstage comes from the huge opening on the Estat pads, more like the HD800 pads and their large opening.

Tell me your impressions of the Dekoni pads vs stock on the TH900!

Do you have a link to the estat pads?  I only see the Alpha pads on their site.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #14,912 of 18,765

I have the Dekoni pads for the TH900, but they are on my HE6 and that is where they will stay.....I have a second pair coming this week as well as some extra Fostex rings so I won't have to mess with changing rings.  I didn't like the Mr Speakers Alpha pads or most of the others, I always felt suffocated wearing them.  The Estat pads are what I am using on the TH900, just ordered another pair.  I think the larger soundstage comes from the huge opening on the Estat pads, more like the HD800 pads and their large opening.

Sticker shock!!    http://mrspeakers.com/shop/

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #14,913 of 18,765

$80 aint too bad. I think replacement pads for the utopia are in the hundreds!

The replacement pads from Fostex TH-900mk2 are 79, right? 

Regarding estats vs the TH900, I have the Koss ESP950, the "poor person's estat". The Koss is very airy and open, and is wonderful for orchestral pieces, It's not not nearly as impactful as planar or traditional drivers. Electrostats sound crisp, clear, and open.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #14,914 of 18,765

$80 aint too bad. I think replacement pads for the utopia are in the hundreds!

The replacement pads from Fostex are ~$50, right? The MrSpeaker are only $30 more.

Regard estats vs the TH900, I have the Koss ESP950, the "poor person's estat". The Koss is very airy and open, and is wonderful for orchestral pieces, It's not not nearly as impactful as planar or traditional drivers. Electrostats sound crisp, clear, and open.  

"crisp, clear, and open" is the way my TH900 MK2 sounds with the Mr Speakers Estat pads and detachable cable upgrade to aftermarket cables.

My HD800 finally is packing up and getting ready to leave, no more desire, no more joy, collecting dust!

For my ears this is the best sound, for my preferences.....really good part, a quick pad swap back to stock, or some other pad, and I have completely different sound!

I have modded HE6 and Audeze 2.2 pre fazor that are bested by my TH900 now.  Thinks will really get interesting next week when the Denon D7200 arrives.  I may even move past planars altogether

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #14,916 of 18,765

"crisp, clear, and open" is the way my TH900 MK2 sounds with the Mr Speakers Estat pads and detachable cable upgrade to aftermarket cables.

My HD800 finally is packing up and getting ready to leave, no more desire, no more joy, collecting dust!

For my ears this is the best sound, for my preferences.....really good part, a quick pad swap back to stock, or some other pad, and I have completely different sound!

I have modded HE6 and Audeze 2.2 pre fazor that are bested by my TH900 now.  Thinks will really get interesting next week when the Denon D7200 arrives.  I may even move past planars altogether

I never liked the HD800.  The was to shrill for me.  Plus it sits on your head like a wet rag.  

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #14,917 of 18,765
  Yeah that's not bad at all for custom leather ear pads.

@cute what do you use to cute down your connectors on your mods?  Dremel?

I have some new connectors coming, from China.  Temporarily using hacked connectors from the Amazon linked cable, they have a longer shelf allowing a solid connection!

I've been experimenting with some old Senn connectors, and used an Exacto knife or box knife.  My eyes are getting bad.  I bought a pair of adapters that are mini xlr to Sennheiser HD650 that are built directly soldered to the pins, with no wire. I may make a first cut with my dremel and then use a knife for more refined finish.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #14,918 of 18,765
I thought I read these fit the TH900. Did I read that here? I got some "acrolink" connectors from luna shops, and they do not insert fully.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3811

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #14,919 of 18,765

Yeah that's not bad at all for custom leather ear pads.

@cute what do you use to cute down your connectors on your mods?  Dremel?

I have some new connectors coming, from China.  Temporarily using hacked connectors from the Amazon linked cable, they have a longer shelf allowing a solid connection!

Can you please post the link to the cable from Amazon?

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #14,922 of 18,765
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #14,923 of 18,765
I must say those MrSpeakers e-stat pads look really good. Large internal opening is good. In this case it's perhaps too big for the TH900. What kind of foam is the filling made of? Any photos of the back side?

The Dekoni pads have smaller opening than the stock TH900, the Lawton pads have it slightly larger. My current ranking of TH900 pads:
1. Lawton + thick carbon foam filling
2. Fostex + thin carbon foam (CF) filling, really close to 1
3. Stax 007 + CF filling
4. Dekoni + thick CF filling
... Big gap...
5. Stock Fostex
6. Stock Stax 007
7. Stock Lawton
8. Stock Dekoni
9. Stock Brainwavz, leather, hybrid

Best value: Dekoni (leather)
Best build quality: Stax 007
Best deal: modded Fostex pads
Easiest pad to mod: Stax 007
Most difficult to mod: Lawton
Forget: Brainwavz.

YMMV.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #14,924 of 18,765

Do you mean Dekoni provides Fostex rings or you get them somewhere else ?  

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #14,925 of 18,765
  Do you mean Dekoni provides Fostex rings or you get them somewhere else ?  

Pretty sure the plastic rings aren't included if thats what you're asking. If you're in the USA, they have them here: 

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460

Can't say i've seen them anywhere else let alone outside the USA. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back