Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 18, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #13,681 of 18,765

​I am using an Asgard 2. Is something wrong with my th900? Are you exaggerating about the bass at all? I mean the bass is here, but not a lot more prominent than my beyer dt990.

i bought the th900 on ebay from a big seller, as manufacturer refurbished. price was good, but it came with a few nicks in the cup and headband. i already emailed the seller to take them back since it wasn't listen in the description. thought about getting a replacement, but i am trying very hard to find something to be impressed by here.

the th900 also has significantly more sibilance than my HD800. some sounds are too piercing.

May just not be your flavor? Have you tried any Audeze headphones?

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #13,682 of 18,765
Hmmm, eBay, big seller, manufacturer refurbished (usually crap). I think there's your problem.
Big seller means he buys a lot of stuff cheap and sells it with a profit. All fine if he doesn't sell phones to someone with golden ears.
You have PP buyer protection? Use that on him if he doesn't agree to take them back and buy a decent pair.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #13,683 of 18,765

​I love bassy headphones, which is why I bought these, but they lack any real punch. the bassiest track I know, Wiz Khalifa - My Level, has decent bass, but certainly nothing to make me say wow. The sz2000 when eq'ed literally made my entire face vibrate.

I am not sure if I was expecting too much, but everyone rates these to be great bass headphones. I don't think they even go as low as the cheap sz200 did, though it hits lower than my hd800 for sure.

Seller already agreed to refund my money due to not properly describing the product's damage - he really has no choice in this regard.

I have some $160 iem that have more impact than the th900 I got.

I tried the paper test for bass - paper doesn't vibrate at all.

Do any of you also have piercing sibilance? What about the paper test, did any of you perform it?

I am angry becasue i was really looking foward to these headphones.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #13,684 of 18,765

​I am using an Asgard 2. Is something wrong with my th900? Are you exaggerating about the bass at all? I mean the bass is here, but not a lot more prominent than my beyer dt990.

i bought the th900 on ebay from a big seller, as manufacturer refurbished. price was good, but it came with a few nicks in the cup and headband. i already emailed the seller to take them back since it wasn't listen in the description. thought about getting a replacement, but i am trying very hard to find something to be impressed by here.

the th900 also has significantly more sibilance than my HD800. some sounds are too piercing.

no not exaggerating at all .. i am burning them now to tame the triple ,, yes it is bright can for sure but only with bad records
yesterday i ordered the moon audio - silver dragon v3 cable, to lower the bass and enhance the mids
so i think your headphone is damaged ..

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #13,685 of 18,765

​I love bassy headphones, which is why I bought these, but they lack any real punch. the bassiest track I know, Wiz Khalifa - My Level, has decent bass, but certainly nothing to make me say wow. The sz2000 when eq'ed literally made my entire face vibrate.

I am not sure if I was expecting too much, but everyone rates these to be great bass headphones. I don't think they even go as low as the cheap sz200 did, though it hits lower than my hd800 for sure.

Seller already agreed to refund my money due to not properly describing the product's damage - he really has no choice in this regard.

I have some $160 iem that have more impact than the th900 I got.

I tried the paper test for bass - paper doesn't vibrate at all.

Do any of you also have piercing sibilance? What about the paper test, did any of you perform it?

I am angry becasue i was really looking foward to these headphones.

I literally don't think I could handle any more bass than the TH900 puts out. Sounds like your pair might be defective or something, if anything they might have too much bass IMO, but I like them specifcally for EDM/Dance,etc.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #13,687 of 18,765
I think it's simply a matter of "refurbished".
Customer with a good hearing purchased a $1200 pair of phones and returns them because they're obviously not sounding right. He gets a new pair and the defective pair gets shipped off to Fostex. There a technician has to evaluate them. He puts them on and says "hey, they produce sound", ticks the "no trouble found" box and off they go to be sold as refurbished.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #13,688 of 18,765
Customer with a good hearing purchased a $1200 pair of phones and returns them because they're obviously not sounding right. He gets a new pair and the defective pair gets shipped off to Fostex. There a technician has to evaluate them. He puts them on and says "hey, they produce sound", ticks the "no trouble found" box and off they go to be sold as refurbished.

This is so true.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #13,689 of 18,765

Well I think the Fostex folks (hopefully) know and do more than that.  However, I suspect sound sig preference may be the issue.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #13,690 of 18,765
  Well I think the Fostex folks (hopefully) know and do more than that.  However, I suspect sound sig preference may be the issue.

You still believe in fairytales my friend but I can assure you what you rightfully think should be done is not what happens.

Describe "Fostex folks" to me. You think the tech who sits behinds his desk checking incoming crap all day considers himself a Fostex ambassador?
Or he knows when a pair of phones sound right? He probably wears a pair of Beats on the train to and from work or his Apple ear buds who he got for free from Fostex since they made them anyway.
Or you suppose they hired an audiophile (whatever that is) to check the sound quality of every returned audio product? Or measure them?

What I wrote is not something I made up, it's something I see happening every day. :wink:

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #13,691 of 18,765
Even a refurbished pair should still sound like a TH900 though, unless some sort of mods were done to it. It would simply be whether or not it's working. And if it's working and he doesn't like it then it's just a sound preference thing it would seem. 

I think Audeze might be something he'd prefer more, bass slam but more body and less glaring treble. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #13,692 of 18,765

You still believe in fairytales my friend but I can assure you what you rightfully think should be done is not what happens.

Describe "Fostex folks" to me. You think the tech who sits behinds his desk checking incoming crap all day considers himself a Fostex ambassador?
Or he knows when a pair of phones sound right? He probably wears a pair of Beats on the train to and from work or his Apple ear buds who he got for free from Fostex since they made them anyway.
Or you suppose they hired an audiophile (whatever that is) to check the sound quality of every returned audio product? Or measure them?

What I wrote is not something I made up, it's something I see happening every day. :wink:

The techs I have encountered at some audio companies like Etymotics have truly impressed me with the dedication and handling of issues.  Since serious TH900 servicing is done only in Japan iirc (and since this is a flagship), I would suppose they have a dedicated team working there with standard op. procedures/ technical guidelines to follow.  If it sounds seriously wrong, a tech will know.  That is if they don't already reevaluate the FR.

Also, give more credit to technicians - as someone who has worked closely with them (albeit in a different field), while not all have the same attitude, a good number do believe in maintaining standards and backing their work.  I'm not apologizing for terrible product service I've seen, but I would like to think that Fostex does a decent job. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #13,693 of 18,765
It may be my preference to have expected and want powerful bass, but I feel like it lacks significant power. It is there, and not there, at the same time.

Can anyone perform this with their headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbgOzsXz_-A

I originally found that video here on headfi. There is 0 vibration when perform the same test.

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #13,694 of 18,765
Lacking power would be your amp. Have you tried it with any more powerful gear? I use mine with a Studio Six and it is a very powerful and dynamic amp and it hits extremely hard with the TH900 when the music calls for it. 

Aug 19, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #13,695 of 18,765
  It may be my preference to have expected and want powerful bass, but I feel like it lacks significant power. It is there, and not there, at the same time.

Can anyone perform this with their headphones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbgOzsXz_-A

I originally found that video here on headfi. There is 0 vibration when perform the same test.

In this case there may be a legitimate problem with the headphone.  Get it checked out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back