Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #13,668 of 18,765

I think you will enjoy them. That's one thing the TH900 is great for... thumping bass but almost HD800 like clarity and separation. Nice wide soundstage as well. When I first got mine I was constantly taking them off my head all of sudden because I could of sworn I heard something in my room when it was just a part of the track 
biggrin.gif

You had that too? The only other phones I had that with were indeed the HD800.
Quite good description of the TH-900 indeed.

I beg you, let him MAKE A SOLID BURN IN AT LEAST 200 HOURS. HEADSET RADICAL CHANGE AFTER ABOUT 150/200 HOURS OF OPERATION.

YOU HEARD THE MAN! NOW AT EASE!

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #13,672 of 18,765
I have been in and out of this thread for many months, attempting to alleviate the dilemma of deciding to add the TH900 to my headphone collection, as a way to complement my HD800.

A few weeks ago I bought the JVC SZ2000; I amped and eq'ed the heck out of it. The bass was monstrous and unexpected. However, the only enjoyable part was the tremble-inducing bass. Everything else about the headphone's sound was poor, thus, the overall experience was unenjoyable, unless I was completely focused on the bass.

So today I bought the TH900, which will arrive tomorrow. I will eventually post my impressions, and see how these headphones stand, especially to people who are in the same dilemma I was in.

Is what I did, but in reverse with 800S. Compliment for sure, they both don't intrude in eachothers listening space.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #13,675 of 18,765
There are

1/ brain burn in
2/ eardrums burn in
3/ headphones burn in

When you burn in, make sure you burn in all of them

As long as you don't burn 'em. it'll be fine.  I think.  
wink.gif

I really liked Inner Fidelity's piece on burn in.  To see a trend, however slight, is interesting.  At the end of the day, the overall effect felt from "burn-in" is probably a mix of everything.  But I do think that the effects of brain in > physical burn in. Sorta like Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.  I admit that over time I've grown an even greater appreciation for the TH900, something that I chalk up to more critical listening in various genres.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #13,676 of 18,765
I just have a "burnin" desire to listen to my la900 :p

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #13,677 of 18,765
I got the th900 today. I am very unimpressed with the bass. Is it better than my hd800 in bass, sure. But that is all it has on it, and there is not a lot of bass, as so many of you here claim. Maybe my eardrums were destroyed with my trial of the sz2000 eq'ed?

The video showing the fostex vibrating the sheet of paper seems strange. There doesn't feel like there is anywhere near that much bass.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #13,678 of 18,765
  I got the th900 today. I am very unimpressed with the bass. Is it better than my hd800 in bass, sure. But that is all it has on it, and there is not a lot of bass, as so many of you here claim. Maybe my eardrums were destroyed with my trial of the sz2000 eq'ed?

The video showing the fostex vibrating the sheet of paper seems strange. There doesn't feel like there is anywhere near that much bass.

what amp you are using ,,
i got my th900 mk2 before 2 weeks ,, and the base is killing me ,,
i also have LCD-X ,, and i think th900 have more bass ..

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #13,679 of 18,765
  what amp you are using ,,
i got my th900 mk2 before 2 weeks ,, and the base is killing me ,,
i also have LCD-X ,, and i think th900 have more bass ..

​I am using an Asgard 2. Is something wrong with my th900? Are you exaggerating about the bass at all? I mean the bass is here, but not a lot more prominent than my beyer dt990.

i bought the th900 on ebay from a big seller, as manufacturer refurbished. price was good, but it came with a few nicks in the cup and headband. i already emailed the seller to take them back since it wasn't listen in the description. thought about getting a replacement, but i am trying very hard to find something to be impressed by here.

the th900 also has significantly more sibilance than my HD800. some sounds are too piercing.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #13,680 of 18,765

Now that's a first.
I've had 4 pairs and can assure you the bass is thumping, punchy, fast and clean, exactly like everybody else claims here.
That's not a matter of preferences or taste, it's simply a fact.
So I assume there is something wrong with your cans, I can't imagine it being a setup thing. Tried another amp as well to rule that out?
All this on condition your eardrums aren't destroyed like you mention of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back